Deism, is it a step towards atheism?

Bashh
Bashh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deism, is it a step towards atheism?

Deism elludes me. It prides itself on being rational and competent however it's first 'tenant' is that there is one true god. The sum of deism is that miracles, christ being god, and furthermore mythology is crap. Deism holds that nothing is supernatural and in this sense I find it's very inciteful. However the most glaringly obvious problem with deism is that it holds that God is self-evident, while deists demand proof for everything else. In this light I feel that deism is either atheism with the followers too scared to accept no god and no afterlife, or that it is at least a step towards atheism, killing off everything wicked in religion except for the largest concept; god. Everytime I argue that deism is just atheism with some confusion or dillusion people start to explain deism to me and tell me I'm wrong. I'd like to see if there's anyone who agrees with me on the subject because it bothers me that people that intellectual and intelligent would really still believe in mythology without the religion.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with Mr. Hickman.

I agree with Mr. Hickman. The idea of God diminishes the awsomeness of things (sometimes).

[quote]Jell- O and family, compassion and intellectual exploration, which are just as prevalent without religion. [/quote]

As funny as this sounds, Jello is not just as prevalent without religion... mormons are notorius for haveing a bunch of green jello (we have it at every big (sunday) meal) ... so for the LDS... jello is actually more prevalent than for most people (I think)

But the compassion and intellectual exploration are more prevalent without religion...

Haha, Green Jello with carrot shavings.. haha *shudders*