Inheritance Taxes..

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
Inheritance Taxes..

what do you think of them? Also, I often see them mentioned as communistic. Couldn't a strong case be made to the opposite? that they promote 'pulling onesselves up by the bootstraps' and individual accomplishment?

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
They are criminal and

They are criminal and useless.

Criminal because they're theft. Useless because the rich, who inheritance taxes actually have some effect on, completely circumvent inheritance, estate, and other similar taxes by owning their property through a corporation and transferring ownership of the corporation to their kids when they die. It's really kinda funny to me, because it's a process of using the government's own lies against it (the lie being the corporation).

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
what if we eliminated cash.

what if we eliminated cash. That would eliminate all possibilities of fraud, as well as prevent the wealthy from evading said inheritance tax. Let's just say an inheritance tax and a gift cap.

As for your first objection, where is the theft: that is to say, where are we taking something from somebody who owns the possessions for any reason.

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
AgnosticAtheist1 wrote:what

[quote=AgnosticAtheist1]what if we eliminated cash. That would eliminate all possibilities of fraud, as well as prevent the wealthy from evading said inheritance tax. Let's just say an inheritance tax and a gift cap.[/quote]
No it wouldn't. They don't use cash to own things through corporations. Corporations have bank accounts too.

[quote]As for your first objection, where is the theft: that is to say, where are we taking something from somebody who owns the possessions for any reason.[/quote]
Theft is the violation of ownership. Ownership is absolute irresponsible control. If you do not have absolute transfer control, then you do not own it. You control your property when you live, and part of that is being able to transfer control to someone else given a certain event, such as payment for property, or you dying. Any requirement that taxes are paid for any reason necessarily violates absolute irresponsible control, and thus violates ownership, which is theft.

If nobody chose to give you something, and you take it anyway, you're stealing it.

liberal agnostic
User is offlineOffline
I'm a huge supporter of the

I'm a huge supporter of the inheritance tax. Something has to pay for this war, and I'm not gonna cry over Paris Hilton.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
I pretty much agree with

I pretty much agree with Zhwazi.

liberal agnostic
User is offlineOffline
You are seem to believe that

You are seem to believe that all taxes are theft. Are country needs taxes to work. The only way we can have no taxes is through anarchy. and Anarchy doesn't work.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
They are theft no matter

They are theft no matter what they're used for. And anarchocapitalism can work.

liberal agnostic
User is offlineOffline
noor wrote:They are theft no

[quote=noor]They are theft no matter what they're used for. And anarchocapitalism can work.[/quote]

How?
Let me see if I understand Anarchocapitalism. No government by the people, but corporations can exist....... So corporations will basically end up being like the government. Only corporate leaders aren't voted for. Anarchocapitalism will lead to an Orwellian scenario. Because withot anti-trust laws, competition will eventually become eliminated. And as such, the consumer will suffer, and those who own the corporations will prosper.

Okay, on a more practical basis, what about police? Or will we let the people serve their own justice? Yeah, that will end well. Lynchings. Lots of lynchings.

To be fair, anarchocaptialism does WORK. As in, it can exist as a system. But the people will end oppressed.

It isn't like the estate tax is gonna make them poor. Rich people will be very rich, but they need to give back to the government that protected their rights and liberties while they were alive.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
liberal agnostic wrote:noor

[quote=liberal agnostic][quote=noor]They are theft no matter what they're used for. And anarchocapitalism can work.[/quote]

How?
Let me see if I understand Anarchocapitalism. No government by the people, but corporations can exist....... So corporations will basically end up being like the government. [/quote]

Government is involuntary.
Corporations are not involuntary. You choose which one you want. You choose Amazon or Ebay, whichever one you want.

[quote]Only corporate leaders aren't voted for. [/quote]

Not as in democracy, in which the majority wins.
With corporations, you choose the corporation you want to patronize and support.

[quote]Anarchocapitalism will lead to an Orwellian scenario. Because withot anti-trust laws, competition will eventually become eliminated. And as such, the consumer will suffer, and those who own the corporations will prosper.[/quote]

If a corporation goes corrupt when competing, it loses its employees and customers, and goes out of business. They have to stay as honest as possible in order to keep their customers.

[quote]Okay, on a more practical basis, what about police?[/quote]

Market police can serve as protection for the people.

[quote] Or will we let the people serve their own justice?[/quote]

If they want to.

[quote] Yeah, that will end well. Lynchings. Lots of lynchings.[/quote]

Lynchings were actually supported by the State in the past. Remember the racism in the 50s and 60s?

[quote]
To be fair, anarchocaptialism does WORK. As in, it can exist as a system. But the people will end oppressed.

It isn't like the estate tax is gonna make them poor. Rich people will be very rich, but they need to give back to the government that protected their rights and liberties while they were alive.[/quote]

Government takes away liberty in the form of laws. And it violates people's rights over themselves by attempting to control them. Which is what makes it tyrannical.