Birds and Reptiles

liberal agnostic
User is offlineOffline
Birds and Reptiles

I only learned this recently on antoher forum, but birds are actually classified under reptiles. Sorta. A guy mentioned it on another forum and I looked on wikipedia and he was right. For some reason, Aves is like a subclass of reptiles or something. I might be wrong, I don't know.

Also, if birds are reptiles, then that would make them dinosaurs. A dinosaur is a reptile with legs directly beneath it.

Toxicat
Toxicat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, new fossil evidence

Well, new fossil evidence reinforces the theory that birds evolved from maniraptors, theropods or bird-like dinosaurs. Also, it is commonly acknowledged that birds are the closest living relatives to crocodiles.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Indeed.

Indeed.

Egann
Egann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anatomically impossible,

Anatomically impossible, even if scientists say that it is the case.

The reptile lung uses the same in-out system we use. Air comes in and exits from the same place.

The avian (bird) lung works on a continuous flow. The air does not go in and out, but follows a continuous path from the intake port, through the lungs, to the hollow air-sacs in the bones, and to the exaust port. The air never flows backwards.

Note: this is an example of irriducible complexity, but it is also the grounds for Archiopterix being concidered a true bird and several dissenting evolutionary factions that claim that, as that birds cannot anatomically evolve from reptiles, that they directly evolved from fish. It is not just a clever theist argument against evolution. It is an exaple of theists agreeing more with evolutionists than evolutionists with other evolutionists. I will agree with the mainstream that birds did not evolve from fish, and I will agree with the dissenters that birds did not evolve from reptiles.

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
*Reads Egann's post...then

*Reads Egann's post...then reads Egann's signature*

?

Egann
Egann's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's right. The

That's right. The "unbeliever" is inconsistant by asserting that birds evolved from reptiles because it is impossible.

The "unbeliever" is arbitrary because the science used to prove the impossibility of the evolution is not founded on anything beyond an assumed ability to prove anything.

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
Birds did evolve,

Birds did evolve, stupid.

AnswersInGenesis.com has been refuted to death. (I bet you're getting your info from there.)

Egann
Egann's picture
User is offlineOffline
No, actually. (although if

No, actually. (although if you are so sure that it has been refuted, sources or links would be appreciated)

Denton, Michael, [i]Evolution: a Theory in Chrisis[/i] Pages 210-11

web references:

http://www.darwinismrefuted.com/natural_history_2_03.html

Non-creationist / Intelligent Design / etc. web references

http://www.people.eku.edu/ritchisong/birdrespiration.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lung

overview of anatomy:
http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/multimedia/birdlungs/

It is the Parabronchii (the portion with air continuously flowing in one direction regardless of the inhale or the exhale) that is the problem for evolution. It cannot evolve from a pure in-out system because the alveoli must function in order for the creature to survive, and for the air to constantly flow, there must be both air sacs present (in other words, this is real irreducible complexity. It cannot come from a less complex reptilian lung without multiple simultaneous and physiologically large steps.)

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
Check out the creationist

Check out the creationist claims index at talkorigins.org

And look around this site.

http://edwardtbabinski.us/

Egann
Egann's picture
User is offlineOffline
I read it. It ammounts to

I read it. It ammounts to this:

Life evolved

Birds are alive

Therefore, even if we can't explain it, birds evolved.

Face it, that doesn't cut it. The avian lung is the irreducible complexity writ large. If evolution cannot explain all of the diversity of presently found life, [i]don't claim it can.[/i]

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
*SIGH* Did you read it from

*SIGH*

Did you read it from the creationist index claims at talkorigins.org?

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
http://www.talkorigins.org/or

http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/feedback/nov99.html

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/section2.html

Just in case anybody is interested.

Toxicat
Toxicat's picture
User is offlineOffline
liberal agnostic

[quote=liberal agnostic]
Also, if birds are reptiles, then that would make them dinosaurs. A dinosaur is a reptile with legs directly beneath it.[/quote]

I was probably in a hurry when I wrote my last post. Sorry I wasn't very specific.

Dinosaurs and reptiles are [b]not[/b] the same thing. Dinosaurs [i]evolved[/i] about 230 million years ago from primitive reptilian relatives, but dinosaurs belong to their own separate group.

You might think that since dinosaurs came from reptiles, and birds came from dinosaurs, then technically birds came from reptiles. But that's not the case. That's like saying humans came from monkeys, and we didn't. We are a [i]relative[/i] of monkeys. Like I said, birds are the closest [i]relative[/i] to crocodiles.

The striking resemblances of birds and dinosaurs, especially the little meat-eaters, are what convince many scientists that birds evolved from dinosaurs, not reptiles. Dinosaurs had hollow bones and walked upright as birds do. Meat-eating dinosaurs had very similar skulls to birds, and a few of the smaller meat-eaters had bodies and arms similar to birds'. It is agreed, for the most part, that the Archaeopteryx was the first bird. It had feathers, however, unlike a bird, it had a bony tail and teeth instead of a beak, and claws on the wings. It was contended that, if the feathers had not been found with the fossil, the creature would have been identified as a small dinosaur. The skeleton does have some bird-like features such as a wishbone and bird-like feet.

(Information about the Archaeopteryx from here.)

All in all, I don't think that birds came from reptiles...or, fish? :O But I think there is enough evidence to show that they are descendants of dinosaurs.

logos
User is offlineOffline
Egann has told me to tell

Egann has told me to tell you that he does not appreciate people who claim to be "open minded" yet resort to strong-arm tactics.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, even among biologists

Well, even among biologists there seems to be some sort of argument about the classification of birds. I believe that the cladeists (spelling?) believe in only classifying things according to evolutionary relationships, while the traditionalists (probably a different word.. but that is what they are..) believe in classifying things by physiological characteristics. (I have heard that there was a marsupial 'big cat' - marsupials split from mammals before the cat group was formed (I believe) , so by evolution this cat is closer to a kangaroo than a tiger, but physiologically speaking it was closer to a tiger)

However, this deals more with the position of organisms on the classification chart. - Birds are close to reptiles

Noor
User is offlineOffline
logos wrote:Egann has told

[quote=logos]Egann has told me to tell you that he does not appreciate people who claim to be "open minded" yet resort to strong-arm tactics.[/quote]

There's a difference between open-minded and ignorant of the facts.