Suicide

patches
patches's picture
User is offlineOffline
Suicide

I one of my old good friends recently comitted suicide and I'd just like to know what other atheists think about suicide. Do you think it is selfish? Do you care at all?

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm... confused about this.

I'm... confused about this. My friend committed suicied a bit over a year ago. The pain he caused to his friends is... vast, but I don't know what sort of pain he was in, so I can't say what I think...I used to fully support the right to suicide but now I'm not so sure

P-Dunn
P-Dunn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I one of my old good

[quote]I one of my old good friends recently comitted suicide and I'd just like to know what other atheists think about suicide. Do you think it is selfish? Do you care at all?[/quote]
patches,

If life has no purpose anyway (under the atheistic worldview, anyway) then does it really matter if someone kills themself?

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
Who said life has no

Who said life has no purpose? I think my purpose is to make life better for other humans. Creating a symbiotic relationship among humans, you know? But if there is no reason for you to live without god, that it your issue. Don't push it on me.

patches
patches's picture
User is offlineOffline
P-Dunn wrote:Quote:I one of

[quote=P-Dunn][quote]I one of my old good friends recently comitted suicide and I'd just like to know what other atheists think about suicide. Do you think it is selfish? Do you care at all?[/quote]
patches,

If life has no purpose anyway (under the atheistic worldview, anyway) then does it really matter if someone kills themself?[/quote]

Just because I am an atheist does not mean I can't morn my friend's death. I miss him. If anything, my atheism makes death harder for me, because my friend goes nowhere, while if I was christian or such my friend would be in an afterlife. And as Josh said, life can have meaning with or without god. My life has meaning because I feel I can make a diference in the world, no matter how small. And I hope it will help to better mankind as a whole.

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline
Quote: patches, If life has

[quote]
patches,

If life has no purpose anyway (under the atheistic worldview, anyway) then does it really matter if someone kills themself?[/quote]

Who ever said atheist think life has no purpose? I lost a friend in a car addicent and I mourned because he was my friend and I missed him. Saying we believe has no purpose is like saying, we dont have any morals, ethics, or feelings. Where poeple like everyone else.

P-Dunn
P-Dunn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Who said life has no

[quote]Who said life has no purpose? I think my purpose is to make life better for other humans. Creating a symbiotic relationship among humans, you know? But if there is no reason for you to live without god, that it your issue. Don't push it on me.[/quote]
First of all, what is the drive in "making life better for other humans?" Shouldn't you be looking out for yourself, since this is the only life you've got and you should make the best of it for yourself?

Second, that's not my issue. I simply cannot see a way for atheism to logically provide any purpose to anyone's life.

[quote]Just because I am an atheist does not mean I can't morn my friend's death. I miss him. If anything, my atheism makes death harder for me, because my friend goes nowhere, while if I was christian or such my friend would be in an afterlife. And as Josh said, life can have meaning with or without god. My life has meaning because I feel I can make a diference in the world, no matter how small. And I hope it will help to better mankind as a whole.[/quote]
Patches, I never said you couldn't mourn your friend. By all means, do it, because the death of a friend is a tragic event that leaves everyone feeling the effects, [i]especially[/i] suicide.

The point, though, is if you actually care about making a difference in the world, "no matter how small," then what you need to understand is this. If God does not exist, and we are all merely the products of a harsh universe and a cosmic accident, and we will all die individually and eventually as a species in a relatively short time, then [i]your life has no purpose[/i], and any difference you think you're making also has no purpose.

[quote]Who ever said atheist think life has no purpose? I lost a friend in a car addicent and I mourned because he was my friend and I missed him. Saying we believe has no purpose is like saying, we dont have any morals, ethics, or feelings. Where poeple like everyone else.[/quote]
No, it's completely unrelated. I affirm that we all have objective morality, and feelings, and mourning has nothing to do with purpose or lack thereof.

In spite of this, though, atheism provides no purpose for your life. See above.

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline
Quote:In spite of this,

[quote]In spite of this, though, atheism provides no purpose for your life. See above.[/quote]

Animals are atheist, do they have a purpose? What is your purpose of life as a Christian?

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
KCahill wrote:Quote:In spite

[quote=KCahill][quote]In spite of this, though, atheism provides no purpose for your life. See above.[/quote]

Animals are atheist, do they have a purpose? What is your purpose of life as a Christian? [/quote]

If animals have no purpose, I wonder why Noah even bothered making the ark big enough for them.

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline
Wait I got it. They were

Wait I got it. They were made for the purpose for sacrifice. Psh, ecosystems are irrational to the Bible.

patches
patches's picture
User is offlineOffline
The purpose of life is to

The purpose of life is to make the best of your existence. And in helping humanity you also help yourself. For when society as a whole advances so do you. However selfish that may sound.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
I support the right of

I support the right of suicide. I think that in most circumstances it is the wrong decision. I however would like to (I do not know for sure... I am still thinking about the way I want to go - So I think it would be sorta nice) commit suicide. I mean after I am old and if I am diagnosed with some sort of terminal sickness. Just have a party with my family and friends... and just take some pills -

I think that going in a bubble bath while listening to classic music after you have said goodby to your friends and slipping into a deep sleep painlessly is the best way to go (other than in your sleep)

However, I think that suicide is very sad and that any effort to reguate it would just end in failure

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would commit suicide while

I would commit suicide while the song "Seasons in the sun" by Nirvana is playing in the background. Imagine me holding a Colt 45 on one hand, and a 45 pistol on the other, yelling at my reflection on the mirror. Jeanne Garofalo and a eviction letter laying down on the carpet floor room of our messy apartment. 8)

R.I.P Kurt Cobain.

P-Dunn
P-Dunn's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think you guys are

I don't think you guys are understanding what I am talking about.

I am [b]NOT[/b] saying that atheists can't live life as if there is a purpose. That is completely untrue, and that point actually furthers my argument. What I am saying is that [i]if atheism is true[/i], there is no ultimate purpose or significance to your life. You can live life as if there is one, as if you are a valuable example of life. Ultimately however there is not, and you aren't valuable, and you are merely decieving yourself.

[quote=KCahill]Animals are atheist, do they have a purpose? What is your purpose of life as a Christian?[/quote]
That was [i]probably[/i] one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. The only way you can classify animals as "atheists" is if you use a flimsy definition of atheism. Animals do not have the mental capacity to understand who or what God is, and therefore cannot be classified as atheists.

This is like accusing all humans of not believing in the Flying Egyptian Rat of Paidjeifnal. You say, "What is that?" Well, how do you know if you believe in it or not if you've never even heard of it, much less understood it? Once you are presented with the possibility of the Flying Rat's existence, you accept it or reject it. Not before.

My purpose in life as a Christian is to worship God, and in other ways bring him glory, and to bring as many people as I can into fellowship with him as well. And before you even say it, no, I have no problem submitting my life to God. I have no problem with the fact that I am created to worship something else, and nothing about my purpose bothers me in the slightest.

Gregory Koukl wrote an article [url=http://www.str.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=5206]here[/url] that you might find interesting. It's called, "Do Animals Have Souls?" He thinks he has proof that they do.

[quote=American Atheist]If animals have no purpose, I wonder why Noah even bothered making the ark big enough for them.[/quote]
Once again, your confusing [i]belief[/i] in a purpose with an [i]actual[/i] purpose. See above.

But animals do have a purpose...Several, in fact. They can be companions with us. They can be food for us. They can protect us...The list goes on.

[quote=KCahill]Wait I got it. They were made for the purpose for sacrifice. Psh, ecosystems are irrational to the Bible.[/quote]
*rolls eyes*

[quote=patches]The purpose of life is to make the best of your existence. And in helping humanity you also help yourself. For when society as a whole advances so do you. However selfish that may sound.[/quote]
Yes, making the best of your finite and utterly pointless existence. It has no purpose anyway, so you might as well do whatever you feel like, right?

Again, why should you spend your time helping humanity? Why is that considered "good" to you in the first place? For example, there are many drug manufacturers in South America who have more money than you can probably imagine, and they're highly successful in their field. They're not helping humanity...They're bringing it closer to it's demise. Yet they're successful and they probably have, or can get, whatever they want because of their money. Why is that a bad idea, patches?

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Yes, making the best

[quote]Yes, making the best of your finite and utterly pointless existence. It has no purpose anyway, so you might as well do whatever you feel like, right?[/quote]

So long as it makes you happy and does not hurt others. Hurting others is wrong, and so is making yourself miserable (unless your into that...)

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, I don't care if it is

Hey, I don't care if it is pointless. I choose to do with it what I will. I have entered the agreement among humans. This agreement manifests itself in law, but is much more basic: Do not hurt another person. This is voluntary, but I have chosen to accept it as I have deduced it is me most practical and most ethical. I am not unwavering in this; I could be persuaded otherwise. But because my life is my own, I choose the purpose. My life is the actualization of self- defined goals as to achieve my long- term happiness.

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline
Quote:That was probably one

[quote]That was probably one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. The only way you can classify animals as "atheists" is if you use a flimsy definition of atheism. Animals do not have the mental capacity to understand who or what God is, and therefore cannot be classified as atheists. [/quote]

1. Never told me what animal's purpose are. God is superman, he can just make humans and he doesnt need animals.

2. God created animal before humans, but didnt give them the mental capacity to worship him? What was God thinking ;)?

3, If you want to talk about ridiculous I can qoute your "atheist have no purpose for life" post.

patches
patches's picture
User is offlineOffline
P-Dunn wrote: Why is that a

[quote=P-Dunn] Why is that a bad idea, patches?[/quote]

because in order to get the drugs and such they nromally do immoral and unethical things, like gang wars and such. They do not help humanity by doing what they do.

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
P-Dunn wrote: This is like

[quote=P-Dunn]
This is like accusing all humans of not believing in the Flying Egyptian Rat of Paidjeifnal. You say, "What is that?" Well, how do you know if you believe in it or not if you've never even heard of it, much less understood it? Once you are presented with the possibility of the Flying Rat's existence, you accept it or reject it. Not before.[/quote]

exactly. I think you're missing the point entirely. We are ALL atheists in respect to INFINITELY many deities. Atheists just take the next step...

Atheism is simply a lack in belief of god

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually, logically morons

Actually, logically morons are not (they believe in all gods) because they believe that god had a father. This chain would go on forever which means that there are an infinite number of gods that have fathered other gods... which means that there is proably a god named thor who presides over a world of nords - they just dont worship him because he is not director of our world

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
P-Dunn wrote:Quote:I one of

[quote=P-Dunn][quote]I one of my old good friends recently comitted suicide and I'd just like to know what other atheists think about suicide. Do you think it is selfish? Do you care at all?[/quote]
patches,

this caught my eye. since when did an atheist have to believe life has no purpose. Each individual determines the purpose of their life. whether or not it is a good one or not. the reason why they live is the purpose. Whether or not something matters is subjective to the individual and their thoughts

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
KCahill wrote:Quote:In spite

[quote=KCahill][quote]In spite of this, though, atheism provides no purpose for your life. See above.[/quote]

Animals are atheist, do they have a purpose? What is your purpose of life as a Christian? [/quote]

hmm... sorry for the double post, i didn't catch this til a minute later :( but calling an animal an atheist... even though it CAN fit the definition do you really think it actually matters whether or not they are atheist or not? they can't comprehend or choose to be an atheist or not. so I would have a hard time calling them an atheist

Noor
User is offlineOffline
P-Dunn wrote:KCahill

[quote=P-Dunn][quote=KCahill]Animals are atheist, do they have a purpose? What is your purpose of life as a Christian?[/quote]
That was [i]probably[/i] one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. The only way you can classify animals as "atheists" is if you use a flimsy definition of atheism. Animals do not have the mental capacity to understand who or what God is, and therefore cannot be classified as atheists.

This is like accusing all humans of not believing in the Flying Egyptian Rat of Paidjeifnal. You say, "What is that?" Well, how do you know if you believe in it or not if you've never even heard of it, much less understood it? Once you are presented with the possibility of the Flying Rat's existence, you accept it or reject it. Not before.[/quote]

Look up the term "implicit atheist". Although I'm not sure if I would actually classify animals as atheists myself, though. Still they do fit the definition of implicit atheist.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think that the definition

I think that the definition of implicit ateist applies to them... but I would classify an animal as an agnostic.... they do not know in the sense that they do not have the capacity to know. I don't know if this would be more or less correct

- Animals do not have the knowledge base to make any meaningful conclusion about atheism or theism

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
Everybody is an Agnostic

Everybody is an Agnostic until we have all the laws of the universe down pat. Once we know how it works, we can go ahead and check if God exists. But at this point it is all speculation. Given, the vast majority of it is speculation just like all of history is speculation. We have a pretty good idea, I think. But I could be wrong.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Even after we know the laws

Even after we know the laws on on the backs of our hands ... there could still be a god behind them. We will still remain agnostic in the strictest sense that we do not know for certain (as we cannot prove a negative)

I think that we have a pretty good idea... but we still don't know a lot about the universe as a whole (I think) ... but as far as normal physics (not in black holes) - we got them down :)

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eh, I think one of the

Eh, I think one of the things we will never know is the capacity of what we can know.
hmm, and i don't even think I would refer to something such as an animal that can't comprehend anything, as agnostic, theist , or atheist, even though it would fit under atheist and agnostic, it seems pointless

Toxicat
Toxicat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Animals do not have

[quote]Animals do not have the mental capacity to understand who or what God is, and therefore cannot be classified as atheists.[/quote]

You believe in an infinite God.
Humans are animals too, and just like dogs and cats, we have a limited brain capacity. We can't know [i]everything[/i]. How could we even begin to comprehend something as infinite as God?

Humans have made so many discoveries, and advanced so much within the past century alone. Back when the "word of God" was first recorded onto paper, bacteria had centuries to go before it would be introduced to man. My point is, how could animals so long ago [i]possibly[/i] be able to comprehend the Almighty God, when we animals today still are unable to grasp many, many things that are finite?

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:How could we even

[quote]How could we even begin to comprehend something as infinite as God?[/quote]

Umm.... prayer?

[quote]My point is, how could animals so long ago possibly be able to comprehend the Almighty God, when we animals today still are unable to grasp many, many things that are finite?[/quote]

Because they don't comprehend god... they Feel god... and since animals do not seem to Feel god, we assume that they either don't care... or don't think about such things

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
Guruite wrote:Quote:How

[quote=Guruite][quote]How could we even begin to comprehend something as infinite as God?[/quote]

Umm.... prayer?
[/quote]

There is a reason we can't ... either God doesn't exist or he wouldn't waste his time explaining himself to people who are infinitely more retarded than he is.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
I personally would make my

I personally would make my creations be able to understand me in some way... but that is my own feeling

patches
patches's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's one thing I've never

That's one thing I've never understood. How are we supposed to be God's children if we won't be able to understand him? To me it makes creating us pointless.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, not pointless... i

Well, not pointless... i play some RTS games, and they cannot understand me (they don't have minds..) so if god is playing this as a videogame (which if it was a decent one would contain more ninjas, pirates and dragons) then we would not need to understand him

Connor
Connor's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd like to throw in my 2

I'd like to throw in my 2 cents here:

[quote]If life has no purpose anyway (under the atheistic worldview, anyway) then does it really matter if someone kills themself?[/quote]
[quote=P-Dunn]The point, though, is if you actually care about making a difference in the world, "no matter how small," then what you need to understand is this. If God does not exist, and we are all merely the products of a harsh universe and a cosmic accident, and we will all die individually and eventually as a species in a relatively short time, then [i]your life has no purpose[/i], and any difference you think you're making also has no purpose.[/quote]

Does life need some sort of infinite purpose? To say that any contributions we make as indivudals are purposeless without expecting an eternal reward is theistic pompousness. I think that in the grand scheme of things, the purpose in life [i]is[/i] to enjoy yourself in the present and make the future a better place where human life is more enjoyable and enlightened. Just because we can't comprehend or affect every aspect of the universe doesn't make our earthly deeds pointless, we are just restricted and are thus forced to meet restricted goals. Living it up and attempting to meet those goals is our purpose, IMO.

tey
User is offlineOffline
I'm going to have to side

I'm going to have to side with P-Dunn on this one ... ha, and yea the animal thing, that was pretty ridiculous. (btw KCahill, if you would've read P-Dunn's whole post, you would've seen that he did list a few purposes of animals.)

I really don't understand what purpose for life atheism provides. And even if atheism provides some purpose for life such as "bettering mankind," doesn't suicide just kind of defeat that purpose? I believe that all life has purpose and that human life has a special purpose. Our purpose on earth, as humans, is to glorify God and enjoy him forever.

[quote]You believe in an infinite God.[/quote]

Yes our God is infinite.

[quote]Humans are animals too, and just like dogs and cats, we have a limited brain capacity.[/quote]

No we are not animals, we do have finite brains, but we are not animals. We are created in the image of God. God breathed life into man, unlike animals. He also gave us the gift of reason, unlike animals.

[quote]We can't know everything. How could we even begin to comprehend something as infinite as God?[/quote]

Again, this is true that we cannot know everything. But, we can grasp something as infinite as God only because he reveals himself to us through all of creation and his word. Without God revealing himself to man, we wouldn't have a clue. However he does not reveal everything about himself to us, because again our brains are finite; we just quite simply would not understand him.

Deuteronomy 29:29 states "The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law."

[quote]Back when the "word of God" was first recorded onto paper, bacteria had centuries to go before it would be introduced to man.[/quote]

Not true. Leprosy, caused by a bacterium (mycobacterium leprae to be specific) was around in the early biblical setting.

[quote]My point is, how could animals so long ago possibly be able to comprehend the Almighty God, when we animals today still are unable to grasp many, many things that are finite?[/quote]

Again we cannot fully grasp God, but he does reveal himself to us.

InuMarosan22
InuMarosan22's picture
User is offlineOffline
I simply cannot see a way

[b]I simply cannot see a way for atheism to logically provide any purpose to anyone's life.[/b]

And Christianity would… how? Why would Christinianity, rather than atheism give meaning to someone’s life?
And if you’re going to retort with the whole ‘helping others’, ‘spreading love’ charade---I’ll save you the trouble.

When it comes down to it, Christians often expect a higher morality level in themselves than in atheists.

BULLSHIT. The retards at my Catholic school are not only average or stupid, but they get drunk, get high, like any other man/woman would. Atheist or not. They hate, don’t give a crap about going to church, don’t care if anyone gets hurt, walk by a homeless person, laugh at them afterwards, etc. These kinds of prejudices are, in a way, (although most certainly not to the degree) similar to the racism views.

Asian people are automatically smart.
Transylvanians suck blood.
Christians are good people.
Hahahahah. No.

Back to the whole ‘helping others’ tidbit—if donating some money here and there, or giving sympathetic looks to the horrors of life gives them a purpose—cool.

But atheists can do it just as easily. Maybe even more so.

Me? I don’t have a purpose? I’m not exactly sure what university I want to go to, where, what my profession should be, etc.

But I’m also not hopeless.
And I would say that hope is my meaning for life. The journey. The fun. Suceeding in life and working hard to achieve it. Raising a family, loving them, and experience life.

You only live once.

So why live with the thought that you’ll live forever. (the whole eternity in heaven/hell thing)

[b]Animals are atheist, do they have a purpose? What is your purpose of life as a Christian?[/b]

Under normal circumstances, I would have agreed with you, fellow atheist. However I agree with P-Dunn. I laughed outright at this comment.

I appreciate your connection with animals. I’m a vegetarian, so I sympathize with them whole-heartedly. Not to mention my family has an unhealthy weakness for animals. My grandmother had sixty or so cats (as well as random other raccoons, chinchillas, dogs, etc.)
My family has five pets.

So thanks for sticking up for animals! Yay!

But technically we don’t if they are atheists… if they know what atheism means.
We don’t know if they’re religious.

[b]I one of my old good friends recently comitted suicide and I'd just like to know what other atheists think about suicide. Do you think it is selfish? Do you care at all?[/b]

My grandfather committed suicide. He shot himself in the head. I was about five years old. Unfortunately, I was in the room with him when he did it.

When you lose something, especially in this case of death, it’s unbearably hard. You’d probably want to know the usual ‘why’ or ‘how could I prevent it’.

I didn’t know your friend’s circumstances, so I’m afraid there’s not much advice I can give you.

My opinion is that he is obviously not in hell. He’s just gone. Everyone leaves, and poof they’re gone. Maybe they’re reincarnated. Maybe there’s a society of souls, or another world.

Maybe there’s nothing. And life for that individual just ends abruptly.

Whatever it is, it’s unpreventable, for it must happen at some time. Your friend just chose to end it early.

Anyways, I hope you recover and look at life with a much more enlightened or critical eye.

[b]And even if atheism provides some purpose for life such as "bettering mankind," doesn't suicide just kind of defeat that purpose?[/b]

You might not have meant to, but you associated suicide with atheism only. A girl at my school who will go unnamed of course—her father hung himself not so long ago. Christian.

Easy as that.

[b]No we are not animals, we do have finite brains, but we are not animals. We are created in the image of God. God breathed life into man, unlike animals.[/b]

We are animals, Jesus Freak. And you take the Bible much to literally. Creation is a myth. Don’t argue with that. My religion teacher at my school (an ex-priest by the way) told us this, and provided factual information and reasoning.

And if ‘god’ breathed life into man, one could conclude that this gave them life, correct?

Animals are alive. Am I mistaken?

So therefore, if your whole ‘breathing’ theory ever happened, Goddy Woddy would have definitely done it to the animals too.

And one last thing. I do believe the topic was: “[b]I'd just like to know what other atheists think about suicide…”[/b]

Keyword there: [i][b]ATHEISTS.[/b][/i]

Christians go to church. Your opinions won’t affect our religious beliefs, or rather, lack of them.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, InuMarosan. Nice

Welcome, InuMarosan. Nice post.

tey
User is offlineOffline
Quote:And even if atheism

[quote]And even if atheism provides some purpose for life such as "bettering mankind," doesn't suicide just kind of defeat that purpose?

You might not have meant to, but you associated suicide with atheism only. A girl at my school who will go unnamed of course—her father hung himself not so long ago. Christian.

Easy as that.[/quote]

No, I did not. I was responding to the fact that it is contradictory to justify suicide and still hold beliefs that life has purpose.

I never said anything about whether or not Christians (or people from any other religions) commit suicide. I only mentioned atheism because that happens to be part of this thread's topic. Christians do not justify suicide. It is not the unforgivable sin, but it is in fact still a sin. And you will be accountable for it just like any other sin.

[quote]No we are not animals, we do have finite brains, but we are not animals. We are created in the image of God. God breathed life into man, unlike animals.

We are animals, Jesus Freak. And you take the Bible much to literally. Creation is a myth. Don’t argue with that. My religion teacher at my school (an ex-priest by the way) told us this, and provided factual information and reasoning.

And if ‘god’ breathed life into man, one could conclude that this gave them life, correct?

Animals are alive. Am I mistaken?

So therefore, if your whole ‘breathing’ theory ever happened, Goddy Woddy would have definitely done it to the animals too.[/quote]

1) What's with the insults? Insulting me only shows that you are at your rope's end with your argument.

2) You said you go to a Catholic school right? I'm a Christian. Of course I am not going to share the same beliefs as an ex-priest of Catholicism. Catholicism is not Christianity, don't argue with that.

3) How am I taking the Bible much too literally? It says in Genesis, and I quote "So God created man in his own image...." Also you'll notice in Genesis it says that "God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds." Then he moved on to creating man. And the whole "breath of life" thing is not something I just made up: "When the LORD God made the earth and the heavens- and no shrub of the field had yet appeared on the earth and no plant of the field had yet sprung up, for the LORD God had not sent rain on the earth and there was no man to work the ground, but streams came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground- the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being."

It mentions nothing in the Bible about God breathing the breath of life into animals. All animals are living in a sense, yes. But they were not given the breath of life which was given to us.

[quote]And one last thing. I do believe the topic was: “I'd just like to know what other atheists think about suicide…”

Keyword there: ATHEISTS.

Christians go to church. Your opinions won’t affect our religious beliefs, or rather, lack of them.[/quote]

Is this not a public forum for debating? Hence the name, freethinkingteens.com. I came to see what the atheist view of suicide was and to debate it if it differed from mine.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Catholicism is not

[quote]Catholicism is not Christianity, don't argue with that.[/quote]

It's funny how there are catholics who say the same about protestants.

tey
User is offlineOffline
Maybe I should re-phrase

Maybe I should re-phrase that. Catholicism is most of the time categorized under Christianity (in the sense of a topic). However when the term Christian or Christianity is used, more often than not, it is refering to Protestantism which has many opposing views to Catholicism in things such as the basis of salvation and the fact that Catholics believe that Mary is the mediator between God and man.

InuMarosan22
InuMarosan22's picture
User is offlineOffline
I came to see what the

[b]I came to see what the atheist view of suicide was and to debate it if it differed from mine.[/b]

Your words cannot possibly comfort him. The line that separates religions or even having no religion at all is crossed over in almost any situation.

Your idea of helping the guy who started this particular discussion is not what he's looking for.
As you are not atheist, you cannot sympathize.

He wants to know what we, those who share his opinions, have to say.

[b]How am I taking the Bible much too literally? It says in Genesis, and I quote "So God created man in his own image...."[/b]

There are two ways to view the Bible. Contextually or literally. Most choose contextually. However, your reinforcement of the whole 'breathing life' thing is taking the Bible literally.
THUS MY POINT.

Google it.

[b]I was responding to the fact that it is contradictory to justify suicide and still hold beliefs that life has purpose. [/b]

You've lived a very sheltered life, I presume?
What is your most horrific event?
You have a personal history with suicide?

If not, then please don't act as if you understand the situation.
If so, and if your being honest about your answer, then my opinion of you rises a little higher.

But I still don't understand your reasonings.

tey
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Your words cannot

[quote]Your words cannot possibly comfort him. The line that separates religions or even having no religion at all is crossed over in almost any situation.

Your idea of helping the guy who started this particular discussion is not what he's looking for.
As you are not atheist, you cannot sympathize.

He wants to know what we, those who share his opinions, have to say.[/quote]

His original words do not show that he is looking for comfort. He asked what people thought about suicide. He asked if people thought it was selfish or if they care at all. I am registered, therefore I can talk.

[quote]How am I taking the Bible much too literally? It says in Genesis, and I quote "So God created man in his own image...."

There are two ways to view the Bible. Contextually or literally. Most choose contextually. However, your reinforcement of the whole 'breathing life' thing is taking the Bible literally.
THUS MY POINT.

Google it.[/quote]

You are right and wrong. There are two main ways to interpret the Bible, as you stated above; however, the correct way to interpret the Bible is not simply by choosing one way or the other. The correct way of interpreting the Bible is by using both ways of viewing, depending on the verse. Creation is something you need to take literally. The parables of Jesus require the application of biblical understanding which only God can grant. Now that I have told you my way of interpretation, you tell me yours. I would like to see how you interpret "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."

Google is no use here, by the way.

[quote]You've lived a very sheltered life, I presume?
What is your most horrific event?
You have a personal history with suicide?

If not, then please don't act as if you understand the situation.
If so, and if your being honest about your answer, then my opinion of you rises a little higher.

But I still don't understand your reasonings.[/quote]

That is probably one of the most ridiculous presumptions I have ever heard, and quite unfair might I add. Just because I don't justify suicide doesn't mean death has never affected my life in any way.

In fact someone from my school jumped off of the top story in the center of a mall. (and btw I go to a small Christian school, so you know everyone)

One of my dear friends was throw from a car by a drunk driver. He didn't die instantly. His parents eventually decided to pull his life support since he was brain dead.

Two of my grandparents died within the same week. In fact, my granfather died during my grandmother's funeral. I watched as they suffered through cancer. Neither of them could speak to me. I only occasionally heard cries of pain from them. The only thing that helped me through my grandparent's death is the fact that I knew they were saved. Even when they were dying (while they could still speak) they professed Christ as their Savior. They trusted in Him until the end. My grandmother showed me a very important thing. She showed me that even in death, God is still by your side. She taught me how to die. No complaints. Even the week before she died she was praying for people who had colds. She was a woman of faith, and was greatly respected by those around her, as was my grandfather.

So please, don't make assumptions about me.

InuMarosan22
InuMarosan22's picture
User is offlineOffline
His original words do not

[b]His original words do not show that he is looking for comfort. He asked what people thought about suicide. He asked if people thought it was selfish or if they care at all. I am registered, therefore I can talk.[/b]

I may not take the Bible literally. (AT ALL, by the way since I'm, *gasp*, atheist!)
But again, I'll restate something I said a few comments ago.
Yes, this is America. Yes, you can say what you want.

But taking [b]Patches[/b]' comment [i]literally[/i]... He asked for the atheist input. Because you believe in an after-life, and he most likely does not (ATHEIST), then he would like to know what we, [i][b]atheists[/b][/i] believe about what happens after death.

"I'd just like to know what other [i]atheists [/i]think about suicide."

[b]Now that I have told you my way of interpretation, you tell me yours. [/b]

Silly question to ask an atheist.

[b]I would like to see how you interpret "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."[/b]

"In the beginning, no one has really ANY clue of how the earth was created. THEY WEREN'T THERE. God did not tell them anything. They just created it for their own satisfaction."

As far as the suicide part...
[i]If so, and if your being honest about your answer, then my opinion of you rises a little higher.[/i]
And so it does. I meant what I said.

The thing about your grandparents is very romantic. The grandfather dying during the funeral of his wife. I commend them, wherever they are, if they "[i]are[/i]."

For my wonderful granparents... There's one that I love and adore, because she is so kind to everything. (Not religious. She was in a concentration camp during the Holocaust. I'm sure that sucked the religion right out of her. She wasn't even Jewish.) She's only kind, in my opinion, to make up for her deeds in the past.
One shot himself.
One died during surgery, (which is not so bad, I guess. You're asleep, thanks to technology.)
The other's an absolute bitch.

All my grandparents, even the saint-like one, tortured my parents when they were young. You should see some of the disgusting scars that cover my mom and dad. It makes me want to vomit, especially when they refuse to tell me the story behind it. I can stomach a lot of things, they know this, and yet they refuse to tell me about their biggest scars. I am more in fear of those stories, than perhaps anything else.

But personally witnessing horrific events is much more...tragic.

Try believing in god when a relative shoots himself in the head three feet away from you. And then, slowly but surely, gallons of blood come at you.

And because you're home alone, and because you're too small (not to mention short... I was always very short.)
You can't open the door.

So no one's there to help you. Not God. Not anyone.
Just you and the corpse of your grandfather.

Amazingly enough, that was not what shook my faith in God. I was such a religious brat when I was kid. I'd tell my friends to keep the commandments. I wouldn't use God's name in vain. I'd actually go to church, [i]instead of ditching like I do today,[/i] and listen, and believe everything.

But by the time I was seven, I realized. I awakened.

If you keep your faith until your death, I only hope it's not a major let-down when whatever happens... happens.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
I personally have a hard

I personally have a hard time understanding why some parts should be taken literally - for instance

Noah's ark? Did it all happen like that? I mean the world flood (enough water) and all animals on ark?

Adam and Eve? Did the snake talk? Did god really remove Adam's rib?

Story of Job? Did God make a bet with satan?

Did god create the universe in the order that the bible says?

Even when I believed, I would say no to all of the above...

Egann
Egann's picture
User is offlineOffline
About the flood: If the

About the flood: If the earth was perfectly flat, the waters of the current oceans would cover the earth to a depth between 8 and 9 thousand feet. There is a new model of coal formation that would say that the Kentucky Coal deposits were created by bark rubbed off of a floating log mat rather than the current swamp model.

Suicide:

Occasionally justified, like a spy taking a suicide pill to keep from talking, but is usually done for purely selfish reasons. Life is precious, and throwing it away is not to be done lightly.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Flood: The earth is not

Flood: The earth is not flat, and how in the world would you form coal out of a big boat in 4000 years? (is that how long it is?)

Suicide: This could sound sorta insensitive .. i mean suicide is terrible and all

I heard a statistic that women are 3 times more likely to attempt suicide and men are 3 times more likely to succeed... I don't know if it is true...

Toxicat
Toxicat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I heard a statistic

[quote]I heard a statistic that women are 3 times more likely to attempt suicide and men are 3 times more likely to succeed... I don't know if it is true...[/quote]

It's true. I learned about it in psychology class. Women often attempt suicide using ways that take a long time (cutting, overdosing, etc) because subconsciously they want to be helped. Men take the shortcut and shoot/hang themselves.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Man, I could never commit

Man, I could never commit suicide knowingly... i just am not tough enough... i mean i dont think that I have the guts to kill myself... although I have never been half as depressed as the people that do kill themselves...

Egann
Egann's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK... I meant perfectly

OK... I meant perfectly sperical, not perfectly flat.

People do not choose if they are born, why should we assume that it is also our choice when and how to die?

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think that I said this...

I think that I said this... I want to choose when to die... it allowes me an mount of control.. less pain for everyone

I think that dying in a pleasant way 3 weeks (just throwing out a number... it could be somewhere around 6 months or so) or so before it would naturally happen in a not so good way (like in a hospital.. or a nursing home) sounds pretty good to me

I assume and I suppose because my life belongs to me, no one else.. it is not someone else's decision to decide when I die - mine alone, or just random chance (well not so random... no one really lives over a hundred years or so)

questions
questions's picture
User is offlineOffline
patches wrote:I one of my

[quote=patches]I one of my old good friends recently comitted suicide and I'd just like to know what other atheists think about suicide. Do you think it is selfish? Do you care at all?[/quote]

I didn't read everything that was written in this post so I might be repeating something. I am a theist, but theist or not, I would consider suicide to be selfish. The most effected by it are the ones that loved him. Its easy for someone who hasn't had to live a hard life to say that suicide is wrong. I am one of those people so I don't understand someone could take their life. In times of depression the Christian would say that God loves me and he cares for me. But I am well aware that a personal touch is needed by people. Teens are walking hormones and are on an emotional rollercoaster so I know it's easy to get depressed as a teen. Many Christians will say come to Christ and all your problems will go, but that is not true. God didn't promise heaven on earth. Look at the book of Job, one day God took all he had. Depression is real and it should be talked about. Many Christians won't admit that they deal with depression because they think if I'm a Christian I am not suppose to get depressed, but it's not true. You don't become superhuman when you get saved. Theist or no Theist when you feel like your depressed and even the slightest thought of suicide enters your mind you should talk to someone about it. Suicide is not the answer.