My friend and I were talking [split from "Prove God is not real"]

Noor
User is offlineOffline
My friend and I were talking [split from "Prove God is not real"]

Comment split from another thread.

Zach Moritz
User is offlineOffline
My friend and I were talking

My friend and I were talking today, and we came to an insightful conclusion, a theory of what god means and how "god" can actually be seen as a compalation of 2 factors that aren't even living; time and the universe. The universe brings matter and energy and time allows things to progress, without the two every thing would cease to exist.

This means that the philosphical idea of god has no conciousness and doesn't actually exist but is mearly an idea that defines factors needed for any and everything to exist in the first place. It has no actual control over life and doesn't watch over anything but is actually everywhere. If anyone was here for the hours of discussion that the two of us had, it would impact you as much as i did myself.

this does not mean that I believe in god, I most certainly do not, as I said before, this is a way of defining the factors needed for any and everything to exist. We actually debated several things from conciousness of this idea and whether or not too call it god as I am and atheist and he is an agnostic, I still don't believe that it should be referred to as god, but there is no better word that can be used to describe the philosophical idea. It'd be great to hear everyone else's views on this.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
My personal definition of a

My personal definition of a god is: a perfect being who created the universe and may or may not control events and our lives.

The term that describes the "god" you describe is pantheism. Pantheism is the belief that "god" is the universe and the universe in itself is a god. Basically kind of a spiritual atheism - most pantheists treat the universe and nature as a god while rejecting mainstream theism.

Zach Moritz
User is offlineOffline
ah thank you for clearing

ah thank you for clearing that up, whether or not this would be athiest or theistic was part of the debate between my friend and I. I said that it was leaning towards atheim more than theism but it still was neither while he said that it absolutely was theism. I personally still wouldn't call it a god but as I said before, there really isn't a better word for it to my knowledge. But then again the idea of Pantheism wasn't in my knowledge either so there is more than likely a better term than god

Noor
User is offlineOffline
No probs.

No probs.

It really depends on how you define a god - I personally would call it atheistic, too.

And just because you treat something like it was a god does not mean it can be labeled as a god. For one my friend might respect Angelina Jolie as if she was a god (:P), but that doesn't make her one. So just because a person respects the universe as if it were a god doesn't mean that the universe qualifies as a god itself. I think that's the major flaw underlying pantheist belief. Pantheists seem to think that if nature deserves the same respect and treatment as a god, nature is a god.