Moment Of Silence

DreamerGWB
DreamerGWB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Moment Of Silence

In a Myspace group I am in, Atheist and Agnostic Teens, there was a post by a young man who asked what Atheist are to do during a moment of silence at school. Many other teens replied that they would start laughing or some other bullshit, but I find it disrespectfull to have anything other than silence during this time. I feel it is more of a show of respect rather than prayer time, although some may use it for prayer. What are your views on the moment of silence? Do you feel as if it is a time for prayer or do you see it otherwise?

Ph8
Ph8's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm usually silent. There's

I'm usually silent. There's usually a pretty good reason for moments of silence, and I think it's disrespectful and immature to make noise when it is, indeed, only a moment.

Bloody_Cavum
Bloody_Cavum's picture
User is offlineOffline
a moment of silence is just

a moment of silence is just that -- "a moment of silence." It has no religious connotations. During moments of silence, I'm respectful and just sit or stand where I am. People who make noises or cackle or are otherwise interruptive are assholes. i don't give a damn if some one prays. Even if it's in school; that's their business, not mine. However, if I were in a classroom and the principal, over the intercom, said "we will now observe a one-minute minute of silence devoted to prayer and the love of or Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ," or some crap like that, then I would certainly protest, and actively so. most of those people that said they'd laugh or whatever are probably full of shit anyway; most people don't have the balls to do something like that either because of the attention it would likelydraw to them.

KimTheFaerieFreak
KimTheFaerieFreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
What does having a moment of

What does having a moment of silence, showing respect for those who died, have anything to do with religion. Sure, you can pray, you don't have to.

keasbynights241
keasbynights241's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think prayer needs

I don't think prayer needs to be associated with a moment of silence. Just like everyone has said, it's a sign of respect.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
september 11th i dont be

september 11th i dont be quiet for. everything else i understand too out of respect. but i think that if they dont stay quiet for all the other terrorist attacks, than it doesnt deserve it. It was a minor attack

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
They had those at my high

They had those at my high school everyday... I had no problem with it, but no one actually stayed silent (at least not in my class). We were too busy, our teacher just teached through it.

KimTheFaerieFreak
KimTheFaerieFreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greg wrote:september 11th i

[quote=Greg]september 11th i dont be quiet for. everything else i understand too out of respect. but i think that if they dont stay quiet for all the other terrorist attacks, than it doesnt deserve it. It was a minor attack[/quote]

I was always confused about that. If we have to shut up for September 11th why not other attacks. September 11th was a horrible day. I remember it exactally. I was in third grade. I was in the library when it happened and everyone kept getting picked up. At the end of the day there were 2 people other than me left in my class our of 30. I was really confused when i got home. My mum explained it, and also how they didn't know if my two uncles and my great-aunt survived it. They all did thankfully. But I should stay on topic. But if we're going to have it for that, why not for other terrorist attacks?

blood pig
blood pig's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah I'm quiet just out of

yeah I'm quiet just out of respect for all the others.

I almost geeked during the september 11th one at my school though. first someone made a hilarious noise..then someones phone went off

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I was quite most of the

I was quite most of the time, but once I started talking to this girl about something. I think it was about some dumb song people where playing while I was in sweep (I was late). Our teacher bitched at use, said some people use it. I never saw anyone in my school used it. If I wasn't braking the rules I was programing on my calc. Last year I made an "interactive buddy" type program, some pretty graphic programs, and a program that calculated a formula. Geeky, but at least I used a godamn waste of time. Come to think of it, I think it was time wasters like that which started my interest in programing, that and I had a crapy TI-83(not plus), no cable, and still wanted games...

GrapeScentedGuru
GrapeScentedGuru's picture
User is offlineOffline
Because 9/11 killed 3,000

We have a moment of silence because 9/11 killed 3,000 people, destroyed a monument of American life, and awoke a lot of people to the shit America has thrown down. It was an attack that destroyed more than a train in Madrid. It destroyed lives both literally, emotionally, and mentally. And if somebody dares laugh at that, whether American or otherwise, Athiest or Thiest, then they're worse than Al Queda and the American Foriegn Policy that provoked this attack combined.

When you laugh at death, yours or otherwise, you're not being brave, edgy, or even original. You're stripping yourself of all that makes you human, or even sentient, since even animals don't find death amusing.

DreamerGWB
DreamerGWB's picture
User is offlineOffline
I feel the moment of silence

I feel the moment of silence for 9/11 has little to do with those who died. To me, it's just the fact that something horrible happened inside America, somewhere that is considerably (sp) much more safer than any other country. Very few events of the proportion of 9/11 ever happen in America and I feel that's why it was such a big deal. A country many considered "invulnerable" was brought to it's knees by a single blow. Other countries have terrorist attacks so fucking often, people live in complete fear and are scared to continue their every day routines. These attacks may not be as large, but they have became so common that people are terrified to step out their doors. So why should 9/11 receive any more attention than these other countries? Yeah, it was horrible that so many people died and yes, I feel sorrow for them and their families, but I also feel just as much sorrow (if not more) for the people who are living in fear overseas. They are the ones who need the attention.

And, sorry if I have offended anyone. Before many of my posts, I always say "in my opinion" or something to that effect, so if you do get offended then just remember it is only my opinion and I am not saying how you feel or what you beleive is incorrect.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
people mourn it mainly

people mourn it mainly because it was full of "IMPORTANT" people, businessmen . the only reason people mourn N.O is because they wine.

blood pig
blood pig's picture
User is offlineOffline
"in respect for those who's

"in respect for those who's lives were taken in the tragedy, we'll now have a moment of silence"
That's what the chick on the anouncements said.

GrapeScentedGuru
User is offlineOffline
I doubt anybody mourns the

I doubt anybody mourns the death of specifically businessmen. That's a little OTT.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
There is a difference

There is a difference between having something for people who died and having a waste of time everyday. Personally I think there are more important thing we could be doing and better ways to honor the dead then being quite for a few mins, but I would be quite for a 9/11 thing. However like I said when I was in high school they had one everyday for no real reason. I think it made the whole thing cheap to the school. In my mind the importance of any of it has been lost in the pointlessness of it being there everyday.

Lets say we have a it every day during the year for a min...

176(number of days of school for this year, I counted) * 1 min = 176 mins

176 mins = 2 hr and 56 min

I'm pretty sure its longer then a min too...

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
That is why i entirely

That is why i entirely ignore the quiet part.

AcidPrince
AcidPrince's picture
User is offlineOffline
hmm

i agree, unless it is explicitly stated that the moment of silence is to be associated with prayer, it doesn't really bother me.

AcidPrince
AcidPrince's picture
User is offlineOffline
personal

Hmm, I was going to put this in a PM but I am too lazy to PM all of you so....

I guess I'm coming from the other side of things considering I was in the subway terminal WHEN the first plane hit that morning. I remember because we were told to get off the train b/c of an electrical problem, so me and my buddy walked up to the lobby and we were told by security that everything was fine and to go back down. Oddly enough, we were able to reboard the train just before the second plane hit and I didn't actually find out until I got home two hours later. The curse of being underground the whole way home. It also happened to be my best friends birthday, he was turning 14 and his mom worked security. She was working a double that day and wouldn't be home until 4 oclock that afternoon, so he went to see her. He passed that day. I don't give two fucking shits about the business men in that tower. I lost alot of close peopl in that attack and it was far from what you would call a "minor attack".

However you do have a right to your opinion and I respect that, I am simply sharing mine.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I think the people that were

I think the people that were comparing 9/11 to other attacks because those attacks didn't get the same respact or taboo lable as 9/11 did. Also I thought this was about having a quite time everyday. Like I said I guess people can use a moment of silence to honor the dead of an event, but I think there are better ways to do it from taking action to talking about the event or people involved.

blood pig
blood pig's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry to hear about

Sorry to hear about that.
But I agree. Maybe even if it's a little seminar or something..We watched a video about it in history. It was news clips from that day. I thought that was way cooler than a moment of silence. Plus it reminds you a lot more of what happened, that it isn't just this little thing.

GrapeScentedGuru
User is offlineOffline
My respects and condolences

My respects and condolences to you, AcidPrince.

DreamerGWB
DreamerGWB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, same here as just

Yeah, same here as just above Acid.

And this moment of silence thread has became all about 9/11. What about a moment of silence for the innocent killed in Afghanistan or Iraq? Do they deserve the moment of silence? I beleive they do, since WE are the ones who fucking killed them.

AcidPrince
AcidPrince's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree completely. They do

I agree completely. They do deserve a moment of silence. In my opinion, every single injustice in this world deserves a moment of silence. HOWEVER, that moment should, in no way shape or form, be pressed upon another. Each and every person has their own moments of silences for different tragedies, and once people realise that those moments are being taken, they should be respected.

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unless we're talking

Unless we're talking infinitely small moments, we'd never talk.

Nick
User is offlineOffline
I would remain scilent.

I would remain scilent. Might as well let them have their peace. Don't really care for being beat up anyway.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you honestly must break

If you honestly must break the peace, then do it with a nice debate on how they are not really sorry at all, or at least the average person is not i would think. Or that if they are sorry it is out of greed

Shikaku
User is offlineOffline
It has nothing to do with

It has nothing to do with prayer unless you make it all that matters is what it stands for in your mind

Maverick
Maverick's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am tired, so I am sorry if I say something someone said.

This isn't religous, it is political.
I dont stay silent, because I cant respect how our government attacked our own twin towers. (among other towers, I think seven were harmed during the attacks.)

Last time they called for a moment of silence I rocked out "The Man I Killed" by NoFX. (About killing George Bush)

Shikaku
User is offlineOffline
Maverick wrote:This isn't

[quote=Maverick]This isn't religous, it is political.
I dont stay silent, because I cant respect how our government attacked our own twin towers. (among other towers, I think seven were harmed during the attacks.)

Last time they called for a moment of silence I rocked out "The Man I Killed" by NoFX. (About killing George Bush)[/quote]
True i personally belive that our country feared that the people were starting to belive that we didnt need our government so they regained controll and gained the love of most for saving us in our time of need by stopping the evil al-quida

Here Check this out http://loosechange.com

Bashh
Bashh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I stayed silent. It's just

I stayed silent. It's just respectful. The moment is there to allow you to reflect or pray or meditate or anything if you wish to. I stay silent to respect those that wish to pray or meditate. I usually just daydream of something I'd like to do, usually build something.

Vamp
User is offlineOffline
Nobody definitely knows that

Nobody definitely knows that our Govt crashed into the towers or the pentagon, and if they DID the FBI and CIA would cover it up nicely, and we wouldn't have all this bullshit about our govt crashing planes, I don't honestly think that any govt would purposely kill their citizens (In this day and time, in a modern country...not in the middle east.) Find me some definite evidence, not films, which someone could edit and what not Easily, then I'll believe that our govt crashed into the tower on purpose, how would the plane in Penn state have crashed? Not everyone would have gone along with the ploy. So until we get some definite evidence, at least acknowledge it could have been either or, Personally I believe it was Al-Quaida, because of what happened in Britain, I don't honestly think the Brits would kill any of their citizens (And I feel more strongly about the Brits govt than about ours...) Sorry but it gets me a bit riled up when someone says our govt killed OUR people on purpose, they're not some holy can't-do-a-thing-wrong but they ARE people, and there's not but a few people that can be that cruel to their own countrymen. (One last thing, if I ever, EVER find out that the govt definitely did that, and I'm sittin here talkin for the heck of it, I won't be in this country much after that.) I'm not tryin to offend anyone, just...saying what I think on this issue...As for the moment of silence, I say why not? This country has freedom of religion, though, so people's religious beliefs can't be but so...impeded? (Once again, sorry if I offend anyone, even though I probably will.)

Kyzer
Kyzer's picture
User is offlineOffline
people would make noises

people would make noises during the moment of silence in middle school, usually people have grown up from then, hopefully.

Its a very immature thing to do, i don't see a problem for staying quite for 1 min. Give me a break.

Vamp
User is offlineOffline
Right...after seeing the

Right...after seeing the Jesus Camp video, I take back EVERYTHING I said...Since I saw that I don't give a flying fuck about this country...its problems aren't my problems anymore...I'm movin to northern Canada or somethin, Maybe Alaska, because it's so isolated...and away from religious bigoted idiotic fools...and people in general...I think I will move to Canada now...my mom and stepdad lives up there so I got until 21 to decide...heh...

Maverick
Maverick's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lmao, I was going to debate you, but since you have seen the light I gues it's pointless.

If your curious about evidence about 9/11 google Stephen Jones, I attended one of his seminars concerning this subject, he is brilliant.

Kyzer
Kyzer's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vamp wrote:Right...after

[quote=Vamp]Right...after seeing the Jesus Camp video, I take back EVERYTHING I said...Since I saw that I don't give a flying fuck about this country...its problems aren't my problems anymore...I'm movin to northern Canada or somethin, Maybe Alaska, because it's so isolated...and away from religious bigoted idiotic fools...and people in general...I think I will move to Canada now...my mom and stepdad lives up there so I got until 21 to decide...heh...[/quote]

Yay!

You have seen the light!

Because i'm moving to Canada too ;-)

Shikaku
User is offlineOffline
Kyzer wrote:Vamp

[quote=Kyzer][quote=Vamp]Right...after seeing the Jesus Camp video, I take back EVERYTHING I said...Since I saw that I don't give a flying fuck about this country...its problems aren't my problems anymore...I'm movin to northern Canada or somethin, Maybe Alaska, because it's so isolated...and away from religious bigoted idiotic fools...and people in general...I think I will move to Canada now...my mom and stepdad lives up there so I got until 21 to decide...heh...[/quote]

Yay!

You have seen the light!

Because i'm moving to Canada too ;-)[/quote]
YAYNESS now yall can help me burn down america!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Viva-La-Canadia

Kyzer
Kyzer's picture
User is offlineOffline
errr...can we get in trouble

errr...can we get in trouble by the government for this..

well...just in case..

I'm am not responsible for what might occur for this comment.

YAY! BURN DOWN AMERICA!! VIVA-LA-CANADIA!

Vamp
User is offlineOffline
Well...I read some of his

Well...I read some of his stuff...not all of it...but enough for it to be rather obvious that charges were placed, if a plane would've knocked it over, it would've tilted and fell...not straight down...So maybe the govt did have somethin to do with it...(Probably...) I'm movin to Canada, Viva La Canadia!

Maverick
Maverick's picture
User is offlineOffline

Yeah, he's a smart guy. He got fired from BYU for this whole thing. Bastards.

Shikaku
User is offlineOffline
YAYNESS

Canada here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...VIVA-LA-CANADIA

Nitro
Nitro's picture
User is offlineOffline
For them.

When the moment of silence comes up, I don't think it has much to do with religion as much as remembering the men and women who died for you to have the [i]right[/i] to think whether or not you should be silent during this time.

Maverick
Maverick's picture
User is offlineOffline

LMAO!

You're kidding right?

The Iraqi's wouldn't take over America, Nay, they COULDN'T take over America.

Shikaku
User is offlineOffline
and that is the main idea

and that is the main idea behind my belief of the gov. causing it

Kian
Kian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sure, move to Canada, just

Sure, move to Canada, just don't bring any of your backwards American thinking up here wtih you. ...(If you mush, move to alberta. bwa ha.)

As for the moment of silence, respect... its been said a zillion times in this thread, and I agree. I too am silent for 9/11, because it was a horrible, horrible tregedy, so when people want to take a moment to remember that, I oblige... I know people that lost uncles, and bother's in the twin towers. So, it's again, just with respect. Just as I would participate for a moment of silence like any suidice bombing in Iraq, or where ever, when people lose lives over political stupidities, it's heart breaking

and who said they were in grade 3 when the twin towers hit?!? Oh my. I was in grade 10... that makes me feel old.

Shikaku
User is offlineOffline
Kian wrote:Sure, move to

[quote=Kian]Sure, move to Canada, just don't bring any of your backwards American thinking up here wtih you. ...(If you mush, move to alberta. bwa ha.)

As for the moment of silence, respect... its been said a zillion times in this thread, and I agree. I too am silent for 9/11, because it was a horrible, horrible tregedy, so when people want to take a moment to remember that, I oblige... I know people that lost uncles, and bother's in the twin towers. So, it's again, just with respect. Just as I would participate for a moment of silence like any suidice bombing in Iraq, or where ever, when people lose lives over political stupidities, it's heart breaking

and who said they were in grade 3 when the twin towers hit?!? Oh my. I was in grade 10... that makes me feel old.[/quote]
Thats why we are moving, to escape all that backwards american thinking BULLSHIT
VIVA-LA-CANADIA

Shikaku
User is offlineOffline
Kian wrote:Sure, move to

[quote=Kian]Sure, move to Canada, just don't bring any of your backwards American thinking up here wtih you. ...(If you mush, move to alberta. bwa ha.)

and who said they were in grade 3 when the twin towers hit?!? Oh my. I was in grade 10... that makes me feel old.[/quote]
Thats why we are moving, to escape all that backwards american thinking BULLSHIT
VIVA-LA-CANADIA

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
We realize that. Iraq wasn't

We realize that. Iraq wasn't involved. This was about terrorists, causing terror. That's what terrorists do.