What do your parents thing?

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
What do your parents thing?

My parents made a huge deal out of me not believing in god. They even go as far to say stupid stuff like "can you pass the salt, or dont you believe in that either". Its really sad how adults thing they know everything. I love getting into debates with adults because i get a chance to prove them wrong. My parents are terrible with religon though. My mom is protestant and my dad is catholic, i was raised catholic. I actually almost god kick out of sunday school for repeatedly questioning the nuns lol. Anyway i was wondering if any of you had the same problems with your parents reacting to you not believing in there god?

Bryan

Toxicat
Toxicat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, my mom can be like

Yeah, my mom can be like that too. Sometimes when we're talking about it, she'll go quiet after I make a point as if she's considering that maybe (just maybe) I could be right. Then if I bring it up later, she denies it. She'll say, "I was always taught not to talk to non-believers, because they have nothing good to say, and if you are truely faithful, you'll know that what they are saying is wrong."

Ugh, she's so stubborn and close-minded.
I don't think my dad knows about my beliefs.

blood pig
blood pig's picture
User is offlineOffline
DUDE?? Catholic married a

DUDE?? Catholic married a Protestent?? I wasn't allowed into a catholic church because I was protestent because shit in the past between the two religions.

and i had TONS of problems with my fucking parents dude. They forced me to go to church till i was 12 when i was athiest starting at 10. They still give me some shit for it and tell me i'm going to hell..But I don't care because I know they're wrong.
"To build my own religion. No Gods. No Laws"-Otep

www.myspace.com/xxfailurexbyxdesignxx

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yea my mom was born and

Yea my mom was born and raised in England and she was raised protestant but one of her step-dads was catholic so from the age of like 15 she was raised catholic on. My dad use to sit and watch the mass on TV when he couldnt go to church on sundays, but he hasnt gone to church let alone thought about it in over 10 years. Neither of my parents are very religious to begin with so when i prove i know more about it than they do they through the whole "im paying the bills im right" bullshit.

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
Albert Einstein

Bryan

blood pig
blood pig's picture
User is offlineOffline
subject subject subject

[quote=Bryan T]Yea my mom was born and raised in England and she was raised protestant but one of her step-dads was catholic so from the age of like 15 she was raised catholic on. My dad use to sit and watch the mass on TV when he couldnt go to church on sundays, but he hasnt gone to church let alone thought about it in over 10 years. Neither of my parents are very religious to begin with so when i prove i know more about it than they do they through the whole "im paying the bills im right" bullshit.

Albert Einstein

Bryan[/quote]
What the hell? That's a bullshit thing to say on their part. My dad and I get into the debate of God all the time and nothing like that's ever said. Hell, i'd probably go ape-shit on him if he told me I was wrong. We just sit there and LISTEN to what eachother has got to say then disprove the other.
He always gives up though.
"You're far to mature for your age.." That's how it always ends.

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yea my parents arent like

Yea my parents arent like that at all....i wish. My mom is cool in the sense that she is very open with other things like sex and drugs but when it comes to religion shes so diffrent its annoying as hell. I make her look dumb all the time and she just keeps going into the whole im right your wrong because im older thing. But i still prove her wrong.

Albert Einstein

Bryan

blood pig
blood pig's picture
User is offlineOffline
moms

[quote=Bryan T]Yea my parents arent like that at all....i wish. My mom is cool in the sense that she is very open with other things like sex and drugs but when it comes to religion shes so diffrent its annoying as hell. I make her look dumb all the time and she just keeps going into the whole im right your wrong because im older thing. But i still prove her wrong.

Albert Einstein

Bryan[/quote]
That's how my mother is in ANY debates. She's retarted and just goes "no. Who the hell do you think you are. No. You're wrong" so i NEVER get into debates with her.

My dad's cool about drug conversations because he was into that shit when he was a kid so he's really opened about it..But that's hard to talk about without giving some shit about my life away.

Ph8
Ph8's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, my Dad had been an

Well, my Dad had been an Atheist all of his life, and my mom was not that strong in her faith but was raised methodist. She made me go to church till about seventh grade though, at which point i finally worked up the courage to tell her that I didn't believe in God. She wasn't too shocked, and we talked about Philosophy and such and basically yeah, she's agnostic now.

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was forced to go to church

I was forced to go to church until i made my confirmation, 8th grade. And after i was confirmed into the catholic church my first lent i gave up the catholic religion and havent looked back since =)

Albert Einstein

Bryan

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was forced to go to church

I was forced to go to church until i made my confirmation, 8th grade. And after i was confirmed into the catholic church my first lent i gave up the catholic religion and havent looked back since =)

Albert Einstein

Bryan

Nick
User is offlineOffline
"Can you pass the salt, or

"Can you pass the salt, or don't you believe in that either?"
"Oh, no, I can pass it. I believe in things that are REAL."

So true... most the time adults are just fucking stupid beyond stupid. The fact that they think they're better than us just makes it worse, and further proves their stupidity.

Adults need to grow up.

www.myspace.com/nickpoling

blood pig
blood pig's picture
User is offlineOffline
My mom tried making me stick

My mom tried making me stick it out to 8th grade so i'd finish confirmation. I only had one year left to go..but I couldn't stand that shit so I just left.
Guy was a creep anyways >.<

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hate adults for the fact

I hate adults for the fact that they think they are smarter than every person younger than them. I love making adults feel threatened by my presence. I have had some teachers even who refuse to call on me during some classes because they know i will argue my point in full length until my point has gotten across.

Albert Einstein

Bryan

blood pig
blood pig's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm 15. My dad's 40

I'm 15. My dad's 40 something.
He's intimidated by me in debates about Religion and God.

I'm damn proud of that too :)

gogoguru
gogoguru's picture
User is offlineOffline
My dad doesn't care, he

My dad doesn't care, he believes in god but hates most organised religions. My mom is the one that's got a problem. Whenever I get into a religious debate with my her (which is quite rare since I 1: moved out a little over a year ago and 2: always won) my dad would either stay out of it or take my side. Most debates I've had started with me making some random comment that mocked religion, my mom objecting, me making my point, then a long pause before she finally says something like "Well, I'm just worried that you won't end up with me in heaven."

The debate always ends there. I more or less take the "you won't end up with me in heaven" comment as an admission of defeat and leave it at that. In a way I'd kinda like to debate more with my sister, but I refuse to because she always starts screaming "persecution!" and that just leads to me going from debate to flat-out verbal assault. Christians make up over 70% of the population, they've got a fucking born-again in the oval office, so who the fuck are they to whine about persecution in this country when going against an atheist?

blood pig
blood pig's picture
User is offlineOffline
See, I hate getting into

See, I hate getting into debates when the people are just flat out immature about it. Like the "Persecution" thing. That just full out ruins the entire point of discussions

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hah

My parents are... they'll live. My mom's African-American, and her family is from Texas, so they're really religious and stuff. But on the same vein, they're not so conservative in their beliefs as many are.

My dad's from Sweden, and an atheist, and has no problem with it. My mom won't argue with me about religion, because frankly, she wuoldn't win. Most people at my school don't bring up the topic around me :). I've written enough articles and researched enough, that even if poeple don't like my viewpoint, they know better to challenge me on it. That's why I've moved to online communities.

-There is no sin save faith

fattychunks
fattychunks's picture
User is offlineOffline
bryan, dude, to your OP,

bryan, dude, to your OP, that's too bad
=(

[quote]They even go as far to say stupid stuff like "can you pass the salt, or dont you believe in that either".[/quote]

i would say, oh i believe in the salt because it has attributes. might make them think about god a little harder...

and my parents, well, my dad actually tried to challenge me but he hadnt gone to churhc in years anyways... then he started going with his new wife, but then i convinced her to stop going (not on purpose, but because she read some thoughts i had written down once and it led to conversations). but my mom... ohh my mom thought i was going to hell, and still does. she believes 'raise a child in the way they should grow and when they get old they shall not depart from it' so since i was raised christian, i'll some day still become one according to the bibbble. my brother took it the hardest, but after a couple years he's become agnostic.

it was a wierd thing fer my family.... since everyone has always been christian. i was the first to break the cycle.

::::::::::::
nontheist

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
My mother and I get into

My mother and I get into frequent small fights on the matter. My mother may make a remark such as "a little christian would be good for you" , or something like that. They dont really consider that I am right. Which I really dont care anymore, but it really bugged the crap out of me before.

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
I believe salt exists,

I believe salt exists, because I can feel it, taste it, take a picture of it and even analyze it's chemical constitution (to make sure it's sodium chloride)! That's what reason is all about...

What about God? only psychopaths can see him :)

KimTheFaerieFreak
KimTheFaerieFreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
My mum hates it. My dad

My mum hates it. My dad ignores it. When I told my mum it was like screaming yelling and crying. Whenever someone tells me I'll go to hell I just inform them that I look really good in red. And they yell at me for not taking my life seriously.

Salt does exsist. It's killing me. But it exsists. And I LOVE it!

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
ha that is a kickass reply

ha that is a kickass reply to that. kudos to you. anyhoo. i just outsmart my parents or piss them off and leave. it is fun stuff to do over the summer. and amusing how sometimes they think military camp will put god in me. hahaha

KimTheFaerieFreak
User is offlineOffline
military camp will put god

military camp will put god in you?

how do they figure?

blood pig
blood pig's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ha that or they just say

Ha that or they just say that as a scare tactic

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
Please people, try to reason

Please people, try to reason with your parents, don't oppose them that strongly, most of the things they do are because of love (somewhat possesive). They're probably the best allies you're ever going to have... I had my rebellious phases when I was 15-16 (I'm 20 now). I'm not trying to sound like a wise-guy or something, I just recollect the fights I had with my parents on adolescence (not on religious subjects, yet the pattern is quite similar) and understand that their intentions where always the best. I don't know if that is the case with your parents but I think it's a safe bet. That's what rationalism is all about... following the most reasonable way, not the emotionally charged.

Joe
Joe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Never attended a church on a

Never attended a church on a regular basis except once and that was because a friend dragged me into it, I hated it.

My parents, don't like me on these websites, but aren't gonna stop me.

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
I had to attend church until

I had to attend church until I was 17ish (though not all that regularly).

I didn't really care all that much though, for like 5 of the years I was a buddhist(not now tho) and [b]all[/b] of them I was an atheist.
What cracks me up is that I was like the best bible study guy... kinda sad.

Sprinklesss
Sprinklesss's picture
User is offlineOffline
My parents are pretty much

My parents are pretty much okay with it...my mom was a little testy about m beliefs for awhile, but she got over it. My dad likes it because he has someone to make fun of the nuns at the school he teaches at with =)

Thor
User is offlineOffline
I'd just like to add that I

I'd just like to add that I personally do not believe that salt exists.

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
I don't believe in mustard.

I don't believe in mustard.

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
How dare you! Mustard has to

How dare you!

Mustard has to exist, since it is the best perfect condiment anyone can think of. Existence is a part of perfection.
Ergo mustard exists.

keasbynights241
keasbynights241's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mustard is not perfect in

Mustard is not perfect in any way.
And existence is not a perfection! Is Hitler more perfect if he exists or if he doesn't exist?

Haha.

Ketchup is perfect!

Thor
User is offlineOffline
keasbynights241, Stephan was

keasbynights241,
Stephan was doing a mocking the ontological argument.

keasbynights241
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I realize that. I'm

Yeah, I realize that. I'm kidding.

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Its cool, I agree... Ketchup

Its cool, I agree... Ketchup is perfect!

I love to put ketchup on everything... esp. tofu and bread... I've even had ketchup soup (which is not a joke, it tasted good).

Mmmm ketchup.

blood pig
blood pig's picture
User is offlineOffline
I get yelled at for putting

I get yelled at for putting ketchup on chicken hahaha

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey there is nuthing wrong

Hey there is nuthing wrong with that though I suggest putting chicken on ketchup instead!

blood pig
blood pig's picture
User is offlineOffline
ha! I'll give it a go!

ha!
I'll give it a go!

keasbynights241
User is offlineOffline
Ketchup soup must be the

Ketchup soup must be the grossest thing on the face of the earth.

KimTheFaerieFreak
User is offlineOffline
ketchup soup? wow....that

ketchup soup? wow....that sounds like SUPER gross

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
RE:

[quote=Stephen]How dare you!

Mustard has to exist, since it is the best perfect condiment anyone can think of. Existence is a part of perfection.
Ergo mustard exists.
[/quote]

Stephen's ontological argument for the existence of mustard. Well said... :)

keasbynights241
User is offlineOffline
Is ergo like therefore?

Is ergo like therefore?

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yep

Yep

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
lol tomatoe soup? but i do

lol tomatoe soup? but i do believe that ketchup soup is just a cold tomatoe paste.

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like tomatoe soup... its

I like tomatoe soup... its good with cheese.

Ketchup soup is like tomatoe soup, except you get it from lil packets for free.

gogoguru
gogoguru's picture
User is offlineOffline
For the record, ketchup is

For the record, ketchup is disgusting.

Getting kinda back on topic, in a way being told I was going to hell pisses me off, but I also kinda like it because it gives me a chance to piss the other person off with stupid responses. Most of the time I just say "Well at least I can work on my tan."

Going off topic again, I actually have it in writing that I'm to be buried wearing shorts, sandals, and sunglasses with a bottle of sunblock laying beside me. I also have a list of songs to be played at my funeral lying around somewhere. It's got "Runnin' With the Devil" "Highway to Hell" "Shout at the Devil" and "Into the Fire" on there.

Maverick
Maverick's picture
User is offlineOffline

I was raised Mormon by my mother and grandfather until I was eleven which I was one year after I became an atheist. At eleven I moved to a different city to where I live now with my mother and stepfather. I didn't tell anyone about my being an atheist until i was fourteen, roughly two years ago. With my mother being highly religious following the doctrines of the Mormon faith she acted as if I was evil to the point of denying my being her son and calling me "of the devil" that comment eventually escalating in severity to "You are the devil!" She still has missionaries and visiting-teachers come to preach weekly.

It is depressing that religion has such a hold over people that it can bring them to disowning family members.

toaaj42
User is offlineOffline
Umm my mom get's annoyed

My mom gets annoyed sometimes, not really certain otherwise.
She thinks one day I will believe.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
As for my parents they seem

As for my parents they seem to be more of nonbelievers themselves, but they still see religion as a part of their culture. They don't see it as a belief, so they didn't really have any issues with my atheist and anarchist views. The real problem was when I started to be completely avowed and open with my beliefs/lack of thereof.

Justin
User is offlineOffline
that's pretty messed up, my

that's pretty messed up, my dad did that sort of thing to me (though they were attacks on my character, not my beliefs)

it cant really be helped that they have lived 30+ years with those beleifs. It's pretty much carved into thier brain.
so congratulate yourself, pat yourself on the back for questioning the world around you.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
My parents found out that I

My parents found out that I became an atheist when they found a ripped up Bible on the floor (my room.)

They didn't say anything about it, though.