Suicide

patches
patches's picture
User is offlineOffline
Suicide

I one of my old good friends recently comitted suicide and I'd just like to know what other atheists think about suicide. Do you think it is selfish? Do you care at all?

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
tey wrote:I would like to

[quote=tey]I would like to see how you interpret "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."[/quote]

As a load of hooey

AgnosticAtheist1
User is offlineOffline
Egann wrote:About the flood:

[quote=Egann]About the flood: If the earth was perfectly flat, the waters of the current oceans would cover the earth to a depth between 8 and 9 thousand feet. There is a new model of coal formation that would say that the Kentucky Coal deposits were created by bark rubbed off of a floating log mat rather than the current swamp model.

Suicide: Life is precious, and throwing it away is not to be done lightly.[/quote]

For the flood part. If the earth were perfectly flat... it would not be a sphere... and thus... wtf? You mean if the surface had no valleys or mountains/was perfectly spherical? (first off, on a side note, the shape is an oblong sphere), but more importantly, that would contradict known truths, such as the fact that the continents have been separated at nearly their current distances for a LONG time, or the fact that we know of older mountains, or the fact that many many plants have been around for a long long time, and not the type that primarily grow under water.

AgnosticAtheist1
User is offlineOffline
Egann wrote:OK... I meant

[quote=Egann]OK... I meant perfectly sperical, not perfectly flat.

People do not choose if they are born, why should we assume that it is also our choice when and how to die?[/quote]

Ah, spherical, that makes more sense.

Because before being born(and for some time after, they do not have the capacity to make such a decision). And they do not even know they exist up to a certain point(namely neuron connections). With death, they do.

AutumnB
User is offlineOffline
My personal belief...

My personal belief which my differ from that of other atheists is that suicide is the easy way out. MOST of the time. What i mean by that is to almost every rule there is a loophole. I dont nessisary think suicide is wrong but i think u should do everythink that is possible before you even consider it. And to the dude who said atheist think life is pointless, you r wrong. I am an atheist and i love life, I believe the point of life is to make life better for the genorations yet to come and to make some people happy why your here. Thanx 4 reading! Love All!

AgnosticAtheist1
User is offlineOffline
I don't think that differs

I don't think that differs from most other atheists... except perhaps in spelling