Monkeys????

Dave_G
Dave_G's picture
User is offlineOffline
Monkeys????

Do we ever get any theist monkeys on this site? Because I thought the place would be crowded with all those mind drolling worthless un-evolved **********..

Ok sanity back so do theist ever come to this site trying to force their worthless beliefs on us?

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Guruite wrote:Quote:The

[quote=Guruite][quote]The Catholic Church accepted evolution as a fact like around the 50's or 60's.[/quote]

??? Care to cite a source?

This would be a cool trivial (for me... not others) fact to know... but I don't believe it...

(But I want to... so convince me!)[/quote]

Dude, are you telling me that you didn't know this?!

People!

Pope John Paul II said:

[quote]"In his encyclical Humani Generis (1950), my predecessor Pius XII has already affirmed that there is no conflict between evolution and the doctrine of the faith regarding man and his vocation, provided that we do not lose sight of certain fixed points....Today, more than a half-century after the appearance of that encyclical, some new findings lead us toward the recognition of evolution as more than an hypothesis. In fact it is remarkable that this theory has had progressively greater influence on the spirit of researchers, following a series of discoveries in different scholarly disciplines. The convergence in the results of these independent studies -- which was neither planned nor sought -- constitutes in itself a significant argument in favor of the theory." [/quote]

[url=http://www.ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/JP961022.HTM]Source.[/url]

Also, wiki has an article about it, right [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_and_the_Roman_Catholic_Church]here.[/url]

lilangelofterror
User is offlineOffline
Opps, my bad... last I

Opps, my bad... I thought it was more recent then that. However; last I checked they accepted parts of it as fact.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, the Catholic Church

Well, the Catholic Church will not accept evolution in a few months.

ID is going to be the new thing.

lilangelofterror
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist wrote:Well,

[quote=American Atheist]Well, the Catholic Church will not accept evolution in a few months.[/quote]

They never accepted all of it in the first place... and most IDers I know do accept parts of evolution. Just not the entire thing.

[quote]ID is going to be the new thing. [/quote]

I'm not too sure what the church's position is on ID. I'll have to ask our local catholics on T-web about it.

Dave_G
Dave_G's picture
User is offlineOffline
lilangelofterror

[quote=lilangelofterror][quote=Dave_G]I have only seen one "true" christian on here. And by the way most scientists believe in evolution so you have to believe it to.[/quote]

1. So you have magical mind reading powers you can see people's deepest thoughts and know for a fact they are not 'True Christians' TM.

2. I don't have a problem with evolution.

Now do you have some other cards you care to play?

Crystal[/quote]

I don't need an arguement evolution and the big bang both disprove the bible.

Dave_G
Dave_G's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh and what makes you

Oh and what makes you qualified to judge who is(or isn't) a 'true Christian?'

1. Did the stars come before or after the Earth?
Evolution= before
Bible+after

2. Where we always humans?
Evolution= no we were apes
Bible= no (gen 5:1)

BTW: The only reason I threw in that whole most scientists thing is because one of our users said "most historians believe in Jesus..." So I answered back with "most scientists believe in evolution (straw man ^_^)

Btw what happened to the Sora avatar? Why'd you go back to the picture of yourself(I'm assuming its a pic of you)?

__________________________________________________=
Somehow my pic got deleted off the site so I replaced it with a Sora pic because I was at a friends house and he don't got a pic of me on his computer (or at least I hope not lol)

On the side note:

I'd like to apologize for being so rude and judgemental in the past few days.

And yeah I guess now that I'm an atheist john 7:24 doesn't really count anymore.(not to me anyway)

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Dude, are you telling

[quote]Dude, are you telling me that you didn't know this?![/quote]

Yup! This sounds tremendously stupid... (not that I had not heard of it... that is a lack of knowledge) I assumed that the church did not accept it or did not have a position (the Mormon church claims not to have an official position)

Because Stephen Colbert does not believe in it... and he *is* a strict Catholic....

lilangelofterror
User is offlineOffline
Dave_G wrote: I don't need

[quote=Dave_G]
I don't need an arguement evolution and the big bang both disprove the bible.[/quote]

Hummm that's funny... americanatheist just got done linking to a speech Pope John Paul II made saying that evolution does not contradict the church. And Christians like William Lane Craig use the Big Bang as proof of God's existence. Do you ever pay attention?

Sir-Think-A-Lot
Sir-Think-A-Lot's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dave_G wrote:But evolution

[quote=Dave_G]But evolution gos against the Bible:[/quote]

Nah, ignorant people just think it does.

[quote]BTW: The only reason I threw in that whole most scientists thing is because one of our users said "most historians believe in Jesus..." So I answered back with "most scientists believe in evolution (straw man ^_^)[/quote]

Argument from authority, not a straw man.

A straw man would be assuming that because someone is a Christian they must reject evolution.

Dave_G
Dave_G's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir-Think-A-Lot wrote:Dave_G

[quote=Sir-Think-A-Lot][quote=Dave_G]But evolution gos against the Bible:[/quote]

The verse that says every species begot it's own kind?? God made man in his image? So God to was an ape?

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dave, Good on using

Dave, Good on using quotes... only dont put your words into them...

And as for evolution... I would say that most people do believe in some form or another...

THey might not believe that the first cell was spontaniously created (through processes) or that man evolved out of an ape...

And no, Dave... it never says that god was an ape... God could have created man as man... without going through the channels of evolution

(Speculation on a silly thought.. maybe this is why the Neanderthal died out... (not that I support it.)never mind)

Dave_G
Dave_G's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hummm that's funny...

Hummm that's funny... americanatheist just got done linking to a speech Pope John Paul II made saying that evolution does not contradict the church. And Christians like William Lane Craig use the Big Bang as proof of God's existence. Do you ever pay attention?
[/quote]

Study the Big Bang it is way different than the Bible and no I don't watch religious shows because most religious people are against sceince. And read the Bible and you will see that it does contridict science.

lilangelofterror
User is offlineOffline
Dave_G wrote:Study the Big

[quote=Dave_G]Study the Big Bang it is way different than the Bible and no I don't watch religious shows because most religious people are against sceince.[/quote]

You do love to say stupid things huh? Funny I think science is a wonderful tool and the people who say the Big Bang supports the Bible are both scientist and theologian. William Lane Craig believes in the Big Bang, so does pretty much any theologian... I've even heard fundy Christians saying they do. Now stop saying stupid things that prove you don't know what you are talking about and start reading these strange things called 'books'.

[quote]And read the Bible and you will see that it does contridict science.[/quote]

Funny... there's a debate going on right now that two Christians say they can prove God exist using just science. There's books out there (Such as [i]Darwin's Black Box[/i] who is written by Biochemist Michael Behe, but what does he know? He's only a scientist with a degree in Biochemistry) that say that Creation can be proven by science. Again, stop reading whatever the RRS tells you (IE that real scientist are not creationist or no Christian doesn't believe in evolution) and read some books written for adults. Try this again Davey.

Crystal

fredric sedric
fredric sedric's picture
User is offlineOffline
just some food for thought.

just some food for thought. :P

what was their befor the big bang???

try and wrap ya mind around it

lilangelofterror
User is offlineOffline
fredric sedric wrote:just

[quote=fredric sedric]just some food for thought. :P

what was their befor the big bang???

try and wrap ya mind around it[/quote]

According to Steven Hawkins time is both eternal and not eternal. However; it's not even a theory... he uses negative numbers and says that 'it's mathematically possible'. Well that's nice, it's mathematically possible to have a negative amount of people required to do a job, does this work in reality?

Crystal

fredric sedric
fredric sedric's picture
User is offlineOffline
unfortunatly maths doesnt

unfortunatly maths doesnt solve all of lifes questions,
its just an interesting thing to ponder on :P

lilangelofterror
User is offlineOffline
The point of this rant

The point of this rant was....

fredric sedric
fredric sedric's picture
User is offlineOffline
mine or the massive debate

mine or the massive debate that was spawned over some lad calling theists monkeys??

Dave_G
Dave_G's picture
User is offlineOffline
lilangelofterror wrote:The

[quote=lilangelofterror]The point of this rant was....[/quote]

Calm down...... Just put down the Bible and open your mind.

And the debate is by Comfort and Cameron and they failed miserably. I'll write a forum about errors in the Bible.

lilangelofterror
User is offlineOffline
Dave_G wrote: Calm

[quote=Dave_G]
Calm down...... Just put down the Bible and open your mind.[/quote]

*rofl* You think I'm upset little boy? Please... all you do is assert your position as correct and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

[quote]And the debate is by Comfort and Cameron and they failed miserably. I'll write a forum about errors in the Bible.[/quote]

*rofl* Oh yeah... an actor is a rep for Christian scholarship. How about you go read read debates where the atheist has to debate Christians like William Lane Craig? Even the Christians on theologyweb agree that they failed! Get your head out of the sand little boy, not all of us think Comfort and Cameron did a great job nor are they a rep for Christians everywhere.

Crystal

Dave_G
Dave_G's picture
User is offlineOffline
lilangelofterror

[quote=lilangelofterror][quote=Dave_G]
Calm down...... Just put down the Bible and open your mind.[/quote]

*rofl* You think I'm upset little boy? Please... all you do is assert your position as correct and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

[quote]And the debate is by Comfort and Cameron and they failed miserably. I'll write a forum about errors in the Bible.[/quote]

*rofl* Oh yeah... an actor is a rep for Christian scholarship. How about you go read read debates where the atheist has to debate Christians like William Lane Craig? Even the Christians on theologyweb agree that they failed! Get your head out of the sand little boy, not all of us think Comfort and Cameron did a great job nor are they a rep for Christians everywhere.

Crystal[/quote]

To bad because I won't be posting much on here. If you want to debate stop advertising some site. I'm going to keep posting on RRS since the Christians on there have arguements that a child can not argue against. You arguements are so dumb my 6 year old cousin could debate you. Really I don't have time to debate some dolt from some dolt that got banned from his own site.

lilangelofterror
User is offlineOffline
Dave_G wrote:To bad because

[quote=Dave_G]To bad because I won't be posting much on here. If you want to debate stop advertising some site.[/quote]

Translation: "I'm running away now." T-web has atheist that actually make me have to think. So far nothing you've brought up has made me have to do anything beyond 5 entire minutes of research. Got something I haven't heard a thousand times before and rejected?

[quote]I'm going to keep posting on RRS since the Christians on there have arguements that a child can not argue against.[/quote]

In other words, you don't want a challenge. I do love how the RRS bans anybody who can prove them wrong from

[quote]You arguements are so dumb my 6 year old cousin could debate you.[/quote]

I also bet your 6 year old cousin and yourself are in the same grade. *rofl* How's that for an insult? Is this your way of backing out because you can't answer anything I give you? What's the problem Davey, don't like being wrong? Like I said... you're a joke...

[quote]Really I don't have time to debate some dolt from some dolt that got banned from his own site.[/quote]

In other words, you have no answers to my arguments and rebuttals to your arguments so you run away to salvage what little face you have left. When you grow up and learn that the RRS is laughed at by intelligent Christians and atheist alike... I'll be on T-web... waiting for you...

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think it matters

I don't think it matters whether a man named Jesus existed or not. From what I know, the most plausible idea is that he was a man whose story was embellished with common myths of the time. Regardless, it doesn't really matter, and there is no way to verify that he for SURE didn't exist(and it would be hard to do the opposite). However, I am not hung up specifically on Christianity, the larger question is whether a god is possible, plausible, probable, and necessary.

As to the evolution person, sorry, but no, evolution is for the most part, accepted. As to which evolutionary mechanism, whether it be gradualism, punctuated equilibrium, co-evolution, symbiotic evolution...that is the debate.

As for evolution, I'm thinking of inventing a new major for college. My theory is that the same 'force' the invisible hand running the economy is present in evolutionary 'force'. Basically it is the force of efficiency, and I would like to study the similarities. Hopefully nobody debunks evolution. i doubt that could happen, as it would undermine a great part of our current science.

fredric sedric
fredric sedric's picture
User is offlineOffline
sounds interesting, more

sounds interesting, more then likely worth looking into

[quote]Hopefully nobody debunks evolution. i doubt that could happen, as it would undermine a great part of our current science.[/quote]

come now man, wouldnt it be exiting if one theory was proved wrong which undermined alot of other theorys in science....
imagin the new recerch that would have to take place, the new discoverys that would occure, the science textbooks being re-written.....

Sir-Think-A-Lot
Sir-Think-A-Lot's picture
User is offlineOffline
Its possible, though not

Its possible, though not likely.

fredric sedric
fredric sedric's picture
User is offlineOffline
not likely but ooo, can u

not likely but ooo, can u imagin the possibility

and like i say "what is the point of a life unquestioned?"
you cant rule out anything untill it has been questioned and researched and tested