Atheist Question

Prerunner05
User is offlineOffline
Atheist Question

Do atheists believe in morals such as Right and Wrong? If no, why? If yes, why?

Presup
Presup's picture
User is offlineOffline
Name time and chat room and

Name the time and chat room and I'll be there. If you think your position is so strong face me there and that's all I have to say because forums as I have just found are a real waste of time. That goes out to any of you who thinks their position is in any way good.

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
See, the problem with chat

See, the problem with chat rooms or IM's is there's no real hard copy. There's no real time for planning. There's no need for continuity,and you can simply flood your opponent.

The first is a problem because it's so easy to quote somebody out of context, A) in debate, and B) afterwards, when you claim you beat the big bad atheist.

The second eliminates most of the rationality, reducing it to a shouting match.

The third is quite obviously a negative.

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is message not the

It is message not the medium. Say what you have to say wherever you want to say it, but don't expect people to go extraordinarily out of their way to debate someone who seems to not know how to properly argue.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Zhwazi

[quote=Zhwazi][quote=AgnosticAtheist1][quote=noor]I think Zhwazi did a pretty good job of answering your questions thoroughly, perhaps you didn't read them fully. Why don't you try and dismantle the responses point-by-point?[/quote]

Because he can't.[/quote]
Ya know, I think the point in noor asking that was to get him to admit it, not because he didn't already know the answer.[/quote]

Yeah, on every debate I've come across, the theist always picks and chooses one or two small parts of the atheist response and then unsuccessfully attempts to point out a "flaw" in it, basing everything on an ancient book. I do realize that it's hard for a theist to back up their position with pure reason and logic, since they believe in nonsense.

Whitecrow
Whitecrow's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think Zhwazi really

I think Zhwazi really convered the points pretty well. It's a pity that Presup started through around "dodging" blames while doing it himself.

One thing about my question though- considering that Presup will normally do something which he wouldnt do if God fully told him to shows the moral bankrupcy and the subjectivity of it all. Yeah, "God" does tell us to kill the innocence it happened on 9/11, it happened with all those murderers that thought God was talking to them. It happens.

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
noor wrote:Yeah, on every

[quote=noor]Yeah, on every debate I've come across, the theist always picks and chooses one or two small parts of the atheist response and then unsuccessfully attempts to point out a "flaw" in it, basing everything on an ancient book. I do realize that it's hard for a theist to back up their position with pure reason and logic, since they believe in nonsense.[/quote]
What's better is how they pick a couple things to call a "flaw" and act as if it refuted the other 95% of the post. People do that to me so often.

Presup
Presup's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chat in my view is a lot

Chat in my view is a lot better and forums jus seem like a waste of time . Chat keeps things quick and lets the views stand as they truly are.

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presup wrote:Chat in my view

[quote=Presup]Chat in my view is a lot better and forums jus seem like a waste of time . Chat keeps things quick and lets the views stand as they truly are.[/quote]
Debate is not quick, whether on a forum or an a chat, unless a fundamental precept of one or the other side is easily refuted, in which case the medium is irrelevant.

Are you accusing me of lying about my beliefs?

Do you have anything else to debate on this medium, or do you accept defeat?

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
keeping them quick is a good

keeping them quick is a good thing? keeping things quick leads to flawed logic and instant judgement. Time allows for the logical process of critical thought to occur.

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
AgnosticAtheist1 wrote:Time

[quote=AgnosticAtheist1]Time allows for the logical process of critical thought to occur.[/quote]
I think that's why he likes not having time.

Presup
Presup's picture
User is offlineOffline
Its ok that you don't have

Its ok that you don't have enough support for your belief to defend it at face alue. If you want to hold it at blind faith, just try and avoid questions, and do not know your position well enough that fine. Tell me when you don't

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can we just declare this a

Can we just declare this a dead topic until someone new posts? Seems as though this isn't getting anywhere.

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presup wrote:Its ok that you

[quote=Presup]Its ok that you don't have enough support for your belief to defend it at face alue. If you want to hold it at blind faith, just try and avoid questions, and do not know your position well enough that fine. Tell me when you don't[/quote]
Hypocrite.

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presup wrote:Its ok that you

[quote=Presup]Its ok that you don't have enough support for your belief to defend it at face alue. If you want to hold it at blind faith, just try and avoid questions, and do not know your position well enough that fine. Tell me when you don't[/quote]I'll bite.

I know that it is irrational to believe in a concept or idea without having supporting evidence.

it doesn't matter if the concept or idea has not been proven wrong. saying it is valid because you can't prove it invalid is a fallacy called "argument from ignorance"

IHateJesus
IHateJesus's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm probably hella late on

I'm probably hella late on this subject, but I feel like slamming my opinion down, anyways. I don't speak for all Atheists, obviously, only for myself. I believe morality is a human-devised concept with so many fallacies that you can't say "I have morals." and mean the same thing as another person who provided you with the same statement. I don't believe in "good" or "evil." They're made-up concepts. What's black to one person could be white to another. Growing up in a first-world country like the United States or the UK nurtures you to believe murder is "wrong." However, in a more rugged country, maybe India, a woman could be stoned to death because she committed adultery and all the members of her community would not think twice that it was a bad thing at all. They have the idea that "Oh, well, she's a bad person for being promiscuous and deceptive like that, I'm glad she's not a part of our community any longer." Where as we would be appalled to have that happen in our society. There are actually two morals involved in that situation, both societies lacking in understanding one. Where as we lack the ability to understand their reasoning that adultery is wrong (perhaps religiously influenced, no?), they lack the ability to understand why we think murdering someone is wrong, even if they broke a moral code.

I don't know if any of you have read "Mysterious Stranger" by Mark Twain, but it's kind of a metaphor for how morals are probably the most disgusting thing to any being lacking them. Much recommended.

Morals, in terms of natural selection, I suppose reassure you that your partner doesn't do things like.. lie? Then you know that they didn't lie to you when they said "Oh, no.. I don't have an STD.." and your offspring aren't born with complications. But again, I don't like the concept of morals. I have my own, obviously, but I'm open-minded enough to realize that mine are much different than the person sitting next to me in the doctor's office. I also, personally, have cut back my beliefs on what's commonly accepted as "wrong" and "right." Like, I don't believe being non-judgmental or kind is necessarily a good thing. I don't believe killing is a bad thing. Everyone can rationalize anything. I could easily rationalize any murder case. I don't plan on going out and killing anyone, but I wouldn't say a person who has is necessarily "immoral."

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
Read the thread. You can

Read the thread. You can have a rational basis for morality that's consistent and not arbitrary. Or at least, if you can refute the morality I advocate, please do so, as I'd hate to be advocating something that's incorrect.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, I have read the posts

Ok, I have read the posts but I skipped around a bit, so forgive me if I bring up a point that has been covered. Now, I will put my two cents in... I am not totally sure exactly if my reasoning is right, and I will do my best to avoid "straw men."

I personally do beleve in objective morality. I take what I beleve from a book by Lenoard Peikoff called "Objectivism: the philosophy of ayn rand" - I could be off on this so if I am, by all means correct me

I personally beleve that rights come from the ability to reason, as such, I do not beleve that animals have rights.

A violation of rights can only be acheved by the initation of force (or it's indirect forms such as fraud and stealing)

The government only has a right to stop people from violating others rights. (as far a I am concerned... the government has the only duty of protecting our rights)

Now, Violating rights is not the only form of wrong and right. I personally beleve that it is terriably wrong to torture animals. However, i do not beleve that the government has a right to stop someone from doing so.

I also beleve that it is (in general) wrong to lie to people and to hurt their feelings. However, i do not beleve that the government has a right to stop people from doing so (obviously there are exceptions such as "No, jumping into lava wont hurt you" or if you hurt their feelings by hurting them physically)

All of these rights rest upon man considering his life as the paramount value... ( i wish i could find that book, it explanes this so much better than i do... )

I am not sure if I covered this fully, so alert me to any holes that i left (and I am open so again I might be wrong)

The property theory definintly has some good merit... I like it

(again i skimmed the conversaion) Has anyone presented the arguement that Theists cannot be fully "moral" as they present it, because all of their morality rests upon reward and punishment. Like a kid dosent steal because he knows he will get in trouble, not because it is the wrong thing to do.

patches
patches's picture
User is offlineOffline
Have you ever read "Ethics

Have you ever read "Ethics without God", I forgot who it is was by. The author present s many of the arguements you do. Their are universal goods and evils, whether your thiest or atheist, most would agree on that. Most would agree that the torture of children, people, animals and such, is wrong. As would they be able to agree that hurting people's feelings and breaking promises is wrong. But good, evil, right , and wrong are all subjective terms. During WW2, the allies thought the nazis, and such, to be evil, and they they thought us to be evil. We thought they were doing wrong, and vise-versa.
That is not to say however, that society shouldn't have guidelines only because the terms are subjective( people as a whole are too stupid and ignorant for that.) The fore-fathers of America knew that, but they also knew that religion couldn't be a factor, so they wrote they constitution based on universal goods, evils, rights, and wrongs, without bringing up religion.

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
Okay, beat the crap out of

Okay, beat the crap out of this idea, please.

the more I think about it, the more i am coming to think that, because i am able to quickly evaluate what seems right and what doesn't, I might as well should. I have a through understanding of the logical basis of morals, and know how to apply the ideas to real life. My only thing with morals is that once you get a good set of rules, it is inadequate. It fails to deal with nuance. Killing may be a bad idea in a majority of situations, but when your situations calls for it, and it becomes the best option, there is no point in beating yourself up for it. If you did something wrong, even though you thought it was right, then the legal system can step in. I am also aware of those repercussions to my choices.

My point: Morals, if defined by concrete rules, are not as optimal as a nuanced view, based on the understanding of what makes things good and bad, not a list of bad things, or the concrete rules of Morality.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Have you ever read "Ethics

Have you ever read "Ethics without God", I forgot who it is was by.

no, i am low on funds right now.. but if it is redaly avalable (like a download if it is legal)

Most would agree that the torture of children, people, animals and such, is wrong. As would they be able to agree that hurting people's feelings and breaking promises is wrong.

I dont care about what feels wrong. It is what should be punished by law. I do not beleve that torturing animas should be punishable by law (except for mabey chimps and other high level primates... because they might have rights...) because (i beleve) animals do not have rights. If they did have rights then it should be punishable by law. However, I beleve that torturing animals could be one of the most terriable things ever, way above stealing something. (however the person who is stolen from has the right to their property)

But good, evil, right , and wrong are all subjective terms.

Not really, People can take them diffrently (so i guess in that way you are right) but i beleve in objective morality for all...

[quote]That is not to say however, that society shouldn't have guidelines only because the terms are subjective( people as a whole are too stupid and ignorant for that.) The fore-fathers of America knew that, but they also knew that religion couldn't be a factor, so they wrote they constitution based on universal goods, evils, rights, and wrongs, without bringing up religion.[/quote]

They decided that rights are inalenable and that violating rights was the cause for arrest/fines. This is how it should be. The problem is when we decide what gives us our rights. Is it because of god? Well, no. Is it because we can feel pain? Well, no... sove very low level creatures can feel pain.

So what gives us rights? well, I have decided that the ability to reason gives us rights (i know.. it has some little problems at the border... but still)

If you have a better idea of what gives us rights.. please tell me

[quote] My point: Morals, if defined by concrete rules, are not as optimal as a nuanced view, based on the understanding of what makes things good and bad, not a list of bad things, or the concrete rules of Morality.[/quote]

First, with morality. you need to distinguish from "wrong" and "right" and something that is in the next level. By this I mean, (and i am proably thinking of a word that has already been thought of... ) that if you hurt someone's feelings.. it is wrong. If you give money to a good charity it is good (obviously this is not always the case... but in general)

The next level of moral wrongs is where the law comes into it. I beleve that the only way that the law should be able to force you to stop whatever you are doing is if you are initiating force. (this includes many formes of force such as fraud or stealing or lying in some circumstances)

Anywho, when you figure out your moral "system" (and i mean you need to have an integrated system .. no contradictions - even if you "feel" diffrently.. you need to use logic)

The you can start to build a system of principles. I have built a system of principles, I dont drink - however i would not call the police if someone did, and it would not be terriable if I did drink.

I do not lie (haha, well, sometimes but I try not to) the reason for this is two part. 1 trust is importiant, to build a system of trust with people requires you to be truthful. and 2 it makes me feel "icky" inside. however, no 2 comes after no 1

Principles are rules that flow from a rational system of morals. They allow someone to make a decision quickly without trying to weigh the pros/cons of that decision.

Commandments and irrational rules on the other hand, start at the "feeling" of what is wrong, and try to build a moral system out of them.

BTW i beleve that most people see the basic morals in the same way (no killing, lying is bad) however at the extreme ends (abortion / stem cells) they argue. This is because they place the importance of some rules above others... if they really thougt about a moral system (if we taught people to think) then there would be much less contention/violence.

(This I beleve...)

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
Makes you feel icky? Why

Makes you feel icky? Why should you? Do you like feeling icky? Do you need to feel icky to force yourself out of compulsive lying?

My only contention is that, even though killing is bad most of the time, rules aren't the answer for people who can think. I can think about consequences, and make a choice without having rules to tell me. Because rules are ultimately less effective. They cannot account for nuances.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Makes you feel

[quote]Makes you feel icky?[/quote]

Yes, lying makes me feel icky... but it was sort of a joke...

[quote]Why should you? Do you like feeling icky?[/quote]

No, icky is generally a negative feeling... which is why i dont lie...

[quote]Do you need to feel icky to force yourself out of compulsive lying?[/quote]

Haha, umm no... and i dont really follow your reasoning. Feeling icky is feeling bad... lying makes me feel icky... therefore lying leads to feeling bad (I think that the logic would flow thus)

and as a joke.. it really dosent matter

and as i said, the one aobut society takes precidance over the icky one (as a joke ... sortof)

[quote]My only contention is that, even though killing is bad most of the time, rules aren't the answer for people who can think. I can think about consequences, and make a choice without having rules to tell me. Because rules are ultimately less effective. They cannot account for nuances.[/quote]

Which is why people need to think and build a system of principles. Rules are helpful for punishments and to keep order in society (because people do not think and do not live according to principles)

Rules are not for people to break... they are for people to follow.. we dont like giving out punisments and it would be better if people never broke the rules. So, rules dont apply to thoes who dont break them and the ones who do are either doing so because it is a dumb rule or because they dont have a system of logical principles and dont follow principles

Oh, and with religion there is a third exception, they do it because their principles are horriable

like the quote:

[quote]In all societies good people do good things and bad people do bad things but to make good people do bad things you need a religion [/quote]

or something like that

Iconoclastithon
User is offlineOffline
Prerunner05 wrote:Do

[quote=Prerunner05]Do atheists believe in morals such as Right and Wrong? If no, why? If yes, why?[/quote]

Not an atheist, but a deist.

However, in answer to your question. The answer is natural and rational...
Humans atre a social animal species. The onlly wrong is to infringe on another individuals rights and freedoms. Therefore, certain Utilitarian type laws are set up because we know this fact instictively and we also know intictively ythat the best way to assure the less likelyhod of our individual rights and freedoms as beeings not beieng infriged upon is to start out in a spirit of co-operation and respect due to the rationbal self-interest of such; in due time... this ethic becomes a part of the individual and collective psyche and hence... we don't think about the fact that we are acting in our oiwn interest by respecting or even defiending and helping out those of other individuals in the world... we develop a natural sympathy and we call this charity,compassion, and love{on the unconcious level we do these things because we, the individual benefit from such acts and feelings; but our concious mind does not think about this often}, it's just simply the way the human animal operates, no god is needed to be beleive din and no holy book or prophet in needed for us to simply live this instinct, we just DO, and those few that don't or outright rject it- are not in touch with their animal humanness- they are not natural human beeings in the sense that they reject their own humanness.

In Reason:
Iconoclastithon

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline
I personally think that is

I personally think that is one of the most irrational questions Ive ever saw on a message board.

1. What is Right or Wrong?
Is it right to donate or is it right to worship the Christian God?

2. Morals:
Every human has morals and ethics (to a degree). You learn them from your gaurdians, parents, grandparents, etc. Not from a god in a book.

NaLalina
User is offlineOffline
the importance of evidence to being moral

Yes, atheists believe that certain things should be done under certain conditions (what English-speakers call "right") and certain things should not be done under certain conditions (what English-speakers call "wrong.") All humans and some non-human animals (with a functioning cerebral cortex) have such beliefs (or at least behave as if they have such beliefs) because of their genes.

We are sentient and often avoid suffering and seek well-being because of our genes. Therefore, we think that things that cause suffering are wrong (should not be done) and things that cause well-being are right (should be done). To "harm" is to cause more suffering, and to "help" is to cause more well-being.

People usually don't disagree on what's harmful and what's helpful in a given situation. There's disagreement from conflict of interests, but there are usually ways to resolve conflicts without resorting to really harmful behavior. Faith causes more disagreements because that's when evidence (things that anyone can perceive for themselves) doesn't matter to the person of faith. How can we come to an agreement on whether or not homosexuality is wrong if you assume that homosexuality causes suffering in the form of punishment from God while I'm looking at evidence that homosexuality itself does not cause needless suffering? If you assume that Jews are all evildoers and ignore my evidence to the contrary, then how can we come to an agreement about whether or not to kill Jews? How can we agree on whether slavery is good or bad when I’m pointing at evidence that it causes unnecessary suffering, but you’re assuming that it’s not bad because God condoned it the bible? Whether or not something is harmful or helpful should not be taken on faith; there should be evidence.

Dave_G
Dave_G's picture
User is offlineOffline
The ten commandments were

The ten commandments were written because of what man considers right and wrong not the other way around.

devoutatheist
User is offlineOffline
yes we do, simply because

yes we do, simply because the fact that we have a mind!

Sabrina (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Are you Retarded?!?!?!
Are you Christians really that stupid!?!?!?!?! a sense of right and wrong is a NATURAL BORN thing not learned in a religious setting... Heres a question for you Christians, Are you all born believing that a dead guy in the sky controles everything or do you choose to be naive?