Bless you

Toxicat
Toxicat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bless you

The weather here is getting colder and with the season change, people at my school are either suffering from allerigies (me!) or getting sick. My question is, why do people still say "bless you" when someone sneezes? Sometimes I feel like I should, otherwise it would be rude of me not to. Do you still say it?

Lucretius
Lucretius's picture
User is offlineOffline
Excuse you suffices. I

"Excuse you" suffices for me when someone sneezes. I don't really think the "bless you" has a religious connotation every time someone says it, it's just sort of like a catch phrase, kind of like when I stub my toe and yell "God #@&$)*#!" or "Jesus Christ!"

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Toxicat wrote:The weather

[quote=Toxicat]The weather here is getting colder and with the season change, people at my school are either suffering from allerigies (me!) or getting sick. My question is, why do people still say "bless you" when someone sneezes? Sometimes I feel like I should, otherwise it would be rude of me not to. Do you still say it?[/quote]

How about Gesundheit?

It's German for "Good health." A good alternative, and you still sound pleasant.

adaypastdead
adaypastdead's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Bless you" emerged durring

"Bless you" emerged durring a time of extreme religious control, the dark ages, when it was said that whe you sneezed a demon would fly down your throat. so it does have a religious connatation. but Gesundheit is a good alternative to "bless you".

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
or 'prosit' latin for: be

or 'prosit'

latin for: be well

Lucretius
Lucretius's picture
User is offlineOffline
adaypastdead wrote:"Bless

[quote=adaypastdead]"Bless you" emerged durring a time of extreme religious control, the dark ages, when it was said that whe you sneezed a demon would fly down your throught. so it does have a religious connatation. but Gesundheit is a good alternative to "bless you".[/quote]

When I said "religious connotation" I didn't mean the background of the phrase; I meant that when people say it, they don't actively have to believe in any sort of supernatural entity; it's just a phrase that has caught on — if I were to say "Bless you", it wouldn't mean that I really want someone to bless you, it's just how one has learned to say excuse me in regards to a sneeze.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Yeah the saying has lost any

Yeah the saying has lost any religious meaning to most. I guess sorta like "god!!!", "god damn it", "godamn", "gadamn", or any other slurs with god in it.

However Sapinet's suggestion is probably the best alternative.

But you know if you're around a bunch of people who like Seinfeld you could use "You're Sooooo good look’in".

Now if you want to have a little fun with people when they say "Bless You" respond with "Well that’s good I was excommunicated last week".

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
I way "bless you"

I way "bless you" sometimes... its just a visceral reaction for me...Though I sometimes say "salud" which is spanish for health.

It doesn't really matter to me though.

Bashh
Bashh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I say it just because it's

I say it just because it's polite now, plus it's just like christmas, in which there's not much religious to it anymore. Plus think about it most people say 'bleshcu' now anyways slurring the words into one. Sometimes I do use the german alternative though, just cause german is a fun language.

cbenard
cbenard's picture
User is offlineOffline
When someone sneezes around

When someone sneezes around me, I like to take the religious part to the extreme. I always say:
"Bless you, my child, for you have sinned against God and the holy spirit."

I get weird looks the first time, but people get used to it. Sometimes, I switch it out with:
"May the lord have mercy upon your soul, before you die this wretched and eternal death in hell."

Then again, I'm a little deranged. I used to say those things before I considered myself an atheist.

Brian37
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a personal bugaboo

This is a personal bugaboo for me. I dont mind hearing others say it to others. I just think it is rude to say it to a non-believer. To me it would be like asking a Jew or Muslim if they'd like a pork chop or a Hindu if they want a burger.

Just say to me, "You ok?"

Nothing wrong with expressing concern, but if you are freinds with someone, you should understand that they may not hold the same beliefs or partake in the same traditions.

That is not to say that I am politically correct. That is a different topic all together. I am adressing people you call "friend" in your daily personal life.

For example, when I went to a friend's wedding, or to a loved one's funeral, since it was their day and not mine, I did not bring up deity belief at such a personal moument.

I don't care if Christians pray for me. But if prayer works, it shouldn't matter weither they tell me or not.

I'm not going to jump down a Christian friend's throat if I hear them say that to someone else. Just do me a favor, if you pray for me, just remember you dont have to say it to me, just do it without saying it.

Same to me with "bless you". I don't need the air(spirit) pushed back into my brain, regardless of your intent. Just say, "You ok?" and leave it at that.

Bashh
Bashh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I say that too sometimes,

I say that too sometimes, they sneeze and i'm like 'you alright man?' so yeah.

xerobebop
User is offlineOffline
A more appropriate question

A more appropriate question is this: who cares?
Nobody is pressing religion by saying "Bless you." The most they're pressing is being polite. I've heard people complain about the use of the term "Bless you," and it bugs me just as much as people who complain about "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays!"
In conclusion:
Bless you, and Merry Christmas.

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
Fortunately, here in Greece

Fortunately, here in Greece we say "Γείτσες" (Yee-tses), which means something like "Good Health". On Christmas and Easter, I just say "Χρόνια Πολλά" (Chronia Polla) which means, loosely translated, "live many years".

debaser
debaser's picture
User is offlineOffline
i've wondered this myself

i've wondered this myself after the subject was brought up two years ago by a girl whom i was friends with. i still say, "bless you" but only out of sheer politeness. if i say, "excuse you" i get weird looks. i like the idea of saying, "gesundheit" however, and will take up saying that as an alternative.

Bashh
Bashh's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's cause 'excuse you'

It's cause 'excuse you' seems rude, it's like what you tell people when they don't say 'excuse me' after burping or something. That's why you get weird looks and why I don't say it.

kris
User is offlineOffline
I always say Gesundheit. But

I always say Gesundheit. But like everyone else has said, "bless you" is used more just to be polite. And as a joke, my friend always says "Damn you!" when I sneeze.