Education

twistedandy
twistedandy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Education

I'm in a World History class and we're learning about Christianity and how it spread and the history of it and such and such. But I don't want to learn it. I don't want to discuss about it, I don't want to hear about it, and I don't want to do the homework for it. Is it possible for me to not learn it? What kind of reason do I give the teacher? Is it mandatory to learn it?

debaser
debaser's picture
User is offlineOffline
i think it would be a good

i think it would be a good thing to learn about, although you dont believe in it. as long as they're not preaching it to you or asking you to convert or whatever, i see no reason why it wouldnt be a good thing to know. whether you want to accept it or not, christianity is a huge thing and if you want to change anything about that, knowing its history is a good step to take.

Kyzer
Kyzer's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why not just learn about it,

Why not just learn about it, is it that big of a deal?

Really, it sounds like your more lazy than anything else...

By doing this, your being just like those radical and annoying christians who refuse to learn about evolution.

Toxicat
Toxicat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:By doing this, your

[quote]By doing this, your being just like those radical and annoying christians who refuse to learn about evolution.[/quote]

Yep. I'm pretty sure I was the only person in my biology class who wasn't religious and I couldn't believe how close-minded people were; that they weren't even willing to learn about evolution just because it contradicted some of their beliefs.

Personally, I like to learn about christianity and other religions just so I'll have that knowledge in case I need it, you know? And if my parents say I don't know enough about christianity to be disbelieving, I have information to back myself up.

legendlette
legendlette's picture
User is offlineOffline
I understand where this is

I understand where this is coming from and it's not necessarily being lazy...

Personally, I'd rather learn about religions and the history of them on my free time. It's more of a hobby, and if it is a part of a school curriculum it ruins it for me. I usually retain less of the vital information if I'm being made to research and read on religion.

I'd still do the work, but it'd make me unhappy to have to.

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is mandatory because to

It is mandatory because to understand the way the world is, you gotta understand the impact that Christianity has had.

Bear with it if you can... Best of luck

Amy
Amy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Like debaser said, as long

Like debaser said, as long as they aren't preaching it, I don't see anything wrong with it. It might be interesting just to hear about it, it doesn't mean you are a Christian if you learn about their religion. In one of my classes, we had a discussion about Evolution. A few people who I know that are Christian said they would like to learn about Evolution, just because they thought it was an interesting topic.

Becca Hughes
Becca Hughes's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well I had to do something

Well I had to do something about that and I just told my teacher I dint belive In what he waz Teaching me. So he gave me diffrent woek and let me sit in the Teachers work room and do my work there. So I guess just tell your teacher the way you feel and maybe he or She will understand. If not take it up with the princeapal or something. Tho mine today would laugh and kick me out of school for the main fact he is a preacher...go figure!

rahulkghosh
rahulkghosh's picture
User is offlineOffline
twistedandy wrote:I'm in a

[quote=twistedandy]I'm in a World History class and we're learning about Christianity and how it spread and the history of it and such and such. But I don't want to learn it. I don't want to discuss about it, I don't want to hear about it, and I don't want to do the homework for it. Is it possible for me to not learn it? What kind of reason do I give the teacher? Is it mandatory to learn it?[/quote]

Generally, I'd say the best thing to do is be quite and stay to yourself. I guess it isn't that bad. Like for instance, my main huge issue with education in school and even universities is education about World War II. I'm a Holocaust skeptic and Nazi sympathizer. I find much of the material being taught in schools/universities as being highly offensive and absolutely brain-washing. However, I always keep to myself. I know well for a fact that if I were to ever type a report or something about Hitler's pacifism or questioning the Holocaust, I would get a very bad grade. But hey, learning about the spread of religion isn't that bad. I guess learning about it can be made as a way of being something humorous. Think of it as a joke.

rahulkghosh
rahulkghosh's picture
User is offlineOffline
agreed. I mean, if it is

agreed. I mean, if it is teaching about the 'spreading' of Christianity, I guess it isn't that big of a thing. One thing that I'd hate though, is if the material being learned would leave people who are religious be at an 'advantage'.

skittlesrock
skittlesrock's picture
User is offlineOffline
In world history religion is

In world history religion is always taught....we learned about buddism,christianity,and others. I think if you talk to your teacher they may understand. But also learning about it is not going to hurt you I mean its better to pass school than not. Just go along with it and you may not believe but you will make it through it.

Kian
Kian's picture
User is offlineOffline
The more you learn about

The more you learn about christianity the better position you'll be in to refute it. ...Because the more you learn, the more you see how incredibly absured it is.

I am getting a minor in religious studies (major women's studies, double minor philo and religion) only because I want to know the enemy to more effectively fight it.

highraven
highraven's picture
User is offlineOffline
In life you must know the

In life you must know the enemy to fight! learn their stratigies(Spelling?) Only then can we win...