I dont get most christians...

AutumnB
User is offlineOffline
I dont get most christians...

im 13 and at my school almost everyone is a christian. There is this certain group were u can say a cuss word and they will gasp. One of my bff was in there clique last year and they kicked her out when they found out she wasnt so religious. They are constantly telling me and my friends that not believing in god is wrong. They call us devil worshipers, which isnt true. We dont even believe in the devil. I am friends with people from a variety of religions. I love learnirng about their points of view. But out of all of them i just dont understand christianity. I mean, they are supposed to love everyone, but they hate homosexuals, atheists, abortions, and anything that the bible says is wrong. Doesnt that kind of contridict itself? I used to be a christian and most of my family are christians (everyone except my mom) None of my family knows im atheist and i would probably get sent to church alot if i told them, with the exception of my mom. Y must most christians try to change you, dont they understand u dont want to be changed. I mean it takes everything i have not to slap the sneers off the christian cliques face when they say "your going to burn if u dont believe in god" Sometimes I just want to scream WELL I HOPE THE HANDBAGS CONFORTABLE!!! Well write back to this. Thanx 4 reading!

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
AutumnB wrote:I mean, they

[quote=AutumnB]I mean, they are supposed to love everyone, but they hate homosexuals, atheists, abortions, and anything that the bible says is wrong.[/quote]

Well, they don't consider atheists/agnostics/gays to be their "brothers and sisters" according to the Bible. That's why.

Oh well, anyway I'll just let the Christians respond to your thread.

P-Dunn
P-Dunn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:im 13 and at my school

[quote]im 13 and at my school almost everyone is a christian.[/quote]
Not surprising. You don't encounter many atheists at 13.

[quote]There is this certain group were u can say a cuss word and they will gasp.[/quote]
I know a few like that. I personally don't curse very often, but I've come to grips with the fact that practically everyone else does.

[quote]One of my bff was in there clique last year and they kicked her out when they found out she wasnt so religious.[/quote]
That's a shame. I'm sorry for her.

[quote]They are constantly telling me and my friends that not believing in god is wrong.[/quote]
As they should. If Christianity is true, and you're going to Hell, then they should be doing anything in their power to convince you that it is true.

[quote]They call us devil worshipers, which isnt true. We dont even believe in the devil.[/quote]
As they shouldn't. I really hate it when Christians do this.

[quote]I am friends with people from a variety of religions. I love learnirng about their points of view. But out of all of them i just dont understand christianity.[/quote]
What's difficult to understand?

[quote]I mean, they are supposed to love everyone, but they hate homosexuals, atheists, abortions, and anything that the bible says is wrong. Doesnt that kind of contridict itself?[/quote]
That shouldn't reflect badly on Christianity, or make it difficult to understand. That should merely reflect badly on [b]Christians[/b]. It's merely a fact: People are hypocritical across the board, regardless of their worldview.

I would make the point though that we are not supposed to condone sin. [i]Agape[/i] love, as it means in the verse saying "Love your neighbor," is more inclined to meaning "tough love" than actual "love."

[quote]I used to be a christian and most of my family are christians (everyone except my mom)[/quote]
Out of curiosity, why did you deconvert? I really hope it wasn't due to hypocritical Christians.

[quote]None of my family knows im atheist and i would probably get sent to church alot if i told them, with the exception of my mom.[/quote]

[quote]Y must most christians try to change you, dont they understand u dont want to be changed.[/quote]
This is in relation to what I mentioned above. We Christians believe that atheists will be eternally seperated from God after death. Most of us don't want that to happen to anyone, and thus, we want you to become Christians.

Atheists of course don't want to believe that they have to submit to a higher power. It's initially not a very pleasant thought for someone who believes they have their own moral standard. But wouldn't it be more important to change your ways if you knew your eternal life was on the line, as it were?

[quote]I mean it takes everything i have not to slap the sneers off the christian cliques face when they say "your going to burn if u dont believe in god"[/quote]
You won't have to slap my nonexistant sneer off of my face. I don't buy the crap that Hell is flaming torture.

[quote]Sometimes I just want to scream WELL I HOPE THE HANDBAGS CONFORTABLE!!! Well write back to this. Thanx 4 reading![/quote]
You're welcome for reading.

As cliche as this may sound, I really do hope you find God. Not because you'll burn if you don't, but because he loves you and wants you back.

Sir-Think-A-Lot
Sir-Think-A-Lot's picture
User is offlineOffline
AutumnB wrote:im 13 and at

[quote=AutumnB]im 13 and at my school almost everyone is a christian. [/quote]

No big surprise there. Although out of curosity why arent you a Christian?

[quote]There is this certain group were u can say a cuss word and they will gasp. [/quote]

YEa I hate people like that. Although I generally dont cuss out of respect for whoever might be listening, theres nothing biblically wrong with it.

[quote]One of my bff was in there clique last year and they kicked her out when they found out she wasnt so religious. [/quote]

I'm sorry for her. Was she an athiest/agnostic or was she just less extreme in her faith than all of them?

[quote]They are constantly telling me and my friends that not believing in god is wrong.[/quote]

As they should, Christians are called to speak the truth, not matter what. Although it sounds as if they could at least change their methods of speaking at least.

[quote]They call us devil worshipers, which isnt true. We dont even believe in the devil.[/quote]

True this is just ignorance on their part. I'm not sure if theres anything you can do about it though. unfortunitly.

[quote]I am friends with people from a variety of religions. I love learnirng about their points of view.[/quote]

As do I. Its good to here that you do too.

[quote]But out of all of them i just dont understand christianity.[/quote]

Really? What makes them so hard to understand?

[quote]I mean, they are supposed to love everyone, but they hate homosexuals, atheists, abortions, and anything that the bible says is wrong. Doesnt that kind of contridict itself? [/quote]

Indeed it does. Christians are not called to hate anybody. Those who do are indeed violating the Bibles commands

On the other hand, Christians are not called to condone sin either. I wonder how much of what you perceve to be 'hate' is actually their attempts to tell you what you are doing is wrong.

[quote]Y must most christians try to change you, dont they understand u dont want to be changed. [/quote]

Because they believe you are wrong. If someone is wrong I tell them so. It doesnt matter what the issue is. If I'm wrong I expect someone to correct me. Its that simple.

[quote]I mean it takes everything i have not to slap the sneers off the christian cliques face when they say "your going to burn if u dont believe in god" [/quote]

You wont have to do that with me. I dont get sneers on my face when I tell someone they're going to hell because I honestly dont want to see them go there. But I'm not going to avoid telling them the truth just because I dont like it.

Also I dont buy into the whole dante-esque, 'fire and brimstone' verision of hell, but thats a slightly seperate issue.

[quote]Thanx 4 reading!
[/quote]

Your welcome.

P-Dunn
P-Dunn's picture
User is offlineOffline
WOW. Sir-Think-A-Lot, look

WOW. Sir-Think-A-Lot, look at how similar our posts are. People might start thinking we're the same person! Ahahahaha...

Sir-Think-A-Lot
User is offlineOffline
P-Dunn wrote:WOW.

[quote=P-Dunn]WOW. Sir-Think-A-Lot, look at how similar our posts are. People might start thinking we're the same person! Ahahahaha...[/quote]

hehe yea. I hadnt bothered to read your post before I responded. Otherwise I'm sure it would have been somewhat shorter.

I did take slightly different paths one some issues, for example I made it a point to say taht cussing wasnt wrong(although it can be rude in some circumstances).

I also emphasiesed that Christians try to convert people because they are wrong. Instead because we dont want to see them in hell.

I happen to be of the opinion that Christians(or any other religious follower for that matter) should follow God because it is the right thing to do, rather than to recieve rewards and/or avoid punishments. As the latter is a weaker form of faith and has led to 'Health and wealth' gosples and other herecies.

P-Dunn
P-Dunn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:hehe yea. I hadnt

[quote]hehe yea. I hadnt bothered to read your post before I responded. Otherwise I'm sure it would have been somewhat shorter.

I did take slightly different paths one some issues, for example I made it a point to say taht cussing wasnt wrong(although it can be rude in some circumstances).[/quote]
I know that one of the most frequently used verses for establishing that cursing is wrong is Ephesians 4:29. What would you say in response to people who would use that?

You should read my blog entry about profanity at p-dunn.blogspot.com for my full opinion on profanity in general.

[quote]I also emphasiesed that Christians try to convert people because they are wrong. Instead because we dont want to see them in hell.

I happen to be of the opinion that Christians(or any other religious follower for that matter) should follow God because it is the right thing to do, rather than to recieve rewards and/or avoid punishments. As the latter is a weaker form of faith and has led to 'Health and wealth' gosples and other herecies.[/quote]
Oh, of course. So am I. I think "to get to Heaven" is perhaps the weakest reason to become a Christian. But I do just see that with the consequence of being flat out wrong comes eternal seperation from God, and that is undeniably a terrible fate.

Sir-Think-A-Lot
User is offlineOffline
P-Dunn wrote:I know that one

[quote=P-Dunn]I know that one of the most frequently used verses for establishing that cursing is wrong is Ephesians 4:29. What would you say in response to people who would use that?[/quote]

I think you cited the wrong verse:

[quote=Ephisians 4:29] For no one ever hated his own body: on the contrary, he provides and cares for it; and that is how Chirst treats the Church, because it is his body, of which we are living parts[/quote]

This context is talking about how and why men should care for their wives(and comparing it to how Christ treats the church).

Anywho I am aware that there are biblical commands against 'hate speech,' 'offensive language' and other such things(I dont have a direct citation, I'm terrible with memorizing stuff like that). But I would say that wouldnt condemn cussing per se, but rather the use of such language when it will offend people(or worse for the express purpose of offending people). If you're in company that isnt bothered by it, then it is not wrong(perhaps the concept of the weaker brother plays a part here?). I would also add that this would not only apply to cuss words, but to anything hatefull said to someone, regardless of the language used.

[quote]You should read my blog entry about profanity at p-dunn.blogspot.com for my full opinion on profanity in general.[/quote]

I might.

P-Dunn
P-Dunn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I think you cited the

[quote]I think you cited the wrong verse: [/quote]
Nope, you looked up Ephesians 5:29 instead. :-)

Ephesians 4:29 says, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is worthy of building others up according to their needs, that they may benefit those who listen."

[quote]This context is talking about how and why men should care for their wives(and comparing it to how Christ treats the church).

[quote]Anywho I am aware that there are biblical commands against 'hate speech,' 'offensive language' and other such things(I dont have a direct citation, I'm terrible with memorizing stuff like that). But I would say that wouldnt condemn cussing per se, but rather the use of such language when it will offend people(or worse for the express purpose of offending people). If you're in company that isnt bothered by it, then it is not wrong(perhaps the concept of the weaker brother plays a part here?). I would also add that this would not only apply to cuss words, but to anything hatefull said to someone, regardless of the language used. [/quote]
That makes sense. It's sort of what I've always thought.

I still think that we should abstain from cursing merely because it does offend people, and we don't know who may be offended by it.

Sir-Think-A-Lot
User is offlineOffline
P-Dunn wrote:Quote:I think

[quote=P-Dunn][quote]I think you cited the wrong verse: [/quote]
Nope, you looked up Ephesians 5:29 instead. :-)

Ephesians 4:29 says, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is worthy of building others up according to their needs, that they may benefit those who listen." [/quote]

lol that I did.

Anywho I stand by what I said earlier. "Unwholesome talk" is largely in the eye of the beholder. Growing up in the military, where bad language is the only one known, I never saw it as 'unwholesome' but as almost normal. And the concept can apply to many other situations besides profanity.