Question for all the "Free Thinkers" out there

qcualum5
User is offlineOffline
Question for all the "Free Thinkers" out there

--There is one question I have. The reasons for christians to share their beliefs with people are clear. But what is the basis for athiests to reveal so much opposition (and alot of times anger) to a belief in God? Why are they so driven to prove to people that God doesn't exist? Is it a pride issue? They want to prove their intellectual superiority by trying to convince people that there is no God? Or is it every athiest looks at the big picture, and visualizes a better world without hatred, fighting, and death caused by religion? Not all wars are holy wars. Not all murders and hatred stem from radical religious beliefs. In fact, not alot of it does. Even if there were no religions, all that would still happen. So that can't be it. What is the purpose? And that general "to free the minds of those suppressed by fear of religion" excuse is a load of crap, so don't even try to use that. Why should athiests care if someone believes in God, which, by the way, Christianity seems to be the biggest target for athiests.... So what is it?

Oh, and another question.. Could someone explain specifically what it means to be a "Free Thinker"?

Hrkman
User is offlineOffline
It is impossible for me to

It is impossible for me to speak for all Atheists, for unlike religion, they are not united under a common banner with common causes and goals. I myself personally do not feel that Atheists are too encroaching on the beliefs of others. It is more so defense against those attempting to force such their beliefs upon us. There is no real drive to convince people except when they feel they have to try and convince you, and then you are simply put in the position where you have to defend your lack of belief in a god, whatever the reasoning is for that.

I do believe that most Atheists think that a world without religion would be more peaceful and less hate filled. Not all wars are holy wars, no, but a majority are. If you were to eliminate 80% of the wars that exist today, would you not want that? If you were to eliminate an entire country's ability to get away with stoning women to death for simple crimes, would you not want that? If you could have a world where religious extremists didn't shoot abortion doctors or fly planes into buildings, wouldn't you want that?

Another reason is to free the minds of people suppressed by religion. You say this excuse is total bullcrap, but give no reasoning to defend such claim besides a question. I truly feel that if someone is living with the mental disorder of belief, it is only fair to show them there are other opportunities. A large portion of the world don't even think about what's wrong with their beliefs, and can't picture a world without God(s). It's like you had vanilla ice cream all your life, never tasted chocolate, and someone offered it to you. You'd been told all your life to never like anything except vanilla, and to do otherwise you would be punished severely. Most people won't even touch the chocolate, even if it's offered to them, and that's called being closed minded. But sometimes, people actually do taste the chocolate and realize it's so much better than Vanilla.

Also, Atheists don't "target" any religion. Christianity is just the most popular religion in the United States, and the most impeding upon others. The Buddhists aren't trying to get Buddhism taught in school nearly as much as Christianity. Atheists in the UK usually take a greater disliking to Muslims because they are closer to that religion.

What motivates Christians to convert others again? I forgot, whether it was a threat or an award. That's all Christianity is based off of, isn't it? Threats and Rewards? It's like being a child forever...

a Free Thinker is usually used when talking about both Atheists and Agnostics, or anyone that is willing to doubt God, but it can also just be used for anyone that has an open mind about things.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
qcualum5 wrote:But what is

[quote=qcualum5]But what is the basis for athiests to reveal so much opposition (and alot of times anger) to a belief in God?[/quote]

Because religious belief is harmful. Crusades, witch hunts, anti-gay violence, pro-life fuckers, young kids being raised to believe they will burn for eternity if they refuse to believe in a sky-pixie, etc.

[quote]Why are they so driven to prove to people that God doesn't exist? Is it a pride issue? They want to prove their intellectual superiority by trying to convince people that there is no God?[/quote]

Bullshit. It's because religious belief is harmful. It's not the atheist who does that, it's the anti-theist. They aren't the same thing - there are plenty of passive atheists who don't give a damn to religious belief.

[quote]Or is it every athiest looks at the big picture, and visualizes a better world without hatred, fighting, and death caused by religion? Not all wars are holy wars. Not all murders and hatred stem from radical religious beliefs. In fact, not alot of it does. Even if there were no religions, all that would still happen. So that can't be it. What is the purpose?[/quote]

Religion has caused plenty of wars, though generally I find the State to be the bigger perpetrator of violence, which is why I am anti-State as well.

[quote]And that general "to free the minds of those suppressed by fear of religion" excuse is a load of crap, so don't even try to use that.[/quote]

If someone came up to you and told you he believed in the invisible King Kong monster on Jupiter, would you consider trying to get rid of his delusion "a load of crap"?

[quote]Why should athiests care if someone believes in God, which, by the way, Christianity seems to be the biggest target for athiests.... So what is it?[/quote]

Most of these atheist communities are based in North America where Christianity is the main religion. If Hinduism was dominant that would be the biggest target. Besides, most anti-theists do focus on other religions as well though not as much.

[quote]Oh, and another question.. Could someone explain specifically what it means to be a "Free Thinker"?[/quote]

A freethinker is anyone free of religious dogma and authority (in that sense, a deist would probably fit in too).

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline
Quote:There is one question

[quote]There is one question I have. The reasons for christians to share their beliefs with people are clear. But what is the basis for athiests to reveal so much opposition (and alot of times anger) to a belief in God? Why are they so driven to prove to people that God doesn't exist? Is it a pride issue? [/quote]

Thats what I call bias. Hm. Answer me why thiests bother? I'l will debate this, Im busy right now.

IGNORANCE IS POWER.

[quote]There is one question I have. The reasons for christians to share their beliefs with people are clear.[/quote]

I. Really? Do you really want to go there? Huh? Here's some Christians sharing their beliefs: Klu Klux Klan.

[quote]But what is the basis for athiests to reveal so much opposition (and alot of times anger) to a belief in God?[/quote]

II. I NEVER seen an athiest get mad because of religion.

[quote]Why are they so driven to prove to people that God doesn't exist?[/quote]

III. Theirs a drive? Can you proove that? I can proove not, go look at our forums, maybe you'll learn its not ALL ABOUT RELIGION.

IGNORNACE IS POWER.

[quote]Is it a pride issue? [/quote]

IV. What pride? Pride that I not have a religion?
I dont understand your question.

[quote]They want to prove their intellectual superiority by trying to convince people that there is no God?[/quote]
V. How can you say we do? Fine I'll say all Christians are converts... Im not converting you, Im answering your questions.

[quote]Or is it every athiest looks at the big picture, and visualizes a better world without hatred, fighting, and death caused by religion? Not all wars are holy wars.[/quote]
VI. Of all the things you said, the first correct thing. Yes not all wars are holy wars. But since their not ALL are, we'll just ingore them right? Hm. No.

[quote]Not all murders and hatred stem from radical religious beliefs. In fact, not alot of it does. [/quote] VII. Second Correct thing. But how many beileve in God? Yea, answer that... Even better pull up for me the percent of THEIST in JAIL to athiest.

[quote]Even if there were no religions, all that would still happen. So that can't be it. What is the purpose?[/quote]
VIII. The first part is right. But once again... YOU HAVE ONE LIFE. EVERY LIFE COUNTS, so why say it doesnt matter?

[quote] And that general "to free the minds of those suppressed by fear of religion" excuse is a load of crap, so don't even try to use that. Why should athiests care if someone believes in God, which, by the way, Christianity seems to be the biggest target for athiests.... So what is it?[/quote] IX. Heres my question... WHY JOIN THIS SITE AND ASK US WHY WE ATTACK THIEST, WHEN [b]YOU [/b]CAME HERE? Answer me that. Did we come to you? Do you know how many Chirstians are on FTTs compared to Islams and Hindus? Yea, think how many.

[quote]Oh, and another question.. Could someone explain specifically what it means to be a "Free Thinker"?[/quote]

X. Free-Thinking the process of thinking freely. Free Thought, not of a higher power. Understand? FreeThinking simply means the ability to think without someone telling you what to think and say. This power can be a President, Parent, Religion, etc.

XI. To sum up your debate... STUPIDITY IS POWER... And read my 2nd Sig if your still confused. And I honestly dont know why I spent my time debating you, your (I) not going to comment because you just want to say whatever you please but not stay for the rest of the outcome, WERE YOUR PROOVEN WRONG. or (II) Going to answer the questions that your child Bible can answer... Even better.

joey
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Thats what I call

[quote]Thats what I call bias. Hm. Answer me why thiests bother? I'l will debate this, Im busy right now.

IGNORANCE IS POWER.[/quote]

That's not a bias ... that's called a question. Theists share the gospel as a means to save their souls. He simply asked what the atheist purpose in combatting the gospel is. There is nothing to debate here.

[quote]I. Really? Do you really want to go there? Huh? Here's some Christians sharing their beliefs: Klu Klux Klan.[/quote]

As you would say: IGNORANCE IS POWER.

1) It's called the Ku Klux Klan.

2) The KU Klux Klan is a group of white supremacists that tries to justify their actions by hiding behind the Christian religion. The KKK used the fact that Christianity was widely accepted in America during the Civil War era to mask their actions and gain approval.

[quote]II. I NEVER seen an athiest get mad because of religion.[/quote]

Insulting qualifies as being angry.

[quote]III. Theirs a drive? Can you proove that? I can proove not, go look at our forums, maybe you'll learn its not ALL ABOUT RELIGION.

IGNORNACE IS POWER.[/quote]

Wow. This website is proof of the atheist drive to disprove Christianity. The fact that not every post is about Christianity proves nothing. The majority of this site does discuss religion.

[quote]IV. What pride? Pride that I not have a religion?
I dont understand your question.[/quote]

Wow, dude. This is getting ridiculous. Your points are pretty noncoherent. The question "Is it a pride issue?" is asking if you're debating only because you want to be right.

[quote]V. How can you say we do? Fine I'll say all Christians are converts... Im not converting you, Im answering your questions.[/quote]

You realize, of course, that you make absolutely no sense at all right? He asked you a question, he didn't make a statement. BTW just so you know this mark "?" means that the sentence is a question; this mark "." means the sentence is a statement.

[quote]VI. Of all the things you said, the first correct thing. Yes not all wars are holy wars. But since their not ALL are, we'll just ingore them right? Hm. No.[/quote]

Your grammar makes it hard to understand some of your points.

Of course Holy Wars should not be ignored. But the majority of wars are based over greed (a natural human fault) rather than religion.

[quote]VII. Second Correct thing. But how many beileve in God? Yea, answer that... Even better pull up for me the percent of THEIST in JAIL to athiest.[/quote]

Your points prove nothing at all, man. You might as well just give it up.

His point was that most crimes are not committed in the name of religion. Just because someone claims to believe in a god does not mean that they think he calls them to murder, etc.

[quote]VIII. The first part is right. But once again... YOU HAVE ONE LIFE. EVERY LIFE COUNTS, so why say it doesnt matter?[/quote]

That has nothing at all to do with what he said. Wow... just wow.

[quote]IX. Heres my question... WHY JOIN THIS SITE AND ASK US WHY WE ATTACK THIEST, WHEN YOU CAME HERE? Answer me that. Did we come to you? Do you know how many Chirstians are on FTTs compared to Islams and Hindus? Yea, think how many.[/quote]

1) It's spelled theist. And no, don't tell me it's a typo because you have done it more than once already.

2) The blasphemy challenge was what started all this, right? Why is it only against the Holy Spirit? If you speak out against Christianity, you're going to end up debating Christians. Not Muslims, not Hindus.

[quote]X. Free-Thinking the process of thinking freely. Free Thought, not of a higher power. Understand? FreeThinking simply means the ability to think without someone telling you what to think and say. This power can be a President, Parent, Religion, etc.[/quote]

No one truly thinks for themselves. Everybody gets at least a few of their thoughts and ideas from someone or something else. Christianity does not tell anyone what to think. It provides answers to questions that every human being has.

[quote]XI. To sum up your debate... STUPIDITY IS POWER... And read my 2nd Sig if your still confused. And I honestly dont know why I spent my time debating you, your (I) not going to comment because you just want to say whatever you please but not stay for the rest of the outcome, WERE YOUR PROOVEN WRONG. or (II) Going to answer the questions that your child Bible can answer... Even better.[/quote]

1) Your debate PROVED, not PROOVED, nothing. Your points lack content and your sentences aren't grammatically correct.

2) Stupidity is power? Ha. You make me laugh. This kid came here to ask questions, meaning he was interested in knowing what you believed, and yet you turn what should have been a civil debate into a mindless, incoherent rant.

Good for you.

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline
Quote:That's not a bias ...

[quote]That's not a bias ... [/quote] So saying athiest are bound to so much oppostion and alot of times anger is bais? Hm...

[quote]The KU Klux Klan is a group of white supremacists that tries to justify their actions by hiding behind the Christian religion. The KKK used the fact that Christianity was widely accepted in America during the Civil War era to mask their actions and gain approval.[/quote]

Hm. Wow, you know history. But if you say the purpose OF Christians is to share their beliefs, that means ALL. Course your so worried about my gammar...

[quote]Wow. This website is proof of the atheist drive to disprove Christianity. [/quote] Just because Im not Christian doesnt mean I dont mind Christians on the site.

[quote]The fact that not every post is about Christianity proves nothing. The majority of this site does discuss religion.[/quote] So Majority rules right? No. Majority doesnt matter on FTT, (example) almost 80% of people on these sites are atheist, does that make us an Athiest Site. No. Is America a Christian Nation. No.

[quote]You realize, of course, that you make absolutely no sense at all right? He asked you a question, he didn't make a statement. BTW just so you know this mark "?" means that the sentence is a question; this mark "." means the sentence is a statement.[/quote]

It would most likely make sense if you considered reading everything before jumping in to debate me. Lets see...

"They want to prove their intellectual superiority by trying to convince people that there is no God?" My answer "HOW CAN YOU SAY WE USE OUR INTELLGENCE TO TRY CONVINCE.... Thats like saying all Christian try to convert athiest." Can you read it now? I didnt right all of it because I was fairly busy.

[quote]His point was that most crimes are not committed in the name of religion. Just because someone claims to believe in a god does not mean that they think he calls them to murder, etc[/quote] Okay, and like I said before.. Do the crimes STILL MATTER? Yes, they do.

[quote]That has nothing at all to do with what he said. Wow... just wow.[/quote] Hmm.. Lets see. If you read were it said "it will still happen" he was talking about Holy Wars, which lead to... Death. And every human life is a precious one, since you have one. So does it matter if a single human dies from a religious cult? I hope it does matter to you. Do I have to teach you what matter means while Im at it?
[quote]
1) It's spelled theist. And no, don't tell me it's a typo because you have done it more than once already.[/quote]
Yes you are correct its spelled theist, Im used to the "i" before "e" I learned in grammar school, if you care to know. Since you like to correct me so...

[quote]2) The blasphemy challenge was what started all this, right? Why is it only against the Holy Spirit? If you speak out against Christianity, you're going to end up debating Christians. Not Muslims, not Hindus.[/quote]

The Challenge hasnt been around as long as RRS or FFT.

One of the unforgetable sins is to deny the Holy Spirit, thats why it was used for the Challenge.

[quote]It provides answers to questions that every human being has.[/quote]

Answers? Hm. Like what is God made of? Or Can God pick a rock so big...

[quote]Your debate PROVED, not PROOVED, nothing. Your points lack content and your sentences aren't grammatically correct.[/quote] Hm.. Why isnt that the tea pot calling the kettle black.. Double Negative.

[quote]Stupidity is power? Ha. You make me laugh. This kid came here to ask questions, meaning he was interested in knowing what you believed, and yet you turn what should have been a civil debate into a mindless, incoherent rant. [/quote]
Hm.. Really like when someone says "Why are they so driven to prove to people that God doesn't exist? Is it a pride issue? They want to prove their intellectual superiority by trying to convince people that there is no God?" That sounds more like a rant; ratherless to ask questions.

qcualum5
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I myself personally do

[quote]I myself personally do not feel that Atheists are too encroaching on the beliefs of others. It is more so defense against those attempting to force such their beliefs upon us.[/quote]

Oh ok. Well, I guess I just run into the wrong atheists. I know there are different types of atheists. Well there are also different types of Christians, (i.e. Baptists, Presbyterians, Non-Denoms, etc..) and they all present the Gospel in different ways. I'm sorry for those that appear to be forcing their beliefs on you. But, for me, sometimes even with a simple "So, do you believe in God?" is responded with a barrage of angry insults and remarks of how my God doesn't exist and how I am an idiot for believing He does.. Now, to me that sounds like forcing beliefs. Again, sry for generalizing atheists, but that is just an account of what I experience.

[quote]I do believe that most Atheists think that a world without religion would be more peaceful and less hate filled. Not all wars are holy wars, no, but a majority are. If you were to eliminate 80% of the wars that exist today, would you not want that?[/quote]

I would love to eliminate 80% of the world's wars. In fact, I would love for 100% of the world's wars to be eliminated.. But if u are aiming to eliminate majority of the world's wars, you are aiming to eliminate the wrong causes. Like Joey said, Majority of the wars in all of history have not been caused by religion. No, majority of history's wars hav been a product of, like Joey pointed out also, human weakness. Greed over land, money, resources.. Psychotics aiming for world domination... Yes, there are religious extremists, for example the shiites and sunnis, who slaughter each other because of their beliefs. But compared to other causes for war, religious causes are just few and far between. No, if you truly want a world with no violence, all the world has to do is live by Jesus' commandments to 1. Love God with everything you have, and 2. Love your neighbor as yourself.

[quote]Another reason is to free the minds of people suppressed by religion. You say this excuse is total bullcrap, but give no reasoning to defend such claim besides a question.[/quote]

Because this is basically the entire basis to my question. Why do you want so bad to try and make people believe there is no God? Ur saying that you just want people to try living a life without God? Thats it? Thats the reason behind things such as the blasphemy challenge, and countless heated debates, and on and on? Sorry, I just don't believe that

[quote]Also, Atheists don't "target" any religion. Christianity is just the most popular religion in the United States, and the most impeding upon others... Atheists in the UK usually take a greater disliking to Muslims because they are closer to that religion.[/quote]

You just contradicted yourself and furthered my point. Apparently atheists do target certain religions. Apparently its the religion that makes the most noise in a certain region. And I still stand by my claim that Christianity is the most targeted. The Internet is a worldwide application is it not? So was the Blasphemy Challenge not an invititation to the entire world?

[quote]It's like you had vanilla ice cream all your life, never tasted chocolate, and someone offered it to you. You'd been told all your life to never like anything except vanilla, and to do otherwise you would be punished severely. Most people won't even touch the chocolate, even if it's offered to them, and that's called being closed minded.[/quote]

I could say the exact same thing to atheists

[quote]What motivates Christians to convert others again? I forgot, whether it was a threat or an award. That's all Christianity is based off of, isn't it? Threats and Rewards? It's like being a child forever...[/quote]

Wow... No. (At the expense of sounding like I am forcing my beliefs, which is not what I am doing because I am not telling you to believe this, I am just telling you what I believe) What motivates Christians (again with the generalizing.. I'm gonna speak for Non-denoms) to share their beliefs is simply because God sent Jesus, His only Son, to die a brutal death on the cross and take all of the world's sin onto Him, which was so horrible that even God could not look upon Him at that moment. And that sign of love is what led me to get saved. We do not do good deeds or share our faith so we can get rewards. No. First, the reward of heaven is given to us the moment we truly accept Christ as our savior. We don't do good deeds or share our beliefs so we can be rewarded. Second, God gives us things that we ask Him for out of love. We dont need to do anything to receive His blessing. Threats? I don't threaten anybody. Now there is hell, but I don't threaten people into believing what I believe by saying they will go to hell if they don't. I believe I'm not going to hell because I accepted Christ as my savior. But sadly, there are people who do threaten people with hell. Idk what Christianity you have been learning about, but it definitely isn't my Christianity. I share my beliefs because God has done so much in my life, and I love Him, and I love my neighbors. Thats why I share my beliefs. Now, I shared what I believe, and what you believe is up to you. It's your choice, and I can't try and force you to make it. That would be forcing my beliefs onto you. Do what you will

qcualum5
User is offlineOffline
KCahill... Seriously. I did

KCahill... Seriously. I did not mean any offense by any of my questions. I was simply stating all of the possible reasons I could think of, and I wanted to know if any of them were true. But apparently you took offense to them, and for that I am sorry.

joey
User is offlineOffline
You actually repsonded! I'm

You actually repsonded! I'm suprised. Good for you.

[quote]So saying athiest are bound to so much oppostion and alot of times anger is bais? Hm...[/quote]

You didn't use the quote in its entirity. He didn't say anything. He merely asked a question. Wow...

[quote]Hm. Wow, you know history. But if you say the purpose OF Christians is to share their beliefs, that means ALL. Course your so worried about my gammar...[/quote]

The purpose of Christians is to spread the true gospel, not their interpretation of what it says. Don't generalize Christians according to people who don't even follow Christian principles.

BTW arguments are often discredited and overlooked because of poor grammar skills.

[quote]Just because Im not Christian doesnt mean I dont mind Christians on the site.[/quote]

You just said that you don't want Christians to be on this website.

If you meant to say that you don't mind Christians being on FTTs, then you should have worded your sentence in the following manner: "Just because Im not Christian doesn't mean I mind Christians being on the site."

[quote]So Majority rules right? No. Majority doesnt matter on FTT, (example) almost 80% of people on these sites are atheist, does that make us an Athiest Site. No. Is America a Christian Nation. No.[/quote]

The name of this site is freethinkingteens.com. As you defined it, a free thinker is someone who has thought free from a higher power. The name of the site indicates atheism. If I'm not mistaken, the site's founders, along with it's moderators/admins, are atheists. This means that FTTs is an atheistic website.

[quote]Hmm.. Lets see. If you read were it said "it will still happen" he was talking about Holy Wars, which lead to... Death. And every human life is a precious one, since you have one. So does it matter if a single human dies from a religious cult? I hope it does matter to you. Do I have to teach you what matter means while Im at it?[/quote]

Maybe you should learn how to read and stop putting words in his mouth. He never said that deaths caused by religious cults didn't matter. He was pointing out that not all death is caused by religion.

Do I need to teach you basic reading comprehension while I'm at it?

[quote]Yes you are correct its spelled theist, Im used to the "i" before "e" I learned in grammar school, if you care to know. Since you like to correct me so...[/quote]

I learned that rule in grammar school as well; however this situation is precisely why the teachers always tell you that it's not always true.

[quote]Answers? Hm. Like what is God made of? Or Can God pick a rock so big...[/quote]

1) What is God made of? Dumb question. SInce God transcends the universe, he is not material.

2) Can God pick a rock so big... - I've never heard of God going on a rock picking party. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Anyway... I believe the question you were trying to ask is "Can God make a rock so big that He can't pick it up?"

This is also a dumb question. God is supernatural and immaterial. He doesn't pick things up. Even if God was material, who says he had to be infinitely physically strong? God is perfect by nature; nowhere in the Bible is unlimited physical strength listed as a requirement in order to be perfect.

[quote]Hm.. Why isnt that the tea pot calling the kettle black.. Double Negative.[/quote]

That sentence is not a double negative.

I think you need to go back to that grammar school you mentioned earlier and slap all of your previous language teachers. You're making yourself appear foolish.

The clause that I separated from the rest of the sentence (",not PROOVED,") referred to your mispelling of the word PROVED. I was emphasizing your mistake. Good job.

[quote]Hm.. Really like when someone says "Why are they so driven to prove to people that God doesn't exist? Is it a pride issue? They want to prove their intellectual superiority by trying to convince people that there is no God?" That sounds more like a rant; ratherless to ask questions.[/quote]

THE [b]QUESTION MARK[/b] AT THE END OF THE SENTENCE MAKES THAT SENTENCE A [b]QUESTION[/b]. WOW!

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline
qcualum5 wrote:KCahill...

[quote=qcualum5]KCahill... Seriously. I did not mean any offense by any of my questions. I was simply stating all of the possible reasons I could think of, and I wanted to know if any of them were true. But apparently you took offense to them, and for that I am sorry. [/quote]

Understood. Sorry for any problems I have made.

Hrkman
User is offlineOffline
I thought a little more on

I thought a little more on the topic, and then saw this in my local paper.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/search/content/oh/story/opinions/columns/2008/02/03/ddn020308dl.html

That should be reason enough to be against religion. When it can cause otherwise mentally healthy people (I know, hard to believe that these people might actually be sane without religion) to commit such an atrocity at a sacred event to make a message about how much God hates Fags, even though it was the funeral of a straight US soldier, There is little you can do but feel hatred swell up. I personally try to deal with things rationally and peacefully, but reading that just gets me so pissed off. For Kansas to bring their religious zealotry in such a hateful form near my home city just sickens me...

joey
User is offlineOffline
You do realize of course

You do realize of course that these people are not normal in any way. Never is there a "God Hates Fags" protest at a funeral without it being related to Westboro Baptist Church. Don't generalize religion by something that a few people do.

Btw, their point is not only about fags ... it's about the fact that they believe god is punishing America for it's sins by killing soldiers in Iraq.

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline
joey wrote:You do realize of

[quote=joey]You do realize of course that these people are not normal in any way. Never is there a "God Hates Fags" protest at a funeral without it being related to Westboro Baptist Church. Don't generalize religion by something that a few people do.

Btw, their point is not only about fags ... it's about the fact that they believe god is punishing America for it's sins by killing soldiers in Iraq.[/quote]

Christian means Christ-like. Do these people appear Christ-like? I dont think his point was the generalization but to show how wide the spectrum is one religion. From Catholic and Orothdox, to Bapist and Witness, to K.K.K. and W.B.C.

shasocastris
User is offlineOffline
qcualum5 wrote:But what is

[quote=qcualum5]But what is the basis for athiests to reveal so much opposition (and alot of times anger) to a belief in God? Why are they so driven to prove to people that God doesn't exist?[/quote]

We are driven by the fact that we would like to see humanity released from a form of mass insanity. We are simply people that have no need for an invisible, supernatural big brother, because we have no fear of the cosmos. Many people of different religions have told me I will face oblivion when I die, a "second death", so to speak. I tell them I do not fear death, and they look at me funny, and stalk away. Atheists simply want a world in which an individual can live a life of their choosing, and die in peace. Religion, as much as it attempts to hide it, is focused on different ways of controlling people, through fear of hell, or rewards in heaven. Individual religious people may not directly threaten people with hell, but they do not have to. The religion itself threatens people with hell, eternal damnation, etc, if they do not believe in God. We see this as something to be eradicated. No one should be indoctrinated from birth to see the world only one way. I was not born an atheist. I became an atheist after viewing all the angles. And please don't say I've never experienced Christianity. I'm the most loyal member of my school's bible study group, just to see if Christianity had any substance whatsoever. It doesn't. It is full of hypocrisy, ignorance, hatred, and only the willingness to control people. I might read it as a historical text if it didn't have God mentioned every other word (but then that would be killing the point). Atheists are sick and tired of a world full of people trying to control others by any means, and religion, with help from the state, does this admirably. We want a world full of people who have true free will, who can think for themselves, and focus on the world now, to ensure that our species fully embraces the awesome potential of 3 billion years of evolution.

Cheers!

Kovash Tau'va!

per ardua ad astra

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."

-Salvor Hardin, Foundation