What do your parents thing?

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
What do your parents thing?

My parents made a huge deal out of me not believing in god. They even go as far to say stupid stuff like "can you pass the salt, or dont you believe in that either". Its really sad how adults thing they know everything. I love getting into debates with adults because i get a chance to prove them wrong. My parents are terrible with religon though. My mom is protestant and my dad is catholic, i was raised catholic. I actually almost god kick out of sunday school for repeatedly questioning the nuns lol. Anyway i was wondering if any of you had the same problems with your parents reacting to you not believing in there god?

Bryan

P-Dunn
P-Dunn's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't suppose that this is

I don't suppose that this is relevant for me as a Christian, but I'll answer anyway.

My dad's a Christian, as is my mom. They're both active in my church. But at the same time, my dad's incredibly smart. I don't like debating anything with him, because he almost always wins. He's read so much, and like me, he likes to think intellectually about things like faith and religion rather than accept it blindly.

[quote]I've written enough articles and researched enough, that even if poeple don't like my viewpoint, they know better to challenge me on it. That's why I've moved to online communities.[/quote]
Hahaha!

Online, you can meet with people who do their research and write articles too and who aren't afraid to argue. :-)

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
[quote=P-DunnI don't like

[quote=P-Dunn] don't like debating anything with him, because he almost always wins.[/quote]

What do you debate about?

Li Yuki
Li Yuki's picture
User is offlineOffline
Very interesting

Very interesting posts.

About 2 years ago i started to openly come out about my atheism, though i really started to "deconvert" myself when i was in the 6th grade. I still haven't told my dad because he is one of those hardcore catholics but the rest of my family pretty much knows about it, of course excluding my dad's side of the family.

My mom is half way in denile about the whole thing and whenever we have a debate about religion i usually(always) get her to the point where she can't say anything back to my logic so she starts to attack my character and who i am. Then shortly after that she grumply stomps off and comes back 5 hours later and tells me that i ruined her day but won't tell me how i ruined her day. Its kind of like the whole playing chess with a penguin thing. They knock over all the pieces, shits on the board, and angerly waddles away then comes back 5 hours later to yell at you about something they can't remember anything about.

I live in a very religious town. We have more churches than movie theaters and grocere stores combined where i live, and i am pretty much the only atheist to top it off. Their are a few agnostics(3 to be exact) but their all afraid to really question religion and lean more towards religious faith than anything else......they are kind of like vacationing christians(if that even makes sense). Anyways so i get a lot of shit for my ideals where i live. Whenever someone asks me about atheism i usually end up debating at lease 3-6 christians at a time. I had this one crazy devote baptist girl that kept on trying to convert me and wouldn't leave me alone and she wasn't able to understand the reason why i blocked her from my myspace was because she wouldn't stop spamming me with her beleifs.

It's kind of funny how everyone(who lives in the same town as me) thinks that atheist are evil reincarnated, but they have no idea what an atheist beleives in.

Anyways sorry about my long post and why are the forums here always seem to be uninhabited?

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
Welcome. Uninhabited? Oh

Welcome.

Uninhabited? Oh well.

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Anyways sorry about my

[quote]Anyways sorry about my long post and why are the forums here always seem to be uninhabited?[/quote]

Psh. I can fix that... [i]With magic[/i]! Anyway, welcome to FTT. My parents really dont talk about my atheism. Expesually around others. My girlfriend is one of the [i]"I believe something is out there"[/i] kind of person. I think she's probulary agnostic. I think she doesnt want to tell me because I express my belief (or lack of) more open by being a part of a website. I kinda keep strangers, mormons, and non-close friends from knowing Im athiest. It leads to me debating, and I normally beat stupidity.

Li Yuki
Li Yuki's picture
User is offlineOffline
KCahill wrote:Quote:Anyways

[quote=KCahill][quote]Anyways sorry about my long post and why are the forums here always seem to be uninhabited?[/quote]

Psh. I can fix that... [i]With magic[/i]! Anyway, welcome to FTT. My parents really dont talk about my atheism. Expesually around others. My girlfriend is one of the [i]"I believe something is out there"[/i] kind of person. I think she's probulary agnostic. I think she doesnt want to tell me because I express my belief (or lack of) more open by being a part of a website. I kinda keep strangers, mormons, and non-close friends from knowing Im athiest. It leads to me debating, and I normally beat stupidity.[/quote]

Ha Ha, yeah I really need to stop telling strangers when I am asked that I am an atheist.

this is usually what happens......

Person A: So what ARE YOU exactly?

Li Yuki: I'm an atheist............does it really matter?

Person A: OMGZORS you fing devil. Person B,C,D,E,F did you just hear what this kid said!!!!!!!!!!!! He said he is an atheist!!!! THATS RIGHT HE DOESNT BOW DOWN BEFORE THE ALMIGHTY CREATOR!!!!

Person B,C,D,E,F : ......................NO............FUCKING.....................WAY

Then usually after that they encircle you so you can't leave,then they start to ask you questions but they don't give you time to respond. So it's like every 2 words i say to one of them, 3 more of them ask me another question........Its kinda like they are trying to mind gang bang you.............

Then after 2 hours and the very painful experience is over, one of them has the bright idea to start stalking you until you go to their church with him/her.

Actually come to think of it.....its exactly like mind rape(or mind gang banging).

Anyways my advice to you is that telling complete strangers(who you meet in real life) that you are an atheist isn't such a bright idea, especially if you live in a town that plays gospel music during tests(Yes even in public schools)

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, Li Yuki! Ouch. Good

Welcome, Li Yuki!

Ouch. Good thing I don't get that much. But I did have a teacher go all, "OH MY GOD YOU'RE AN ATHEIST???!!?" when I admitted my atheism once. It was kind of funny though. :evil:

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
noor wrote:But I did have a

[quote=noor]But I did have a teacher go all, "OH MY GOD YOU'RE AN ATHEIST???!!?" when I admitted my atheism once. It was kind of funny though. :evil:[/quote]

LOL!

I remember that. :)

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Yep. I'm sure she'll totally

Yep. I'm sure she'll totally fall off the chair if I tell her my political views also. ;)

And a lot of people think I'm just being rebellious or whatever. Argh, I hate that.

MathMollySwims
User is offlineOffline
Tips on telling your parents?

About 2 years ago, I started atleast telling my friends that I was atheist, but I still havent got up the guts to tell my parents.

They never really raised me religiously, but I feal a pressure to believe in God. They never took me to church, but I feal that for some reason, God always seems to come up at least once a week, when Im talking to my mom, and I know she would reject me if/when I tell her that Im atheist.

Anyone have some tips on coming out to parents!?

Zach Moritz
User is offlineOffline
All of my friends know that

All of my friends know that I'm an atheist, a lot of people who I thought were my friends turned their backs on me when I told them my views, and after I explained my reasoning, they didn't bother delivering a rebutle but instead chose to no longer speak to me. My parents aren't the church going type, but being from conservative families that are, they forced myself and my 3 siblings to go to religious education, I was the 3rd of the 4 to be confirmed, my brother and I have turned to atheism, while our oldest sister is an agnostic. My sister who will be confirmed in a few months is very skeptical about the idea as I wish I had been before prior to my confirmation, she is secretly researching Budhism as a lifestyle rather than a religion. My parent's have an idea that I am an atheist and really don't seem to approve but don't mind at the same time. My grandparents on the other hand are the ones I am worried about, they are the ones that have already pledged to pay for the majority of my college tuition, if they found out, they'd probably disown me for life.

devoutatheist
User is offlineOffline
i am an atheist in a family

i am an atheist in a family of christians, i am recently grounded till i convert to christianity

Coprolal1an
Coprolal1an's picture
User is offlineOffline
That sucks :/ Anyway, I

I haven't told my parents.  As a result, I still go to church.  It's actually quite funny--last sunday when everyone was praying after the substitute-pastor (with a southern accent) said how we were going to go to hell,  I lipped HAIL SATAN at her, and she looked like shit shit herself xD.  I think I made some people in front of me slip when I poured the communion juice on the floor.

shasocastris
User is offlineOffline
KCahill wrote:I kinda keep

[quote=KCahill]I kinda keep strangers, mormons, and non-close friends from knowing Im athiest. It leads to me debating, and I normally beat stupidity.[/quote]

I have to do this. I go to a public school, and though it isn't technically religious, I can't say I'm an atheist without people either screaming "You don't believe in God?!" or having everyone else in the room look down on me. I can't stand it, and I learned in 9th grade to just not tell anyone unless I really know them, and like them. I love debating people, but it gets tiring after a while.

On the topic of parents, I got lucky in that they are both atheists as well. My problem with them are still "I'm an adult so I'm right", but even that they've gotten over. On the other hand, every other adult I know has a streak of ignorance when it comes to dealing with teenagers, and I get far too much amusement with toying with their minds for my own good. ;)

Cheers!

Kovash Tau'va!

per ardua ad astra

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."

-Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Angel K
Angel K's picture
User is offlineOffline
hmm
Well I really didn't begin to openly question God's existance until after my parents died (one Catholic, the other Baptist) but once I got into a fight with my mother and told her that there is no god and she blew up, made me pray with her for hours in order to redeem my soul. So they reacted...not so good.

kaj
kaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Having been an atheist for

Having been an atheist for five years I guess it is now, I can say that for a whole year I didn't tell anyone except a close friend.  Strangely enough, that friend happened to be skeptical as well and we're both atheists.  Then a year later, I came out to my mom and more friends.  I told my mom not to tell any of our family members.  However, my grandparents found out and became "concerned."  After four years of being completely open about my atheism, I have to say that finally I'm starting to be accepted and treated as any decent person should.  Granted, there is the occassional freakout of some stranger that asks what my religious views are.

The strangest religious story I know of is that in my Advanced World History class, sophomore year, the teacher asked us to raise our hands if we weren't Christians.  Three hands shot up.  The teacher asked a girl next to me what she believed and she said, "I'm agnostic."  So the teacher explained to the class what that meant.  Then of course, came me.  I responded to the same question, "I don't have a religion.  I don't follow a religion."  Then he said, "Well, okay, but are you atheist or agnostic?"  So I responded, "I'm atheist."  After this he went on to explain what that meant.  The next kid responded that he was agnostic and then the teacher explained that we were a predominantly Christian nation so we would have to focus more on the things that have influenced the Western, Christian World than those which have influenced other areas.  We did learn about things that weren't related to the Western, Christian world too of course though. 

The weirdest thing about this is that it was almost like the teacher was sorting us out.  What made it especially weird was only having two other people that you could see around the classroom that were in your same shoes.  I felt extremely uncomfortable and almost like I was being dissected.