Problem with getting off topic in threads

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
Problem with getting off topic in threads

This seems to be an increasing problem on the forum. I know i am guilty of this as well but it just seems to be getting worse. I would just ask if we could all focus a little more in the topic threads. Just a thought.

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think that it would be

I think that it would be good to make threads with the express purpose of getting derailed, and then stay on topic in the more serious ones.

BTW, Does anyone like free stuff... J/K

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well in my opinion the best

Well in my opinion the best thing to do would be make a spam and discussion section that people can freely talk in. But that section would get no points. And the rest of the forum open to debating. The only reason I bring up the point thing is because I guess the points will be used to get stuff? That is my understanding and it doesn’t seem fair to spam like crazy and than get stuff when the point the of this forum is for debate and free thought not getting free stuff.

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree, but I don't see too

I agree, but I don't see too many people just spaming conversations (and esp. not in debates).

Sometimes it is nice to talk to people about things that aren't so serious. And all conversations help build a tighter community.

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
True but its kind of

True but its kind of annoying when you post a rebuttal to someone and than you come back and there are 50 little things you have to read through to finally find someone who made a counterpoint to what you said.

That is my only compliant

Toxicat
Toxicat's picture
User is offlineOffline
The points thing so far has

The points thing so far has been kind of, well, pointless. But once the reward system is introduced and more people join I think spamming could become an issue. The discussion forum is a good idea but isn't that kind of what general chat is for?

blood pig
blood pig's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah I kind of agree with

Yeah I kind of agree with the point thing. Keep the actual topics about real good discussions with the points..and the random shit pointless

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yah, maybe there could be a

Yah, maybe there could be a way to, I dunno, like rate how many points a post should get?

But that might get confusing and complicated... and rigamarolish,

I dunno.

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
I personaly think that the

I personaly think that the points thing should be switched, 6 points for new topic an 3 for replies but thats just me.

WOHO 2nd person to 1000 points lol.

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good on yah mate!

Good on yah mate!

Sapient
User is offlineOffline

[quote=Bryan T]Well in my opinion the best thing to do would be make a spam and discussion section that people can freely talk in. But that section would get no points.[/quote]

Good idea, but rather hard to implement on the programming side.

[quote]The only reason I bring up the point thing is because I guess the points will be used to get stuff?[/quote]

Yup. And it doesn't bother us at all that you guys will get free stuff just for hanging out here. We look at FreethinkingTeens.com as an opportunity to give back, from our standpoint. It's ok, post whoring is fine with us, although we aren't big fans of it, we're ok with it, if that's how you choose to express yourself.

[quote]That is my understanding and it doesn’t seem fair to spam like crazy[/quote]

If you mean spam as in this type of post:
http://www.freethinkingteens.com/node/2156. Then I'm not a big fan. Threads like THAT, kind of get me down, although I understand. We have built a community here for you folks, there is no need to steer people to a piece of shit myspace community (no offense), just hang out here.

If you mean "spam" as in post whoring, then as I said, we're cool with that. If that's how someone chooses to express themselves. All we ask is that posts have substance behind them. I would say that you should probably have at least two sentences per post. I noticed a post of this: :-x

Posts like that, are weak, and need more to them. Although again, it's not the end of the world to us, it's ok. We want to hook you guys and gals up with free stuff, we look forward to it. Keep in mind however others may view you differently if you simply post whore. Additionally, if down the road, the teen mods of this site (when we get the full fleet) are assembled choose to make a rule against "post whoring" then it'll need to come to an end.

[quote]and than get stuff when the point the of this forum is for debate and free thought not getting free stuff. [/quote]

I think maybe a good compromise would be to only post whore in the "General Conversation" category, even though you'll still get points. This way a good discussion and debate can happen in the other more specific forums. Thoughts?

Sapient
User is offlineOffline

[quote=Stephen]Yah, maybe there could be a way to, I dunno, like rate how many points a post should get?

But that might get confusing and complicated... and rigamarolish,

I dunno.[/quote]

There are karma systems available, I'll look into instituting one, but it'll take us time. How it would work is, you would have the ability to vote on how good a post was on every post. A persons "karma" rating would be shown under their name. So if someone is disruptive or is constantly annoying, unliked, has shitty views, etc... then that person will have a low karma.

You could even take this a step further and ban the person with the lowest karma every month, unless the mods decided otherwise. This would help prune disruprtive people from the site. You could even reward the people with the highest karma, above and beyond the point system.

I really like that idea but it could take us time... months and months. Keep in mind that from while from your standpoint this forum may be very active, from ours it is still in the womb, and it has a whole life ahead of it. We have many upgrades we want to install, they just take time. I personally guarantee you'll see thousands and thousands of people here within a relatively short time period. (reluctant to put a number on it)

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient on a few other

Sapient on a few other forums im on for some online games i play they have sections like that. If you want i can talk to some of the admins and ask about the coding if you would like.

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I really like that

[quote]I really like that idea but it could take us time... months and months. Keep in mind that from while from your standpoint this forum may be very active, from ours it is still in the womb, and it has a whole life ahead of it. We have many upgrades we want to install, they just take time. I personally guarantee you'll see thousands and thousands of people here within a relatively short time period. (reluctant to put a number on it)[/quote]

Well thats cool. I am certain that this place will grow quiet rapidly.
I mean, its only a few weeks old and it is already got a good few members.

*snippity*

KimTheFaerieFreak
KimTheFaerieFreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient - yeah that was my

Sapient - yeah that was my spam post. Incredibly sorry.

I think that the spam and pointless posts should be worth less points than meaningful posts. But that would be impossible to put...I think. Because no one is going to go through every single post when this site gets better to see how many points they should get,

GrapeScentedGuru
GrapeScentedGuru's picture
User is offlineOffline
I really like 12 Oz. Mouse.

I really like 12 Oz. Mouse. Who else likes 12 Oz. Mouse?

Kidding. But yes, I agree.

blood pig
blood pig's picture
User is offlineOffline
jdksjdks

[quote=GrapeScentedGuru]I really like 12 Oz. Mouse. Who else likes 12 Oz. Mouse?

Kidding. But yes, I agree.[/quote]
That shows fucking dope..omg..
But yeah. It's getting hard to keep up with and when half the shit's off topic I don't bother to read a lot of it.
especially if useless things are said.
I know i'm guilty for a bit of it but i'm definitely trying.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Bryan T wrote:Sapient on a

[quote=Bryan T]Sapient on a few other forums im on for some online games i play they have sections like that. If you want i can talk to some of the admins and ask about the coding if you would like.[/quote]

Sure feel free, although I think it'll be very rare for you to find someone able to help. Our issue isn't that we don't know how to do it, it's that it's not worth the time:

This program needs to be rewritten and altered: http://drupal.org/project/userpoints

That's the program we use, alter it, and we can upload it. But alterations need to be tight, too many programmers use shit code, and then it breaks down other areas of the site.

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
well the forusm im on are

well the forusm im on are with people i play with in the game and i am also a mod on the forum so i am close with most of the admins to code the forum. I will see what they say.