The Christian Ventriloquist

Glaswegian
Glaswegian's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Christian Ventriloquist

Lurking at the back of the Christian's mind is a terrible suspicion which must be blocked from his conscious awareness at all costs: namely, the suspicion that when he talks to Jesus he is only talking to [i][b]another part of himself[/b][/i]. The Christian's secret suspicion is correct. Let me explain...

When the Christian talks to Jesus he is really carrying out an internal dialogue with himself. That is, he splits one part of his self off, calls it 'Jesus', and then puts words into its mouth. The Christian's conversations with Jesus are really a form of religious ventriloquism: and deep down he knows this because, like every other ventriloquist's dummy, the Jesus dummy [i][b]never answers the Christian back[/b][/i]. The Christian must do its talking for it.

When the Christian talks to Jesus what he is actually doing is no different from what Norman Bates did in the film [i]Psycho[/i]. Norman kept the mother he loved and worshipped 'alive' by pretending that one part of his personality was her. Thus, to make Jesus believable, to make this fantasy-figure seem real and plausible, the Christian's personality must undergo a form of schizophrenic splitting similar to Norman's in order to keep Jesus 'alive' in the fruit-cellar of his mind.

Another way to understand the Christian's 'relationship' with Jesus is to think of Jesus as the Christian's [i]imaginary play-friend[/i]. As is well known, many children invent an imaginary play-friend - a play-friend whom no one else can see - when they feel lonely, abandoned, vulnerable, troubled and when no one in the world seems to understand or care about them. In the eyes of the child, as is also well known, the imaginary play-friend can do anything and is always there to talk to, to listen, and to share worries, sorrows and joys with, and even to lend advice. But there is a difference between the imaginary play-friend invented by the child and the one the Christian has called 'Jesus'. And the difference is this - Whereas the child is extraordinarily creative with regard to his imaginary play-friend inasmuch as he fashions the latter's mind and character all by himself using his own inner resources, the Christian is not so creative since the mind and character of his imaginary play-friend come ready-made for him by his religion. Needless to say, when the child matures and grows more confident and secure in himself his imaginary play-friend disappears from his life. But the Christian remains dependent on his imaginary play-friend even as an adult and never emerges from his infantile fantasy until he abandons his religion.

The schizophrenic splitting of the personality which underpins the Christian's 'relationship' with Jesus also underpins the Muslim's 'relationship' with Allah, the Jew's 'relationship' with Jehovah, the Catholic's 'relationship' with the Virgin Mary, etc. - but here I'm telling the rational person something he already knows.

Regards

James

P-Dunn
P-Dunn's picture
User is offlineOffline
*snort* I'll wait for you to

*snort*

I'll wait for you to add substance to your arguments, and to address all the historical evidence pointing to Jesus' resurrection.

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
Although snort is a literal

Although snort is a literal recount of what happens, we should find a better word. It sounds a little silly.

Also, I think there is something to this. But research is always the next step. You know the scientific method.. ya, I am sure experimentation is in there somewhere. And before conclusion, too!

Sir-Think-A-Lot
Sir-Think-A-Lot's picture
User is offlineOffline
So,. what would you say to a

So,. what would you say to a Christian who doesnt buy the 'personal relationship with Jesus'(a product of modern indvidualism, not the Bible). And who's never had a conversation with him?

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir-Think-A-Lot wrote:So,.

[quote=Sir-Think-A-Lot]So,. what would you say to a Christian who doesnt buy the 'personal relationship with Jesus'(a product of modern indvidualism, not the Bible). And who's never had a conversation with him? [/quote]

I'd say he's slightly closer to rationality and sanity.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think that a distant

I think that a distant admiration of jesus is what most christians have. They believe that he will save them, but the whole personal aspect (even if they say it is not) is lost (not always... just much of the time).

patches
patches's picture
User is offlineOffline
most xians I know actually

most xians I know actually do suposedly have a personal relationship with Jesus. I use to when I was a catholic, but now in retrospect I can see that was just a conversation with myself. I wouldn't say a part of myself "broke off" or however he put it, but more of how you would practice a conversation with another person.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
I see a personal

I say a personal relationship is the difference between 'jesus, please bless my cat fluffy to not throw up hairballs so much' and 'lord, do thine will' (or is it thy?)

Sir-Think-A-Lot
User is offlineOffline
AgnosticAtheist1 wrote: I'd

[quote=AgnosticAtheist1]
I'd say he's slightly closer to rationality and sanity.
[/quote]

Why thank you although the question was directed at Glaswegian.

Sir-Think-A-Lot
User is offlineOffline
Guruite wrote:I say a

[quote=Guruite]I say a personal relationship is the difference between 'jesus, please bless my cat fluffy to not throw up hairballs so much' and 'lord, do thine will' (or is it thy?)[/quote]

You know that remindes me of something. A while ago my next door neighbor actually asked me if I would watch her cat when she got taken up in the rapture.

I always kinda wondered what made her think I wasnt going up with her.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:You know that remindes

[quote]You know that remindes me of something. A while ago my next door neighbor actually asked me if I would watch her cat when she got taken up in the rapture.

I always kinda wondered what made her think I wasnt going up with her.[/quote]

Hahahahaha There are so many things wrong with this,
no1 - she assumes yur not going
no2 - she assumes she is going
no3 - she assumes that her pet is not going
no4 - she assumes that you, her, and her pet will still be alive

hahaha - unless she was joking

Sir-Think-A-Lot
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Hahahahaha There are

[quote]Hahahahaha There are so many things wrong with this,
no1 - she assumes yur not going
no2 - she assumes she is going
no3 - she assumes that her pet is not going
no4 - she assumes that you, her, and her pet will still be alive

hahaha - unless she was joking[/quote]

Finally she assumes that there will be a 'rapture.'

Yea but I dont think she was joking, she always was kinda weird.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
No, There will be a rapture,

No, There will be a rapture, I know it

haha, my neighbor just blows his leaves into our yard... we don't really talk...