the "great flood" and the holocaust any comparison's?

Aaron1212
Aaron1212's picture
User is offlineOffline
the "great flood" and the holocaust any comparison's?
i was at work today and i had a conversation with a waitress(i'm a grillcook at a restaurant). to get to the point she had brought up the story of the great flood in the bible i had told her about my opposition to the story that there are far to many species  of animals on earth to be placed on a boat. not only that they all could not eat eachother and since it was 40 days you would need food for all of the animals. after i has said that she told me in an angry tone "well alot of people dont belive that the holocaust happend either but it did". can someone tell me what the story of the "great flood" and the holocaust have in common? it seems insaine to me to even say something like that.

butterbattle
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Aaron1212 wrote:i had told

[quote=Aaron1212]i had told her about my opposition to the story that there are far to many species  of animals on earth to be placed on a boat. not only that they all could not eat eachother and since it was 40 days you would need food for all of the animals.[/quote]

Also,

1) Most of the freshwater or saltwater fish, along with many other aquatic animals would have died in such an environment.

2) What about viruses, fungi, bacteria, plants, etc?

3) Where did the water come from? Where did it go? 

[quote]after i has said that she told me in an angry tone "well alot of people dont belive that the holocaust happend either but it did".[/quote]

I think this is creative compilation of several fallacies, including Argumentum ad populum and begging the question.

For the first fallacy, a lot of people thought the world was flat, but that doesn't mean it is.

For the second, she's already assuming that the Flood occurred as one of the premises for her response.

The waitress's line of logic can be summed up with, "Well, a lot of people deny the Holocaust and it happened. Therefore, even though people deny the Flood, it could still have happened." While this is true, she didn't actually address your question, "How did the animals fit onto the Ark? She completely dodged the topic being discussed.

[quote]can someone tell me what the story of the "great flood" and the holocaust have in common?[/quote]

The waitress doesn't know anything about either event.

[quote]it seems insaine to me to even say something like that.[/quote]

And you would be correct.

[/quote] 

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones." -Marcus Aurelius

Aaron1212
Aaron1212's picture
User is offlineOffline
i had a chance to talk to

i had a chance to talk to her later on and explain why useing a comaprion like that was very wroung, not only wroung insulting to jewish people. I also explained to her the fact that i understand her feelings on religious subjects are strong(i could have pointed out that being a falacy as well) and i explained to her why she has to think that such things in the realm of reality are impossible. One thing i did notice when researching this story for a sunday school project when i was a little kid was that no other society has a story of a great flood, if a flood had covered the entire world wouldent u think every culture on earth would have a story like it?

p.s. i got kicked out of sunday school shortly after for challengeing to many things in the bible and causing classmates to 'think unpure thoughts".

butterbattle
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:p.s. i got kicked out

[quote]p.s. i got kicked out of sunday school shortly after for challengeing to many things in the bible and causing classmates to 'think unpure thoughts".[/quote]

Wow, I'm sorry about your plight with all the stupid people. 

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Oh wow. You got kicked out?
Oh wow. You got kicked out? I was pretty outspoken against government in both my economics and AP Government classes my senior year, and nothing like that happened, my economics teacher actually supported my spreading ideas that were antithetical to the course syllabus. Heh...I always got away with that kind of stuff. [quote]no other society has a story of a great flood, if a flood had covered the entire world wouldent u think every culture on earth would have a story like it?[/quote] Actually, lot of folktales DO have similarities to each other (Illiad/Odyssey from Greece and the Ramayana from India have a very similar plot), but it's more due to cultural interaction and one common story that diverged into many different versions across cultures, than there being an actual global flood. [url=http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/flood-myths.html]Flood Stories from Around the World[/url]

Aaron1212
Aaron1212's picture
User is offlineOffline
in my u.s. history and

in my u.s. history and history of warfare class i had a teacher that was really great so i could talk about almost anything. He actually encouraged me to read books like the Isreal lobby to get a better understanding of american foreign or lack there of. i do understand now that there are a few refrences to the great flood but some of the storys were very obscure. i never noticed a great flood story in the illiad or the odyssey? as far as the Ramayana goes ill have to look into that more. ohh and before i continue to trail off subject yea i was kicked out when i was a little kid i was a "questioner" of about everything. it annoyed my parents as well as there youth minister who never wanted me to come back still to this day i do not belive a story like the great flood is possible on planet earth thier would be more evidence? and what about the grand canyon? "creation scientists" say that the grand canyon was formed by the great flood in a matter of weeks. real scientists on the other hand argue that the water would have to be moveing at around speed of light to move that much rock out of the way even without doing the work to figure how fast the water would be going or how much time it would need anyone with common sense can see that it is still impossible for something even as massive as a "great flood" to form a canyon in a few day's. from there we get to noah's boat i dont care what any logic anyone can come up with it is IMPOSSIBLE to get 2 of each animals on earth in a boat plus the food for all of them for 40 nights and 40 days. a friend of mine who happens to be an evangelical christian says "well maybe there wasnt that many anumals back then after the great flood more evolved over time". to which i replied first you don't belive in evolution or you only choose to belive in it in a way in which it benefit's you, secondly evolution can take up to millions of years i dont really think its possible for millions of new species of animals just to pop up within a few thousand years. this is the argument that got me kicked out and the argument i still belive in to this day. i wasnt an athiest back then but it happend almost as soon as i hit the age of reason which for me was about 13 years old.

mig_killer2
User is offlineOffline
lots of people died?

lots of people died?