My beliefs about god, and life itself.

Bobby
Bobby's picture
User is offlineOffline
My beliefs about god, and life itself.

While these are not ALL of my beliefs, they are my general views of everything... I don't wanna say everything, as that will take a long while to type out :-).

My beliefs about "god":
I believe that there is a "supreme being". I do not believe that there is a spirit, person, or thing that controls us, chooses our fate, and most of all, chooses when we die. My main reasons for not following a religion? 1) Not enough historical facts to back up biblical bullshit. 2) I see no real point of following one religion, when you can not follow a religion, not be biased towards one religion, and argue about all of them evenly. 3) I hate going to church or some "service". 4) I don't need someone preaching to me, telling me whats right and wrong, telling me what to believe in, telling me that I will go to hell if I don't do certain things. 5) I just flat out don't believe any of it.

My thoughts about "life:
I believe that there is a purpose to life... or a purpose of life. I believe that that same purpose has not been found, and if it is, then we would cease to exist. What drives every human being to keep living? To find their purpose of living. To find out why they are here. I believe every human being is born with the CHANCE to discover the meaning to life. Every choice they make, may either heighten, or lower, that chance. One day a human being will be born, in order to discover the meaning to life. Just like there was a human being born to discover electricity (Ben Franklin). Everyone is born with some purpose. No matter if it's to just take up space, or to make a great discovery, or to provide the public with movie's to keep them entertained when they have nothing else to do. Either way, everyone has some sort of a purpose.

Every choice you make is like throwing a pebble in a river. It will create a ripple effect, every action has a consequence. Those pebbles will, over time, change the flow of the river. Over time, the flow of your personal river will change based upon your actions. Life is what you make it.

Hope that keeps you all entertained for a while :-).

Nick
User is offlineOffline
Why?

Why do you believe in a Supreme Being?

www.myspace.com/nickpoling

Noah
Noah's picture
User is offlineOffline
just a couple questions

just a couple questions abrout the post. im not trying to argue or say your wrong just to be clear.

what exactly do you mean when you say "supreme being"? you clearly stated what it wasnt but didnt shead much light on what it was. second when you say there arent enough "historical facts to back up the biblical bullshit" exactly what are you refering to? what is it you think needs more historical evidence?

Bobby
Bobby's picture
User is offlineOffline
I believe in a supreme being

I believe in a supreme being because, well, no one or nothing is the best, there always is a higher form of life (It's possible we may be the top life form, but we can never really be too sure now can we?). Maybe the supreme being is still developing, maybe it's there but we can't detect it. Maybe we are like ants, in an ant farm... You never really know, these are just my opinions.

Historical evidence? Most of the "bible" isn't backed up by historical facts. I don't really have any exact examples right now, but I really just don't think most of it goes hand in hand..

fattychunks
fattychunks's picture
User is offlineOffline
high! "(It's possible we may

high!

"(It's possible we may be the top life form, but we can never really be too sure now can we?). "

well, there's really no reason to assume that we're NOT the top life form atm. unfounded speculations arent true theories, really. just like we dismiss god as being an unfounded speculation, the speculation that there could be higher lifeforms falls as well

::::::::::::
nontheist

Nick
User is offlineOffline
Good point, Fattychunks (ha

Good point, Fattychunks (ha ha!). Just because there COULD BE isn't a reason why we should believe there IS.

There could be teapots orbiting Pluto. Although I'm pretty sure there isn't.

www.myspace.com/nickpoling

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think bobby was just

I think bobby was just attempting to stay open-minded, which i see as a good thing, I just think he may have gone about it the wrong way. But then again who am i to say what the wrong way is, or what the right way is?

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
Well maybe there is some

Well maybe there is some kind of super-intelligent being that has evolved in some far-away planet... why call that god? what the hell is a god anyway? nobody seems to know outside of religion, I think what you're trying to do is put your spirituality in a rational basis...

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
spirituality and rationality

spirituality and rationality dont mix

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
In the traditional sense,

In the traditional sense, no... yet practices such as meditation can surely be beneficial in a rational point of view.

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
spirituality?

[quote=Derevirn]In the traditional sense, no... yet practices such as meditation can surely be beneficial in a rational point of view.[/quote]
I agree except that when you take away the spirituality from meditation you get calming down and thinking...

I mean why even call that anything special.
I practiced the following the breath meditation of zen for awhile, and in the end, it was just chillin. So why no call it that.

I dunno, my two cents

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
i think meditation is just

i think meditation is just weird. I mean, you dont need to do that to calm your mind. just do it.

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dude that was totally zen!

Dude that was totally zen!

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
so?

so?

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
(I'm just playin guy)

(I'm just playin guy)

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
haha ok. so what do you

haha ok. so what do you think about buddhists?

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
I haven't practiced

I haven't practiced meditation that much... Sam Harris has elaborated on The End of Faith. It isn't just about calming, it's supposed to help you achieve some kind of altered consciousness or something... not sure.

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Buddhists tend to be nice

Buddhists tend to be nice people though I used to go to buddhist meetings -I was one- and there were fundies. They were against questioning karma and rebirth.

Still, it isn't a very dogmatic religion and its scriptures encourage free enquiry (kalamas sutra) for converts.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
oh well , they arent real

oh well , they arent real buddhists then. buddhism is peaceful and thoughts are welcome

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Meditation": can mean a

"Meditation": can mean a whole lotta things. The "experiments of conciousness" that Harris describes makes me think of some mixture of eastern spirituality and psychoactive drug use.. Either wy he is a brillant author.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
hahaha psychoactive drug use

hahaha psychoactive drug use :) and yes he is a great author

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
Well yeah "altered state of

Well yeah "altered state of consciousness" could mean anything... seizures, alcohol, drugs, whatever!

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Buddhism is peaceful. There

Buddhism is peaceful. There has never been a war in its name.

BUT
Its also misogynistic (women can't be buddhas) and anti-human (sex is evil!!!11!!!11).

It also has a terrible hell call Avici (literally without remission) where those with bad karma are tortured in various ways.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
yup. i love seizures . so

yup. i love seizures . so much fun to watch