Darwin accepted Jesus?

Nick
User is offlineOffline
Darwin accepted Jesus?

Sometimes things get repeated over and over untill people begin to think they're actually true. This is one of those things.

There is a long standing rumor that Charles Darwin (you know... that guy who discovered evolution) recanted on his deathbed and accepted Jesus Christ as his savior. I've heard this multiple times from very ignorant people. I'm tired of hearing it, quite frankly. So, here's a response:

1. The story of Darwin's recanting is not true. Shortly after Darwin's death, Lady Hope told a gathering that she had visited Darwin on his deathbed and that he had expressed regret over evolution and had accepted Christ. However, Darwin's daughter Henrietta, who was with him during his last days, said Lady Hope never visited during any of Darwin's illnesses, that Darwin probably never saw her at any time, and that he never recanted any of his scientific views nor accepted any religion.(Clark 1984, 199; Yates 1994).

2. The story would be irrelevant even if true. The theory of evolution rests upon reams and reams of evidence from many different sources, not upon the authority of any person or persons.

If you have a Myspace, please post this in a bulliten so none of us have to hear this stupid rumor again.

QuestionMark696
QuestionMark696's picture
User is offlineOffline
thank you

thank you

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good Points! "You may

Good Points!

"You may believe in stones, brother. Just don't beam me with them!"
~Wafa Sultan

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
Who cares if he believed in

Who cares if he believed in god that doesnt change what he proved.

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." Albert Einstein

GrapeScentedGuru
GrapeScentedGuru's picture
User is offlineOffline
I find it hard to beleive

I find it hard to beleive that Charles Darwin would have converted to Christianity in light of all his research. However, it is possible that he may have done so in a near-death delerium. You never know, crazier things have happened.

TheFrog
TheFrog's picture
User is offlineOffline
im sure he was a christian

im sure he was a christian at some point (studying theology in college) but once he developed in interests in the sciences and wrote the origin of species he did not believe in the christian god any more due to its claiming of the earth being 6000 years old. he knew it takes longer that for species to change

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I thought like many during

I thought like many during his time that he was religious, but like many in our own time being religious does not make a person denounce evolution. It is cool that people found some real proof it was false though.

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
I feel bad for those old

I feel bad for those old time free-thinkers who always had a supposed miraculous deathbed conversion (I'm thinking of Voltaire in particular). But, even if they did accept theism in their final hours, it doesn't diminish their contribution at all.

You may believe in stones, brother. Just don't beam me with them!"
~Wafa Sultan

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am happy this is cleared

I am happy this is cleared up. I didnt think he did. It seemed too..... awkward. No way a guy like him would ever turn religious

stecky
User is offlineOffline
I hear this all the time

I hear this all the time from my Christian acquaintances. Thank you for clearing this up!

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you think they only said

Do you think they only said that because they wanted to collapse the evolution theory ? (stupid question)

GrapeScentedGuru
User is offlineOffline
Might be. Or it could be

Might be. Or it could be just a story. You should be careful before you call something an attack though.

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's true, rumors do

That's true, rumors do happen... esp. when they are ironic.

Still, It is used constantly as an arguement against evolution (and as if Darwin is some sort of Scientific Swami... Evolutionary theory has changed since Darwin, brillant as he was).

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
In the topic of Darwin

In the topic of Darwin scientist have found 2 new ecosystems in the depths of the pacific. They found a few hundred new spieces of fish and algy.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
i love discovery. it shows

i love discovery. it shows that there is alot more out there. which i like :)

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is still so much of

There is still so much of the earth that we have not yet discovered its amazing how much we still have to learn.

KimTheFaerieFreak
KimTheFaerieFreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
wonderful point. esspecially

wonderful point. esspecially since it doesn't matter at all what he believed it's what he proved that mattered. AND a lot of times, when people are close to death, they say stupid stuff that they probably don't mean. {we wouldn't know, because they're dead}

GrapeScentedGuru
User is offlineOffline
80% of life on Earth exists

80% of life on Earth exists underwater. 40% of that 80% live 30,000 feet underwater.

Nick
User is offlineOffline
WOW.

[quote=GrapeScentedGuru]80% of life on Earth exists underwater. 40% of that 80% live 30,000 feet underwater.[/quote]

0_0

KimTheFaerieFreak
KimTheFaerieFreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
only 20% of life on Earth

only 20% of life on Earth lives above water? THAT IS SO COOL! That will be my totally random fact of the day tomorrow.

Iconoclastithon
User is offlineOffline
It's not uncommon for fundy

It's not uncommon for fundy idiots to make such claims of famous freethinkers.

They did the same thing with Thomas Paine. But Thomas Paine died a devout deist and rejected the mythology of theism and christianity and revealed religion nonetheless.

Darwinf died an agnostic if I am not mistaken. Darwin did'nt deny that gof could exist, nor affirm it, to my understanding.
he simply did'nt really care either way. and he died unbiased to my understanding.

In Reason:
Icono

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline
I heard he was Agnostic. But

I heard he was Agnostic. But I could be wrong.