Freethinkingteens.com a misleading title for site with an Atheist agenda

Iconoclastithon
User is offlineOffline
Freethinkingteens.com a misleading title for site with an Atheist agenda

Greetings again, fellow freethinkers.

I wanted to make a reasonable observation about your website.

This website is called "FREETHINKINGteens.com", NOT "ATHEISTteens.com".
It is rather deceptive,dishonest, and misleading to call it "freethinkingteens.com" when the obvious agenda of the site is to advocate and push only one of but MANY freethought positions, that of Atheism.

I've looked through this site and found from everyone bit the Evangelical Christian posters, and from the founders own links and other info for the site... nothing but Atheism. Even a prominently displayed article from a member attempting to discredit pure Agnosticisms validity and usurp it under and for the Athiest movment in order to advance the superiority of Atheism.

This site, if TRULY what it claims to be, a site FOR and BY "FREETHINKING" teens, should therefore include links to not only Atheist things or a prominent displaying of the arguments for Atheism above all other freethought ideologies and views, and should advocate for freethought ideologies of ALL types{Atheism, Agnosticism, Deisms,Humanism, and perhaps even liberal theism such as Pantheism; amongst others..such as freethought religions base din those afforementioned foundational philosophical methods.}, else perhaps you should change the name so it is not so deceptive,dishonest, and misleading; to Atheistteens.com.
To monopolize the term "freethought' as a means to push Atheism, is NOT promotion of FREETHOUGHT...it is rather promotion of Atheism.

What say you, fellow freethinkers.

In Reason:
Iconoclasithon

"my reason and freethought power is mighty!!!"

randamonium
randamonium's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ive noticed it as well. And

Ive noticed it as well. And although i may not always be up to date or well informed, I do still have a semi-intelligent opinion on many things that have absolutely nothing to do with any form of religion.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
And this coming from a guy

And this coming from a guy who is not a teen.

Iconoclastithon
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist wrote:And

[quote=American Atheist]And this coming from a guy who is not a teen.[/quote]

Ok, that would be valid. Except, how do you define 'teen".
I would define 'teen" as someone in their well...teens{from 13 to 19}.
However, legally- an 18-19 year old is an adult- they can drink,smoke,drive,work,get married, be in the sex industry,live on their own,have kids so one and so forth..
Biologically or naturally you are an adult once puberty is done; you can reproduce and nature intended for such obviously.
We are "socialized" by our society into thinking of teens as children,etc.
My own personal code is that teens are NOT "Children"- though they may be their own parents children{but then so is the 40 0r 50 or 80 year old}.
I do think of anyone in the stage of puberty as a kid od child, once puberty is done- they are biologically adults{younf adults,yes, but adults}.

Now, I have noticed in our society and our world that many so-called teens{often condescnedingly called 'children" in general-even if in their mid-late teens}- even those as young as 14 or 15, display and live the same emotional,intellectual,physical maturity and responsibility{not to mention level of knowledge of things}as so-called 'adults"{even older adults}; and I've seen many "adults"{including older ones} displaying and living the emotional,intellectual,physical maturity and responsibility{not to mention level of knowledge of things} that a early teen or a child shows and lives{and notbecause they are mentally chalenged or something; but by choice and socialization}.

I engage teens in adult conversations{especially intellectually} because I find many of them have great knowledge,understanding,maturity and responsibility, I don't generally think fo them as beeing less than me because they are teens, and I do not consider them[particularly late teens and in some cases mid-teens] as beeing 'children". I do not condescent based on age.
also find that I have leanred things from teenagers, things that I never knew due to my own failings or due to how I was reared or socialized. Teens are too looked down upon in our christianized culture{which is funny because Mary was likely in her mid-teens when she married a late-teen -possibly adult by our cultures legal standards- Joseph}, I am not of their hypocrite kind.

That said. I make these accusationa dna challenges to you as freethinking teens, because I believe that you are just as capable of understanding and seeing these points as any so-called "adult", and I believe therefore that you are responsible enought to take responsibility as PEOPLE and make this site more accurate to it's name, rather than mislead with the title as a means for pushing Athiesm.

Now, what say you fellow freethinkers?

In Reason:
Iconoclastithon

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
You're blaming us for people

You're blaming us for people who disagree with us not posting here? Since when do we have control over them? The fact is, most people who identify as 'freethinkers'(at least on this forum) are atheists and their views are reflected thus. Nothing is preventing anyone from posting their views here.

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline
Their is freethinkers of

Their is freethinkers of sorts on the forums. Thiers atheists, agnostic, teists on here. No one is pushing atheism here, I havent tried to deconvert people on the site, just give my opnions and facts on a debate. Its true most of us are atheists, doesnt mean we dont allow theists. All are welcome.

Iconoclastithon
User is offlineOffline
AgnosticAtheist1

[quote=AgnosticAtheist1]You're blaming us for people who disagree with us not posting here? Since when do we have control over them? The fact is, most people who identify as 'freethinkers'(at least on this forum) are atheists and their views are reflected thus. Nothing is preventing anyone from posting their views here.[/quote]

I'm glad you added to your statement that most people who identify as "freethinkers" are atheists with"at least on this forum".
I used to be a member of a faithless/unreligious religion movement called "Universism"{which united freethinkers of all NON-THEIST stripes}-it's main members and contributers as well as it's founders were Deists and Atheists{the founder was a deist}.
Historically, when the term "freethinker" started to come largely into use here in the western world, it's funny because it was most often a term used and put forth by those in the deist movement.

Anyways, you're right nothing is preventing other non-theists and freethinkers{including liberal theists; often identified as "freethinkers" as well} from POSTING here.
My point is that this site seems to be in direct cahoots with Rational responders-whose main goal it seems IS to push Athiesm; also like I said, links here on the site itself{not just forum} and other info are heavily biased towards Atheism. The fact that one of the main links or essyas here is an essay tearing down agnosticism and trying to cal Agnostics in general essentially closet Atheists in denail, ir further proof of my accusation.

In Reason:
Icono

Iconoclastithon
User is offlineOffline
KCahill wrote:Their is

[quote=KCahill]Their is freethinkers of sorts on the forums. Thiers atheists, agnostic, teists on here. No one is pushing atheism here, I havent tried to deconvert people on the site, just give my opnions and facts on a debate. Its true most of us are atheists, doesnt mean we dont allow theists. All are welcome.[/quote]

Please read my last response above. There IS a subversive Atheist agenda in this sites set-up and links,promotions, and most favoured and promoted essays, etc.

Sin-cerely:

In Reason:
Iconoclastithon

Connor
Connor's picture
User is offlineOffline
The definition of

The definition of "freethinker" from thefreedictionary.com:

free·think·er
n.
One who has rejected authority and dogma, especially in religious thinking, in favor of rational inquiry and speculation.

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Please read my last

[quote]Please read my last response above. There IS a subversive Atheist agenda in this sites set-up and links,promotions, and most favoured and promoted essays, etc.[/quote]

That might be because most freethinkers are atheists.

AgnosticAtheist1
User is offlineOffline
liberal christians as

liberal christians as freethinkers? That one gives me a chuckle. No, I'd definitely say that semi-free doesn't qualify as free. If you take any of your beliefs from a 'holy book' that pretty much prevents your thoughts from being entirely free.

AgnosticAtheist1
User is offlineOffline
I just realized you

I just realized you completely avoided the teen question

Iconoclastithon
User is offlineOffline
KCahill wrote:Quote:Please

[quote=KCahill][quote]Please read my last response above. There IS a subversive Atheist agenda in this sites set-up and links,promotions, and most favoured and promoted essays, etc.[/quote]

That might be because most freethinkers are atheists.[/quote]

Let me quote what Conner posted;

{Quote}The definition of "freethinker" from thefreedictionary.com:

free·think·er
n.
One who has rejected authority and dogma, especially in religious thinking, in favor of rational inquiry and speculation.
{Unquote}

This is the proper definition for "freethinker". Hence, Deists and Agnostics are ALSO "freethinkers"-and there is alot of us{more Agnostics than Deists; and many Deisst are unaware that they are Deists as they've never heard of the term- but many others have and label themselves as such}.
Both reject authority and dogma-in religoous thinking and otherwise; both are based on rational inquiry and speculation, just like Atheism{Deism and Atheism,however,unlile Agnosticism, takes a stronger belief or bias without FULL proof in one direction or the other; but all are "freethought".}

[quote=AgnosticAtheist1]liberal christians as freethinkers? That one gives me a chuckle. No, I'd definitely say that semi-free doesn't qualify as free. If you take any of your beliefs from a 'holy book' that pretty much prevents your thoughts from being entirely free.[/quote]

I think it depends on the "degree" of how liberal they are. Tecnhically, even a semi-liberal Christian is a freethinker in the sense that they do not accept certain doctrines moral or theological SIMPLY base don church tradition or authoriity, we could clal them semi-freethinkers or somewhat heretical and individualistic.
Now, lets take the VERY liberal christians whose beliefs about god or the divine are generally Pantheistic/PanenTheistic or Agnostic{I have a liberal christian friend whom is also into Paganism, and she is actually Agnostic in her beliefs}- these tend to be Christians in the sense that they are find great personal psychological and poetic inspiration in the person[or there are even some that would doubt the literal existence of the man historically but really are inspired by the myth}of Jesus -called Christ; they are like Laveyan/ and modern Satanists in the sense that just as Laveyan/modern Satabists use Satan as a symbolic psychological archetype for poetic inspiration, these liberal Christians utilize Jesus legend or myth{whiechevr it may be} of his teachings and lifestyle like the Laveyans/moderns do with Satan[as viwwe through Promethean lenses}. This is somewhat similar to somepone of a particular political or social frame of though finding great insoiration in a politcal or freethought person; take Marxists for example, viewed as a perceptive socio-political thinker worth emultaing and who's writings or sayings they see as worth building a socio-political philosophy upon. I had a friend whom is a Marxist, he used to consider himself outright 'communist" but saw Communism as to often misreading and corruptiny Marxes ideas; he is Marxist in the sens eof agreeing with Marxes dialectical materialism and the co-operative economics he suppoedly was trying to drive at.

If Liberal Christians of some degrees cannot be considered 'freethinlkers', than Athiests and Agnostics{and others} whom view Thomas Jefferson as a great freethinker{as he was; and most do see him as such}would not be a "freethinker", because Jefferson was a Deistic{and I believe "Unitarian"} Liberla Christian with some Agnostic qualities; he's even famous for disregarding the O.T. and miracles and revelation and so on and choppin up his Bible and creating the infamous "Jefferson Bible"{comprised basiclaly of Jesus philosophy and lifestyle}- Jefferson, widely recognized as a freethinker by todays freethinkers was a pre-cursor to modern liberal Christian thought.

Oddly enough, I;ve noticed that Liberal Christians tend to understand the Bible and the religion much clearer than fundies do; fundies take everything at face value; Liberals recognize the complexities of not JUST chapter/verse contexts, but also historical/etymological and semantical and linguistic and cultural{amongst others} contexts and that many things in the Bible were potetry and parable essentially; this is where the find their inspiration, and just ebcause many of us Non-theists and more material pbssed and hard sciences obsessed don't recgnize the value of social sciences to the same degre eor psycholigicla sciences{which includes things such as Jungs archetype and other poetic psychological things we as humans are naturally drawn to} as muchas they nor do we know and study all these contexts to the same depth as they do{and nor should we neccaserily be expected to; because then we'd have to do the same with every so-called inspirational religious text, and whom has time and energy for this? very few people-unless that is where their own personal interest lies; and this is where the Liberal Christians interests lie; so long as they recognize the importance of secularist,rationalist, and hard science theories and facts and ethics as well- AND ALL OF THEM DO, why not just let the buggers be? Better they reform human thought about such books and traditions into a more modern psycholigcal inspiration context of non-literality thaan demand they simply denounce it's validity to them? Hardcore atheist types tend to be uptoian thinkers in their wish to rid the world of such things; but many of us non-theists are also REALISTS and realize that this just aint gonna happen whetherw e want it to or not, but the boks and rleigions getting liberalized and re-intrpeteted through modern methods and lenses- that can and will happen- so long as we do not condemn them in their subversive efforts to rid the world of dangerous fundamentalism via the clever means of putting out the meme of liberalizing aeons old religious traditions- some fundamentalisst will be recahed this way-lessening in a utilitarian sense- the harm to the world, but hardcore Atheism tyring to make it all about Athiesm as the sole bearer of reason vs. the world at large as the bearers of unreason- this sort of thing will likely just lead to further oppression,persecutions,strife,war and death; it is in a sense-counter productive extremism.}\
I actually can't believe I'm saying this because until recently I was hardcore Anti-theistic{yes, I was an Anti-Theistic Deist, and I was not and am not the only one} whom opposed all form od faith{allthough not all forms of religion nessacerily; though most-yes}and spouted the same ideology as Harris and Dawkins and Anti-theisst ands strong Athiests,etc, though I was Deist in my intelleectual position; but now I have realized that HOLY CRAP! I was not beeing realistic nor was I seeing the various shades of grey, I wa slooking through the same dualistic leses as fundy monotheists and Fundy/Militant Athiests and Anti-theists. Wow, I've just hit a new level on the scale of enlightenment! Interesting.

Anyways, enough playing devils advocate now, and onto the next point.

[quote=AgnosticAtheist1]I just realized you completely avoided the teen question.[/quote]

No, I did'nt, I addressed it about 8 posts up, just below American Atheists one line post pointing it out to me.

In reason:
Icono

liberal agnostic
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, the only reason I use

Yeah, the only reason I use the word free thinker is because its annoying to say atheists and agnostics. I'm an agnostic, but most people don't evenknow what that is. The term freethinker doesn't mean just atheism though.