Molecular complexity and Sentience

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
Molecular complexity and Sentience

When is the switch? Obviously the human would count as sentience, and water (assuming it is pure H2O) is a molecule. Where do you draw the line? Why?

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
JoshHickman wrote:When is

[quote=JoshHickman]When is the switch? Obviously the human would count as sentience, and water (assuming it is pure H2O) is a molecule. Where do you draw the line? Why?[/quote]
from wikipedia:

[i]Sentience refers to possession of sensory organs, the ability to feel or perceive, not necessarily including the faculty of self-awareness. The possession of sapience is not a necessity. The word sentient is often confused with the word sapient, which can connote knowledge, consciousness, or apperception. The root of the confusion is that the word conscious has a number of different usages in English. The two words can be distinguished by looking at their Latin roots: sentire, "to feel"; and sapere, "to know".[/i]

[i]Sentience is the ability to sense. It is separate from, and not dependent on, aspects of consciousness.[/i]

that pretty much sums it up.
water molecules don't have sensory organs, or the ability to sense things.
they only react depending on what other molecules, elements, particles, and/or energy (mechanical and/or electromagnetic) there is around it.
its reactions are automatic, and different from [i]sensing[/i] things around it. sensing is only the ability to percieve.

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
EVERYTHING is a mechanical

EVERYTHING is a mechanical automatic reaction. He do not 'will' the molecules in our bodies to move. I ask when the system is complicated enough to say there is a sort of sensing. You can tell a computer to check and make sure it is running, but does that make is sentient?

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, as a matter of fact, it

Yes, as a matter of fact, it does. It's not sentient life, but it could be called sentient.

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
JoshHickman wrote:EVERYTHING

[quote=JoshHickman]EVERYTHING is a mechanical automatic reaction. He do not 'will' the molecules in our bodies to move. I ask when the system is complicated enough to say there is a sort of sensing. You can tell a computer to check and make sure it is running, but does that make is sentient? [/quote]something is sentient if it has the ability to percieve events outside itself, and make sense of them in some way. not just react with them.

a computer has a mouse and keyboard, and sometimes things like a scanner, webcam, microphone etc. they are like sensory organs, which detect and interpret events outside them.

a computer does not have a consciousness, but being sentient does not depend on consciousness.