Up for a debate? Atheist to atheist.

FTT Management
User is offlineOffline
Up for a debate? Atheist to atheist.

YOU RESPOND:

[quote]
----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Sep 27, 2006 9:23 PM

Despite the idiot zealots in the world causing war, how many true followers of good religions have nothing *but* their religion to keep them out of trouble? How many people would kill themselves without their belief in God? And how many people have come out of bad situations because of their beliefs in a god.

So, what would the world be like *really* if there weren't churches and established rules that no one can undermine because, well, it's "god's word"[/quote]

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
Maybe it's true that some

Maybe it's true that some people are good just because they're afraid of divine punishment (though I doubt it). Are they really good? Of course not... they're just afraid, as a murderer or a rapist who pretends to be law-abiding in the presence of a cop. Are depressed people becoming mentally healthy by believing in God? They're still suicidal... they aren't getting any help by false threats or promises, they need therapy. As for overcoming bad situations... yes it feels good to think that your loved ones are in heaven kissing God's ass, yet when my father died about a year ago, it was more liberating to accept his demise, grieve and move on. What would the world be like without religion?

people would:

- appreciate life for what it really is, a priceless blink
- be loving and moral for the sake of it and not to gain God's favor
- be reluctant to follow orders by deluded and manipulative "God-sent" leaders
- be more tolerant of different cultures and lifestyles

We don't need religions to maintain our social structure. Take for example Europe and Japan, many people there aren't religious, yet crime rates are very lower than in USA. Pasting from http://www.humaniststudies.org/enews/index.html?id=219&article=7

"Top of the class, in both atheism and good behavior, come the Japanese. Over eighty percent accept evolution and fewer than ten percent are certain that God exists. Despite its size – over a hundred million people – Japan is one of the least crime-prone countries in the world. It also has the lowest rates of teenage pregnancy of any developed nation.

Next in line are the Norwegians, British, Germans and Dutch. At least sixty percent accept evolution as a fact and fewer than one in three are convinced that there is a deity. There is little teenage pregnancy , although the Brits, with over 40 pregnancies per 1,000 girls a year, do twice as badly as the others. Homicide rates are also low -- around 1-2 victims per 100,000 people a year.

At the other end of the scale comes America. Over 50 percent of Americans believe in God, and only 40 percent accept some form of evolution (many believe it had a helping hand from the Deity). The U.S. has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy and homicide rates are at least five times greater than in Europe and ten times higher than in Japan."

Voided
User is offlineOffline
It's My Life wrote:Despite

[quote=It's My Life]Despite the idiot zealots in the world causing war, how many true followers of good religions have nothing *but* their religion to keep them out of trouble?[/quote]
How many weak minded people are there? If religion is the only thing keeping them out of trouble then they have a lower sense of morality then most.
[quote]How many people would kill themselves without their belief in God?[/quote]
Again how many weak minded people are there? All you are implying is that people can't live without the idea of god...
[quote]And how many people have come out of bad situations because of their beliefs in a god.[/quote]
I don't know but if their belief was anything it was just a placebo...
[quote]So, what would the world be like *really* if there weren't churches and established rules that no one can undermine because, well, it's "god's word"[/quote]
Probably one that can grow and change with time. The godless still have morals don't be a fool.

mleeph
User is offlineOffline
RE: up for a debate?

Religion as a positive influence? That's a complicated issue. Here are my thoughts on the matter:

My grandmother, a Swiss immigrant who divorced her husband after raising two sons (both of whom moved away, leaving her alone), converted to Hinduism in her old age. The general consensus in my family is that this is the most positive thing that she ever did. Now, rather than being the lost, aimless, and depressed person she once was, she has a focus in life. So I suppose one might say that for her, religion has been a good thing.

But when I went to visit her recently, and walked around the Ashram where she lives, I realized that it wasn't her religion that was keeping her together at all. It was the tight-knit group of people. It was the work and the gardens. It was the feeling of community that she gained from the experience.

Based on this experience I would argue that those who "need" religion are really after something a little simpler: acceptance. We humans are social creatures. We benefit from having a community, and organized religion is one way to find that community. Ritual began as a community-building act; there's nothing mystical about it.

So in my opinion, religion is superfluous. There is little that one can gain from attending church that can't be gained from attending any other social gathering. A priest can teach us no more than any other "parent figure". It's people who do the work of supporting others, not gods. The only difference between a church and a book club, or between a priest and a school teacher, is that book clubs and school teachers don't generally advocate the stoning of blasphemers.

The day we rid ourselves of religious institutions-- my grandmother's included-- will be the day we take our future and our society back into our own hands.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
In my Intro to Psychology

In my Intro to Psychology class one of the determining factors of happiness was religion. It showed that people did seem happier if they were active in their religious. However I think that this was mainly due to the fellowship of this.

I personally think that people are generally good and also that they are born without a concept of God (im not sure of this but it seems logical to me) Since God is taught to people then it is not inherent for their moral well being. Beleving in God (as far as I know) does not make people any better than not beleving in him

Again, how many suicide bombers, abortion clinic bombers, witch hunters, and danites are atheists? (as far as i know witch hunters and danites are gone... but the point is still valid)

patches
patches's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion helps people as a

Religion helps people as a whole. It's as you said, the fellowship that accually helps them be happier.
Personally I think atheists are better people as a whole than theists, because they are not scared into being good by some fictitious being.Religion is like a parent scaring kid into doing what they think is right. And to control them.

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think humanism is a great

I think humanism is a great alternative to religion. Because who is better at makingyou do crap than other people, considering they actually exist!

Note: I said this mostly for shock value, and because it is true. They DO exist.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
I beleve that ateists are,

I beleve that ateists are, percentage wise, one of the lowest minorities in the prison system.

This is because, without religion, people must think!

Btw, The humanism that you describe is a little twisted (but funny hehe)

I think that humanism is the only train of thought that gives people as much credit as they deserve. If you beleve in the supernatural... well than man's accomplishements seem dumb.

patches
patches's picture
User is offlineOffline
Guruite wrote:I beleve that

[quote=Guruite]I beleve that ateists are, percentage wise, one of the lowest minorities in the prison system.

[/quote]

they are. I think it's like less than 20% or around there.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
I meant that if you take how

I meant that if you take how many atheists are in the country vs how many are in the prison system

and if you took the number of theists in the country vs how many are in the prison system

the athist percentage would be lower (or mabey you understood this)

(sorry... i just realized that less than 20 % could be according to populaton... not accoring to the total prison system (like.. less than 20 % of inmates are atheists... nvm...)

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am sorry, how is humanism

I am sorry, how is humanism twisted? This guy just cited God as having the value i just attributed to humans. How is that not as twisted?

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Because who is better

[quote]Because who is better at makingyou do crap than other people, considering they actually exist! [/quote]

Being a humanist because people can make you do stuff is a little twisted...

But ya, Theism is more twisted... I beleve in humanism because we are capable of things that are great.. not because i can be controlled by other humans...

No, Humanism rocks... but if your a humanist because people can make you do stuff then your reasoning is twisted.. you should be a humanist because humans rock and we have accomplished so much...

Idk, i might have misunderstood you

MathMollySwims
User is offlineOffline
Ok Im going to say exactly

Ok Im going to say exactly what I said in the last forum!

"By they way I've come through many many difficult times in my life, with out God. You dont need to rely on something that we have no evidence of to get comfort and security."

You can pull out of bad situations with or without God, it depends on YOUR strength and belief in YOURSELF. And whats with the how many teens would kill themselves without God?!?! Come on, theres plenty teen free thinkers, alive and well. Theres plenty of adult free thinkers living wonderful lives.

Maybe YOU just dont have enough strength yourself, so you have to rely on something such as God, to pull yourself out of bad times.

I hope that whoever sent that to you knows that were always going to come up with a counter point, no matter what.