I need help

shasocastris
User is offlineOffline
I need help

Hey guys, what's up?

So I have an article I want to write about why in the past years, atheists have been, in my opinion, defending atheism more, and bashing religion. When I mean bashing, I mean that we have been getting more and more organized, and people like us are beginning to arm themselves to topple religion, like with 'The God Delusion'.

What I would like is your opinion on why Atheists are on the offensive, after being passive for so long. I do this just so I don't have only my opinions in this essay, which I would like to submit to the RRS after it's been finalized.

Cheers!

per ardua ad astra

Kovash Tau'va!

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline
I never thought of a
I never thought of a religious battle. Theism versus Atheism. Its kinda like most Atheist have grown in numbers (you can see that on any chart). Since we live in a country that allows us the ability to speak, atheist begin to explain their thoughts.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
I'd say it's because of the
I'd say it's because of the religious right banning issues like gay marriage, abortion, stem cell research, etc. I'm sure there are others but I'm way too exhausted to think much now.

shasocastris
User is offlineOffline
My first thoughts on the

My first thoughts on the subject was that we are basically sick of the abuse that they have perpetrated against us and humanity in general. If hadn't been for the burning of the Library of Alexandria, the dark ages would've never happened, and we'd be colonizing the Solar System, if not the stars. Religion has been the base cause of the vast majority of wars in the world, from the crusades to 9/11. Religion has been at the forefront of opposing scientific research. My view on this is that religion sees the threat that science poses to its sovereignty. Science is a process that allows anyone, not just a select few (disciples of God, priests, etc), to understand the world around. This is a threat that religion so far has been able to deal with, via divide and conquer. The problem religion now faces is our ability to organize over the internet, and thus it can't repress us.

I also think, as Noor said, that atheists have finally got fed up with the bullshit religion tries to force on society. What I'm really surprised is how far we've come in such a short time. The internet is the real miracle of the modern age.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Kovash Tau'va!

per ardua ad astra

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."

-Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Angel K
Angel K's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's not much to say that
There's not much to say that people haven't already said much more eloquently on this board before me, but personally, I think the times are changing and people are more willing to be open and honest about their beliefs. Atheism has always been a bit taboo, its just something that wasn't really brought up but now, with all thats going on in the world, (war, economic recession, ect) its encreasingly important to get the message out, to have people thinking rationally. So I suppose we're coming out of the theological closet out of necessity.