Imagining the Tenth Dimension

Toxicat
Toxicat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Imagining the Tenth Dimension

Are any of your guys familiar with this book? It doesn't have anything to do with religion really, but it's pretty interesting. If you go to the website ([url=http://www.tenthdimension.com/flash2.php]click[/url]) and go to "Imagining the Ten Dimensions" under the navigation section, there is a flash video explaining them all.

lol crzy amirite?

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
hmm what exactly are they

hmm what exactly are they about?

Thor
User is offlineOffline
Thats a great site, and it

Thats a great site, and it really helps you understand the dimensions. There is a problem however - some string theories require 32 dimensions! (eg Super String Theory - the most popular one)

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
hmm, i see now. well this is

hmm, i see now. well this is actually very cool. danke for the link :)

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
One of my friends used

One of my friends used string theory to try and prove god once. But string theory is very hard to argue because as for right now there is not much evidence its all theory, because they cant really see or tamper with the strings to prove there theory.

FSMllama
FSMllama's picture
User is offlineOffline
It was my understanding that

It was my understanding that they have begun to solve a lot of the issues with string theory by combining the existing string theories to create the new M-theory. The formula for M-theory combined all the remaining string theories and thus creating a total of 11 dimensions. Without M Theory string theory really doesn’t make sense because you have 6 different theories that are trying to explain the same thing.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
ha, well hey, science is not

ha, well hey, science is not always in absolutes now is it

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
I enjoyed this video

I enjoyed this video immensly, however, one criticism I have of it, is it treats Heisenberg's indeterminancy principle pseudo scientifically.

It says it is the same as the observer effect, which is a gross misstatement. Furthermore, not only is it not the observer effect, but they mistate the observer effect. the point of the observer effect is not that some mystical force changes the actions of particles, rather, that observing an object effects it. For example, measuring the position of a particle requires that you add electrons to it, partly in the form of light. This, in turn, speeds the particles up by adding energy to it, and prevents an objective measuring of the speed.

Furthermore, in particle-wave duality, to speak of the speed of the wave-particle, is to speak of the frequency of its repetitions, and thus, the speed of the wave. The speed of the individual particle, behaving as a quantum particle, is indeterminant, as quantum particles do not even travel in straight lines from Point A to Point B, as one would expect. So while you can tell the specific position of the particle, the speed is indeterminate, and based on the wave. On the other hand, you cannot tell the position of the wave, as a wave is merely a representation of a particle over time. This movement overtime gives you the speed of the wave over time, but not the individual spee dof the particle. To observe speed or position requires that you take independent, individual measurements, and thus cannot be done at the same time, due to the fact that the observer effect would bias either one.

Einstein claimed that it would be possible to bypass the observer effect and indeterminancy principle if you had perfect measurement devices, and knowledge of all the variables. Other physicists, claimed that there was an element of randomnity that could never be predicted, even with all the data. I personally agree with Einstein, but we will never have perfect information, so the point is meaningless.

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
More like a string

More like a string hypothesis... there are more viable theories:

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Trouble-Physics-String-Theory-Science/dp/0618551050/sr=8-1/qid=1158014460/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-7320577-3184065?ie=UTF8&s=books]The Trouble With Physics: The Rise of String Theory, the Fall of a Science, and What Comes Next[/url]