having more DNA

hush
User is offlineOffline
having more DNA

this information could be wrong but i once herd a human had more dna than a fly. evolutionary theory says that a fly and a human share a comman ancestor. to my knoweledge no mutation can add more dna just change whats already there. has this issue ever been answered?

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
*sigh* add more information

*sigh* add more information is a tricky term.

There are a certain amount of dna codes, made up of Adenine, Guanine, and two others I forgot, C and T. Those are the only codes available for DNA. However, their order can vary. What is meant by not creating new data is simply that no new venues can come about. MORE DNA is not a problem, as you are simply creating more of the same thing. DNA can replicate millions(probably far more) of different combinatiions of amino acids, but it can never create new building blocks to arrange within that DNA

hush
User is offlineOffline
i just found the answer

i just found the answer after about an hour of looking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_deletion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_duplication

cant belive it took me so long

AgnosticAtheist1
User is offlineOffline
heh, sry, a common

heh, sry, a common creationist argument is over added information meaning new manifestations of DNA(I thought you were talking about that) I didn't actually know about Gene Duplication or Deletion, but I figured something like that happened

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
actually, viruses play a

actually, viruses play a part in evolution.
viruses are designed to copy themselves basically. a lot of them can't do that without the assistance of [i]your[/i] cells.
so they invade your body, enter your cells, and insert their DNA to yours; thus adding information.

AgnosticAtheist1
User is offlineOffline
heh, and we have about 8%

heh, and we have about 8% HERV DNA, and have about 80% of that HERV DNA shared with chimps. That tends to suggest a common ancestor. Conclusion? People who don't believe in evolution, aren't as evolved.