If you could remove one person from history...

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you could remove one person from history...

Okay, I was talking with my father and we somehow got on the whole "if you could kill one person in history" discussion. I was wondering - if you could remove someone in history (and of course assume that history would continue in some fasion similar to what we have today) who would it be? (obviously foir the moral good, not personal vengance)

Example: If you removed hitler then odds are that many Jews would still have been killed and that some war would have started. However, Hitler did speed up the process and play a major part in everyting.

I personally think that Jesus would be my canidate... yes people would be religious and killing would have gone on. However he is (one of) the causes of the dark ages (we were doing Ok with the pagan Gods)

I know that it is sort of pointless to imagine something that is impossiable... but i find this an interesting topic

P.S. Obviously killing is wrong and this is just theoretical

Sir-Think-A-Lot
Sir-Think-A-Lot's picture
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist

[quote=American Atheist]Stalin was not an atheist, in fact, he believed in creating his own religion to gain power.[/quote]

I think you have Stalin and Hitler mixed up.

Stalin was an athiest(although I suppse you could go the Sam Harris route and say he'd started a 'secular religion.'). It was Hitler who'd started his own religion: consisting of pagen beliefs, his own ideas of racial purity, and a few bits and pieces of Christian theology.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir-Think-A-Lot wrote: I

[quote=Sir-Think-A-Lot]

I think you have Stalin and Hitler mixed up.

Stalin was an athiest(although I suppse you could go the Sam Harris route and say he'd started a 'secular religion.'). It was Hitler who'd started his own religion: consisting of pagen beliefs, his own ideas of racial purity, and a few bits and pieces of Christian theology.[/quote]

No.

You see, organized religion has all these beliefs and it controls people. Stalin simply wanted to "get rid" of anything that was controlling people so he could definitely take over. But I heard he did believe in a religion, I can't remember the name of it, I heard about it on those educational tv shows a few months ago. I'll look for it later.

Sir-Think-A-Lot
Sir-Think-A-Lot's picture
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist wrote:But I

[quote=American Atheist]But I heard he did believe in a religion, I can't remember the name of it, I heard about it on those educational tv shows a few months ago. I'll look for it later.
[/quote]

Well he was a Jewish seminary student. But he left the faith and went on to follow Lennin instead.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
On the moses post, why not

On the moses post, why not adam?

Iconoclastithon
User is offlineOffline
Guruite wrote:On the moses

[quote=Guruite]On the moses post, why not adam? [/quote]

Beacuse it's even LESS liekly that Adam existed.
And also, Was Adam even half the tyrant that Moses was?
I don't think so.

In Reason:
Icono

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
I guess, but Adam spawned

I guess, but Adam spawned moses