Deism, is it a step towards atheism?

Bashh
Bashh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deism, is it a step towards atheism?

Deism elludes me. It prides itself on being rational and competent however it's first 'tenant' is that there is one true god. The sum of deism is that miracles, christ being god, and furthermore mythology is crap. Deism holds that nothing is supernatural and in this sense I find it's very inciteful. However the most glaringly obvious problem with deism is that it holds that God is self-evident, while deists demand proof for everything else. In this light I feel that deism is either atheism with the followers too scared to accept no god and no afterlife, or that it is at least a step towards atheism, killing off everything wicked in religion except for the largest concept; god. Everytime I argue that deism is just atheism with some confusion or dillusion people start to explain deism to me and tell me I'm wrong. I'd like to see if there's anyone who agrees with me on the subject because it bothers me that people that intellectual and intelligent would really still believe in mythology without the religion.

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
Surely deism was the first

Surely deism was the first step toward atheism (the french revolutionaries were deists as well as some of the US forefathers), as it gave us a crappy explanation for the complexity of life. But when Darwin came... there goes Deism :) Creationists are basically arguing for a deistic universe. Even if a god created everything, why believe that it was the Christian one or that he cares about us? It's all pointless in the end...

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
It was a step towards

It was a step towards atheism for me. For some portion of my deism I was simply falling prey to an argument from ignorance fallacy coupled with the brainwashing from the majority of society that there was a god. In other words, I thought there was a god because I couldn't explain the cause of the big bang. Jake (asktheatheist.com) asked me to be honest with myself and recognize that I was simply making up a concpet I didn't understand in order to explain away a concept I didn't understand. So, in a desire to be honest with myself... I did [i]just that.[/i]

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Derevirn wrote:Surely deism

[quote=Derevirn]Surely deism was the first step toward atheism (the french revolutionaries were deists as well as some of the US forefathers), as it gave us a crappy explanation for the complexity of life. But when Darwin came... there goes Deism :) [/quote]

It's interesting to see you make that correlation because obviously deism still exists, however I've always thought that if some of our forefathers (Thomas Paine comes to mind) had the findings of todays scientists, they'd have been atheists.

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
I actually meant that Darwin

I actually meant that Darwin made atheism possible and yes I think Voltaire or Paine would probably be atheists today.

Bashh
Bashh's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's how I feel. I know

That's how I feel. I know deism does have it's own footing to stand on, however I feel a lot of deists really were just lacking the knowlege we have now to be full fledged atheists. I guess I'm just perturbed by any form of belief in a god, because that itself eludes me. I don't deny people believe, let alone full heartedly, I just don't understand why. I was raised catholic, and I have sympathy towards catholicism versus other christian sects because they are generally frowned apon by other christians; however I can't remember the last time I really believed that my talking to my ceiling was really talking to some higher being that can make everything better or worse.

But I digress...

I've always just felt that deism is the closest link to atheism in the theological relm, and a discussion on the enlightenment era in my history class just kinda compounded that, as many of my classmates said it was ironic that deism believes in god with no proof, yet denies other mysticism because of the lack thereof. I find it ironic as well.

insurgent
User is offlineOffline
Deism is not the first step

Deism is not the first step towards atheism, I believe. For one, I speculate atheism has existed for as long as theism has, which is to say, when any new idea is proposed there is always someone to think or believe in the opposite fashion.

Also, on a side note, it should be duly noted that not all atheists or freethinkers readily accept Darwin's theory of evolution, or any theory of evolution at that, as the one true explanation of our origins. Even though science is incorporated into our daily lives, not all are keen to it as one would think.

That being said...

If you study the beliefs of deists a little more closely you'll hopefully find, as I have, that deists are the intellectual equals of atheists; they're freethinkers as any educated atheist is.
I've discussed and debated with deists online and in person only to reach a stalemate numerous times. They think in the same logical manner as any other freethinker would. The only difference I have ever noticed is [b]they believe in a god[/b].

To say deists are a step away from atheism is a statement that screams 'condescending', they are our equals, I tell you. Talk with them, study the true nature of their belief, take one out to lunch (probably might be difficult seeing as how they're more a minority in America than atheists). They're simply another philosophy that stands, as was mentioned, on their own two feet.

Bashh
Bashh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I realize that they believe

I realize that they believe in a god. That belief is still unfounded, and that's my point in saying it's a step towards atheism if not atheism with the security blanket intact. I know it's an equal belief system, it just bewilders me that anyone THAT logical could still hold on to the illogical.

UltraWill
UltraWill's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deism could also be thought

Deism could also be thought of as a step away from Atheism.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
I think yes, deism is a step

I think yes, deism is a step towards atheism. The reason why the US forefathers, French philosophers, etc. were deists and not atheists, was because they didn't have any advanced space programs then, and they had to accept a god at least created the world. In the present day, thinking people are more likely to become atheists since we know a lot more about what happened in the beginning of the universe. Even a watchmaker-type god isn't needed to actually explain creation, at least to me.

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ultrawill has a good point.

Ultrawill has a good point. But I don't think it goes in that direction very often. I've heard of atheists becoming Christians, but not deists. Mostly due to the very small shift it requires and the intellectual intertia (resistance to accepting a new idea) will probably make such a small shift difficult to accept.

I see deism and atheism as almost equal. Neither are inherently absurd, neither are disprovable, both are rational (a deist friend of mine just had experiences in life that makes him believe something is out there). Except for deism claiming knowledge where agnostic atheism claims lack of knowledge, they're pretty much equal.

Deism and strong atheism are equals.

Whitecrow
Whitecrow's picture
User is offlineOffline
Except deism relies on the

Except deism relies on the argument from ignorance at times. And I think atheism and deist can be disproven- either by some good evidence of an active Christian deity or the active Christian deity revealing himself to all the world.

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know the Christian God is

I know the Christian God is a little less omnipotent than expected, but shouldn't they be the same thing? There are no unintended events if there is an omnipotent, active god. Even if only active for a short time.

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deism still falls into the

Deism still falls into the weakminded attitude of A) avoiding finding natural causes/ascribing the 'magic' card and B) not obeying Ockham's Razor

gosh, seems like every argument I've posted in the last 5 days has an A) and a B)

domakesaythink
User is offlineOffline
I don't think deism is

I don't think deism is either or, it's merely you believe in a higher being, it can go either way towards or away from atheism, such as an atheist believing that there must be some higher being but not a Abrahamic god

Bashh
Bashh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I understand what deism is,

I understand what deism is, this is just a debate on whether or not it's a step away from theism towards atheism.

domakesaythink
User is offlineOffline
Bashh wrote:I understand

[quote=Bashh]I understand what deism is, this is just a debate on whether or not it's a step away from theism towards atheism.[/quote]Well i'm sure you know what it is, but it isn't a step towards away or towars atheism, depends on the situation

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Also, deists are atheistic

Also, deists are atheistic towards a personal god. Giving up a personal god, to me, is a step towards atheism, even if the next step is believing in a watchmaker god.

domakesaythink
User is offlineOffline
But Atheism is without God

But Atheism is without God correct? Deism is just without personal god, so not really saying it's a step towards or away because they can be atheist but turn deist. Lets put it like this, Some christian(point 1) goes to deism (point 5) yes it is a step towards atheism, but if an atheist(point 10) goes to deism(point 5) then they are going away to atheism, but in most situations i guess so, but it can be either or.

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't consider deism

I wouldn't consider deism halfway between atheism and fundamentalism. I'd put it more like this.

1 - Fundamentalist suicidal nut
2 - Fundamentalist suicide-advocating nut
3 - Fundamentalist nut
4 - Fundamentalist
5 - Mild fundamentalist
6 - Moderate
7 - Kinda believer
8 - Deism
9 - I don't know what god is, but he's there.
10 - Atheism

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
As good as I could eye- ball

As good as I could eye- ball it, but fundies are all very similar.

AgnosticAtheist1
User is offlineOffline
domakesaythink wrote:But

[quote=domakesaythink]But Atheism is without God correct? Deism is just without personal god, so not really saying it's a step towards or away because they can be atheist but turn deist. Lets put it like this, Some christian(point 1) goes to deism (point 5) yes it is a step towards atheism, but if an atheist(point 10) goes to deism(point 5) then they are going away to atheism, but in most situations i guess so, but it can be either or. [/quote]

yes, and when I jump up, I'm actually pushing the earth down. The point being that deism is better than theism, but not as good as atheism

Noor
User is offlineOffline
I'd rate it something like

I'd rate it something like this

10 - Fundie evangelical nut
9 - Fundie
8 - Mild fundamentalist
7 - Moderate believer
6 - Deist
5 - Agnostic theist
4 - Firm agnostic (believes it's impossible to know)
3 - Agnostic atheist
2 - Mild atheist (doesn't believe there is a god, but doesn't oppose belief)
1 - Explicit and active atheist

domakesaythink
User is offlineOffline
AgnosticAtheist1

[quote=AgnosticAtheist1][quote=domakesaythink]But Atheism is without God correct? Deism is just without personal god, so not really saying it's a step towards or away because they can be atheist but turn deist. Lets put it like this, Some christian(point 1) goes to deism (point 5) yes it is a step towards atheism, but if an atheist(point 10) goes to deism(point 5) then they are going away to atheism, but in most situations i guess so, but it can be either or. [/quote]

yes, and when I jump up, I'm actually pushing the earth down. The point being that deism is better than theism, but not as good as atheism
[/quote]
Better in your opinion correct?
And that was not the point, read the topic it said if it was a step towards atheism not if it was better then theism or worse then atheism, then you may make sarcastic replies =\

I'm just saying.

AgnosticAtheist1
User is offlineOffline
Well yes, I do believe

Well yes, I do believe atheism to be better than theism, and thus, a step towards atheism, by default, is better.

However, that was not the point. The point was that it was both better than theism, yet worse than atheism(aka, in between the two)

domakesaythink
User is offlineOffline
AgnosticAtheist1 wrote:Well

[quote=AgnosticAtheist1]Well yes, I do believe atheism to be better than theism, and thus, a step towards atheism, by default, is better.

However, that was not the point. The point was that it was both better than theism, yet worse than atheism(aka, in between the two)[/quote] But what if an atheist is turning to a deist was my point.

"Deism, is it a step towards atheism?" I'm pretty sure that was the point of this topic and what i'm trying to explain.

AgnosticAtheist1
User is offlineOffline
"that it is at least a step

"that it is at least a step towards atheism, killing off everything wicked in religion except for the largest concept; god"

It is in this context, a step towards atheism

P-Dunn
P-Dunn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, it was a step away

Well, it was a step [i]away[/i] from atheism for Anthony Flew, if that means anything.

~P-Dunn

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think that they mean from

I think that they mean from a religious standpoint and as a general trend. I beleve that it is a step towards modernism... fundementalist religious people have an "old" world view... deism is more open to Ideas (I have never heard of a Deist suicide bomber... and i personally think that more important than a step towards atheism is a step towards nonviolence

Sir-Think-A-Lot
Sir-Think-A-Lot's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bashh wrote:I realize that

[quote=Bashh]I realize that they believe in a god. That belief is still unfounded.[/quote]

How do you know their belief in God is unfounded? Most deists believe in God because they think there is reason to do so(usually it falls down to the arguemnt from beauty/complexity/first cause). Their reasons may not seem sufficent to you, but thats far from them being 'unfounded.'

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
I beleve he means unfounded

I beleve he means unfounded in physical evidence.

There is no real physical evidence for god... that dosent mean that he dosent exist... just that you must have faith to beleve in him (more faith than a belef in a chair... you cant sense god with you 5 (or is it 6 now) senses)

Sir-Think-A-Lot
User is offlineOffline
Guruite wrote:I beleve he

[quote=Guruite]I beleve he means unfounded in physical evidence.[/quote]

But why do we need physical to determine the existance of something? Why not philosophicial? Or historical? There are many paths to finding truth.

[quote]There is no real physical evidence for god... that dosent mean that he dosent exist... just that you must have faith to beleve in him (more faith than a belef in a chair... you cant sense god with you 5 (or is it 6 now) senses)[/quote]

By that token you also need 'faith' to believe in George Washington. Or that you love your family.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:But why do we need

[quote]But why do we need physical to determine the existance of something? Why not philosophicial? Or historical? There are many paths to finding truth. [/quote]

Historical is many times physical (if we can verify evidance to prove th historical)

Name one thing besides god that you beleve in that has no physical evidance (god includes jesus and miracles... supernatural phemominon and such religious ideas)

No, George washington was real. We have evidance for his existance. And as for my family? I love them... I have evidance of that... I have my emotions (in this case they are evidance and my actions)

Sir-Think-A-Lot
User is offlineOffline
Guruite wrote:Name one thing

[quote=Guruite]Name one thing besides god that you beleve in that has no physical evidance (god includes jesus and miracles... supernatural phemominon and such religious ideas)[/quote]

How bout that I exist? Or that an external world exists?

[quote]And as for my family? I love them... I have evidance of that... I have my emotions (in this case they are evidance [/quote]

So since when do emotions qualify as physical evidence.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:How bout that I exist?

[quote]How bout that I exist? Or that an external world exists?[/quote]

Uh huh, Ya and I guess you find basic sensory information on the same level as a testimony

[quote]So since when do emotions qualify as physical evidence[/quote]

When it is the actual emotion being tested. This is like saying does faith in god exist... well ya and the way to prove it is by showing someone who has faith in god - same goes for emotions

Neither mean anything about the party that is supposedly receiving the emotion or faith.. only that the faith or emotion exist.

Sir-Think-A-Lot
User is offlineOffline
Guruite wrote:Uh huh, Ya and

[quote=Guruite]Uh huh, Ya and I guess you find basic sensory information on the same level as a testimony[/quote]

Not sure what your point is here. In general, I'd say yes if the testimony comes from a credible source. In fact I'd say the vast majority of what I know(and I'm willing to bet the vast majority of what you know) comes from the testimony of others, and not from things I'v seen or done first hand.

My point was that you cant provide physical evidence that the world you see before you, or even your own thoughts and feelings, isnt an illusion. Entire worldviews(especially in the Eastern tradition) have been built on this assumption. And philosophical debates on the issue have been going on for centuries. But it remains something that cant be physically proven. But if you think you can, well then I'd love to see you try.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:My point was that you

[quote]My point was that you cant provide physical evidence that the world you see before you, or even your own thoughts and feelings, isnt an illusion.[/quote]

Thank you for stating an obvious... however we all choose to live like we can. Everyone accepts that reality is reality. They just use that argument fo cast dobt when you tell them that there is no evidance for god. Look, I can kick a chair - If i could kick god then I would beleve in Him

[quote] I'd say yes if the testimony comes from a credible source.[/quote]

So if a crediable source tells you something you will beleve it even if there is no evidance for it? That is no basis for making judgements (if a crediable source tells you that tim the neighbor is possessed by satan and god wants you to kill him would you beleve it (and what do you consider a crediable source... what you are saying is that if reality exists then all I need is ONe crediable source (no evidence) to base my life on))

[quote]Entire worldviews(especially in the Eastern tradition) have been built on this assumption[/quote]

Everyone lives as if you can... You dodge if a cup is thrown at you... even you cant prove that the cup dosent exist...

[quote]But if you think you can, well then I'd love to see you try.[/quote]

WTF?! Of course I cant prove a negative. Look, I think that there would be no reason to dobt my senses (it does not help the world at all... it adds no value.. and for all intents and purposes everything behaves as if My senses are real so i have no reason to doubt them... this is not the case with unicorns or fairies)

You are saying that if reality exists then it is just as proable that god does... this is wrong - you cannot sense god and even though your sensed could hypothetically be fooled they serve purposes enough.

God is on the exact same level as unicorns that are paticularly adept at hiding themselves (that we havent found yet) - why dont you beleve in them?

People have testimonies of unicorns (we have animated series aobut them - we have an english teacher in my school that claims to have seen them and fairies)

It makes just as much sense that unicorns are god's wives as it does that god created the universe. (god needed company after all)

[quote]But it remains something that cant be physically proven.[/quote]

I think you mean absolutely proven, physically proven means that you sense it... i can sense reality therefore i can physicaly prove it (my senses could be screwed up but I would have proved it to myself... just not absolutely)

However God has no physical proof, just stories, testimonies, and some abstract logic that has holes (and a buttload of people)

And BTW as far as I am concerned you are mostly a-thingie you dont beleve in goblins gremlins, leprechauns, unicorns, gnomes, pixies, dragons - all have just as much proof as god

AgnosticAtheist1
User is offlineOffline
Of course you can prove a

Of course you can prove a negative. For example, no square circles exist. If we can show the qualities of a specific god to be contradictory, we can prove it doesn't exist as people believe in it. The only god we can't do this for is one with no qualities, and if something has no qualities... it's kinda hard to distinguish it from nothing.

Sir-Think-A-Lot
User is offlineOffline
Guruite wrote:So if a

[quote=Guruite]So if a crediable source tells you something you will beleve it even if there is no evidance for it? [/quote]

Explain what you mean by 'evidence.'

Last I checked a credible testimony IS evidence. If thats not the case then our courts are wasteing a lot of time bringing in witnesses. Most of our work studying history is a waste too(since the vast majority of what we know about history comes from the written testimony of people who were there)

[quote]if a crediable source tells you that tim the neighbor is possessed by satan and god wants you to kill him would you beleve it[/quote]

I'd certainly be going to see my neighbor, and might even be inclined to bring my Colt Single Action Army with me.

[quote]and what do you consider a crediable source.[/quote]

Someone I trust, has no reason to lie, preferably has proven trustworthy in the past. If their making a claim in a speclised area(ex. science or history) It helps if they work in the given area, ex. a historian tells me Jesus was definetly a historical figure, some else(not a historian) tells me he was not. I believe the historian.

melchisedec
melchisedec's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir-Think-A-Lot

[quote=Sir-Think-A-Lot]

Explain what you mean by 'evidence.'

Last I checked a credible testimony IS evidence. If thats not the case then our courts are wasteing a lot of time bringing in witnesses. Most of our work studying history is a waste too(since the vast majority of what we know about history comes from the written testimony of people who were there)
[/quote]

Credible being the point of contention. I don't believe it is wrong to question an account that is replete with supernatural, mystical events. It is without a doubt that there is ofcourse a historical significance relating to the gospels. But one must keep in mind this to be true from the Koran to the Pali Canon. History acknowledges the accounts of antiquity but makes little effort to hold true what appears to be folklore and embellishments.

Sir-Think-A-Lot
User is offlineOffline
melchisedec wrote:Credible

[quote=melchisedec]Credible being the point of contention. I don't believe it is wrong to question an account that is replete with supernatural, mystical events. It is without a doubt that there is ofcourse a historical significance relating to the gospels. But one must keep in mind this to be true from the Koran to the Pali Canon. History acknowledges the accounts of antiquity but makes little effort to hold true what appears to be folklore and embellishments.[/quote]

And here's where I differ from you. I dont reject a given claim simply because it involves 'supernatural' events(a term I dislike btw). Rather I look at the credibility of the person(s) making the claim.

To use the Koran as an example. I believe Muhamad probably did see the visions recorded in there, and may or may not have seen Jerusalem in one of them. What I reject is that what he saw was a genuine communication from God. And do so because of the lack of evidence that he was a prophet, and the fact that the miricules he allegedly performed wernt recorded until centuries after the fact.

melchisedec
melchisedec's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir-Think-A-Lot wrote:

[quote=Sir-Think-A-Lot]
And here's where I differ from you. I dont reject a given claim simply because it involves 'supernatural' events(a term I dislike btw). Rather I look at the credibility of the person(s) making the claim.
[/quote]

Considering the OT was passed down through oral tradition and many centuries passed before it was laid to paper. I would ask how would one determine credibility for anonymous writers? Are we giving collective credibility in this case? In regards to mystical events in the gospels, I treat those claims much the same as similar fantastic
accounts from a variety of sources. While I'd like to believe some of those mystical events happened, I cannot in reason do so.

Even with all we know, we still open ourselves to accept claims of miracles, psychic powers, alien abductions, and so on. This allows charlatans like Sylvia Brown to exploit people in believing she is contacting their loves ones from the grave and make a good penny doing so. Or Benny Hinn to convince thousands of people of his miraculous powers of healing, and they sadly refusing medical treatment. The fact is, that all these mystical claims can never withstand the scrutiny when investigated. But regardless of this fact, people still want to believe..

[quote]
To use the Koran as an example. I believe Muhamad probably did see the visions recorded in there, and may or may not have seen Jerusalem in one of them. What I reject is that what he saw was a genuine communication from God. And do so because of the lack of evidence that he was a prophet, and the fact that the miricules he allegedly performed wernt recorded until centuries after the fact. [/quote]

Well you forget that Muslims feel Mohammed was the miracle. As far as the Koran being written centuries later, this is not uncommon in history. The OT was primarily an oral tradition for centuries, and while there exist much debate on the NT, some feel that there was atleast a century before Matthew was written. In regards to Mohammed, I wonder how you can determine that the visions Mohammed witness were false?

Sir-Think-A-Lot
User is offlineOffline
melchisedec

[quote=melchisedec]
Considering the OT was passed down through oral tradition and many centuries passed before it was laid to paper. I would ask how would one determine credibility for an anonymous writer? Are we giving collective credibility in this case? [/quote]

I'd say that knowing the identity of an author isnt absolutely necessary to determine his credibility(although it helps a lot). In regards to the OT I see no reason to believe that the authors(whoever they were) were writing fiction or grossly misrepresenting the facts(to the point of fabriction or lieing). I'd add that if the only reason you have for doubting it is becacsue of the 'fantastic' claims. You might want to re-evaulate how you examine such claims.

Also, its clear that Jesus, the NT authors, and the early church saw the OT as credible. So there is prescident here as well.

[quote]In regards to mystical events in the gospels, I treat those claims much the same as similar fantastic
accounts from a variety of sources. [/quote]

So do I, the only difference is I also treat them the same as I would any other claim.

[quote]while there exist much debate on the NT, some feel that there was atleast a century before Matthew was written. [/quote]

Yes and credible historians put Matthew/Mark(there is some debate as to which came first) at 70 AD at the latest. Wit the rest of the Gospels being completed by 100 AD.

Some actually place Matthew and Mark in the early 60's Luke in the late 60's and John in the 70's

[quote]In regards to Mohammed, I wonder how you can determine that the visions Mohammed witness were false? [/quote]

I dont. I think he probably did see the things recorded in the Koran.

melchisedec
melchisedec's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir-Think-A-Lot wrote:

[quote=Sir-Think-A-Lot]

I'd say that knowing the identity of an author isnt absolutely necessary to determine his credibility(although it helps a lot). In regards to the OT I see no reason to believe that the authors(whoever they were) were writing fiction or grossly misrepresenting the facts(to the point of fabriction or lieing).
[/quote]

So how does one determine what is credible and what is not? The claims in OT compared to the claims of the followers of Buddha, or Zoroaster?

[quote]
I'd add that if the only reason you have for doubting it is becacsue of the 'fantastic' claims. You might want to re-evaulate how you examine such claims.
[/quote]

Thats part of it yes, but not simply based on the claims themselves but the fact that those claims cannot withstand scrutiny. Noah's flood is a perfect example. The story should have plenty of evidence to support, if we are to consider that the whole earth was covered in water, but as we know from the geological record that was not the case. Or the many civilizations that were unaffected throughout the period in which the flood should have been in place. This just being a few examples of why this story has been thoroughly debunked.

[quote]Also, its clear that Jesus, the NT authors, and the early church saw the OT as credible. So there is prescident here as well.
[/quote]

But you have to account also that the criterion for evidence was not as strong in those days. The demands for evidence were different in those times, you can read Origen's refutation of Celsus and find that many of the questions we asked today were not brought up in those days. People accepted claims of the mystical variety far easier.

[quote]
Yes and credible historians put Matthew/Mark(there is some debate as to which came first) at 70 AD at the latest. Wit the rest of the Gospels being completed by 100 AD.

Some actually place Matthew and Mark in the early 60's Luke in the late 60's and John in the 70's
[/quote]

I know the RCC uses a more liberal dating schemes.

[quote]
I dont. I think he probably did see the things recorded in the Koran.
[/quote]

So was he truthful at all in his claims,?

Sir-Think-A-Lot
User is offlineOffline
melchisedec wrote:So how

[quote=melchisedec]So how does one determine what is credible and what is not? The claims in OT compared to the claims of the followers of Buddha, or Zoroaster?
[/quote]

The same we we determine the credibility of other claims. Do we have reason to suspect these people would fabricate things? How close is the writing to the events it describes? Generally earlier is better. In the case of one claiming a divine mission do they offer anything to substantiate their claims? If Someone claimes to be a prophet but performes no miricules, makes no prophecies ect. Then their status as a prophet is questionable.

[quote]Thats part of it yes, but not simply based on the claims themselves but the fact that those claims cannot withstand scrutiny. Noah's flood is a perfect example. The story should have plenty of evidence to support, if we are to consider that the whole earth was covered in water, but as we know from the geological record that was not the case. Or the many civilizations that were unaffected throughout the period in which the flood should have been in place. This just being a few examples of why this story has been thoroughly debunked.[/quote]

Or it could be that the story referes to a massive, but not global flood. Interestingly the Hebrew word used in Genesis for 'whole earth' actually translates as 'whole land' which may suggest a non-global flood.

Although to be quite honest I dislike this subject because its not particularly relevent to the truth of Christianity(or lack thereof) so dont be surprised if I dont respond on this issue further.

[quote]I know the RCC uses a more liberal dating schemes.[/quote]

I know the RCC adheres to the Matthew/Mark were post-temple destruction thesis. But they still hold to all of all of them being completed by 100 AD.

[quote]So was he truthful at all in his claims,?[/quote]

Insofar as he actually saw the things he said he saw. Probably. Although the only person who would know for absolute certain would be Muhamad himself.

melchisedec
melchisedec's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: The same we we

[quote]
The same we we determine the credibility of other claims. Do we have reason to suspect these people would fabricate things?
[/quote]

Exactly, why would people make up the Buddha and everything therein. Or Islam, or scientology (ok, I know thats a strecth :P ).

[quote]
How close is the writing to the events it describes? Generally earlier is better.
[/quote]

While its hard to truly determine when the OT was written, it is believed that it was almost purely an oral tradition for several hundred years. One appologist refutation of the Epic of Gilgamesh and why Noah's flood is nearly identical in account and yet Gilgmesh predates it, is that the oral tradition existed for so long. Hence Gilgamesh was actually based off the Ark oral tradition. This ofcourse is hardly verified, but the point being is that an oral tradition existed for centuries before it was actually written down. So my question to you is, does this discredit the OT since the events described and the writing of it were so far apart, why, why not?

[quote]
In the case of one claiming a divine mission do they offer anything to substantiate their claims? If Someone claimes to be a prophet but performes no miricules, makes no prophecies ect. Then their status as a prophet is questionable.
[/quote]

It is common knowledge that during the time of Jesus many other 'prophets' were going around preaching and performing miracles. And yes, people would attest to these miracles. Wasn't it not John the baptist who was highly skeptical of Jesus at first, was looking for a bigger than life figure to outshadow some of the other 'prophets' on the scene. Miracles and prophecies are not new to Christianity and can be found from Zoroaster to Buddha.

[quote]

Or it could be that the story referes to a massive, but not global flood. Interestingly the Hebrew word used in Genesis for 'whole earth' actually translates as 'whole land' which may suggest a non-global flood.

Although to be quite honest I dislike this subject because its not particularly relevent to the truth of Christianity(or lack thereof) so dont be surprised if I dont respond on this issue further.
[/quote]

Yes, the only viable theory these days is a localized flood but that is a view not shared by the majority. However I think this to be an important aspect of Christianity. Because shortly after this, was it not God who made a covenent with Abraham? The story and what happens subsequently affirms the fact that Christ was the messiah, so I don't see why you would pick and choose. Would the tower of babel be equally unimportant? Or how about the exodus, there is zero corrobrative proof of this but the account is exceedingly relevant to Christianity.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Yes, the only viable

[quote]Yes, the only viable theory these days is a localized flood but that is a view not shared by the majority[/quote]

Unfortunatly, were not really dealing with the majority... every christian has some take on the bible... some like to pick and choose what to beleve because it helps them keep their trust in the bible

[quote]is exceedingly relevant to Christianity.[/quote]

I like your use of exceedingly (sounds scriptural... dunno if that was the effect you were going for but :) )

Sir-Think-A-Lot
User is offlineOffline
melchisedec wrote:Exactly,

[quote=melchisedec]Exactly, why would people make up the Buddha and everything therein. Or Islam, or scientology (ok, I know thats a strecth :P ).[/quote]

And I have no probelm believeing the Buddah existed and probably did say many of the things attributed to him(although with regard to Buddah it can be tricky since there is a LOT of later legends surrounding him). Or that Muhamad saw the 'visions' he claimed to see.

[quote]
It is common knowledge that during the time of Jesus many other 'prophets' were going around preaching and performing miracles. And yes, people would attest to these miracles. [/quote]

Mind giving me a name of one such 'prophet?' And what sort of miricules they supposidly performed.

[quote]Wasn't it not John the baptist who was highly skeptical of Jesus at first, was looking for a bigger than life figure to outshadow some of the other 'prophets' on the scene. [/quote]

No, John the Baptist was slightly skeptical of Jesus, but the Bible never gives any reason why.

[quote]Miracles and prophecies are not new to Christianity and can be found from Zoroaster to Buddha. [/quote]

And found only centuries after they suppoedly happend. In the case of Buddah he never even claimed a divine mission for himself. That notion was added later, and his miracle claims later still.

[quote]However I think this to be an important aspect of Christianity. Because shortly after this, was it not God who made a covenent with Abraham? [/quote]

No it was centuries between the two events.

[quote]The story and what happens subsequently affirms the fact that Christ was the messiah, so I don't see why you would pick and choose.[/quote]

Exactly how does the flood story affirm Christ's status as the Messiah?

Also I dont 'pick and choose' what I believe. I simply discuss the issues find woth discussing. I hold little interest in any discussion of the Biblical account of creation/the flood, and know of much more qualified people who've already debated both subjects ad nausism. So I dont bother with the issues.

[quote]Would the tower of babel be equally unimportant? Or how about the exodus, there is zero corrobrative proof of this but the account is exceedingly relevant to Christianity.[/quote]

Yep you see Christianity ultimately rests on Christ(hence the name CHRISTianity), and in particular his deth and ressurection.

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think this comes down to

I think this comes down to the 'not literally true' ordeal. If there is no reason to fabricate things, then obviously false stories such as the later part of Genesis or Tower of Babel must be allegories. So which parts are allegory, and which parts aren't? Many religious people I know believe the story of Jesus was purely allegorical. This is a respectable position, as these people don't concern themselves with literal truth, they only seek to find good messages. Not to say any other position isn't respectable (except perhaps scientology...).

I Have A Clever Name
User is offlineOffline
Deism is a product of a

Deism is a product of a period where the universe was perceived to be mechanistic, that is to say governed by unbreakable natural laws. This 'order' was taken by many to be proof of rational design, a sentiment that was very popular prior to Darwin. The Bible was largely contrary to the moral ideas and of the Enlightenment thinkers, however, and so Deism was for a while taken to be a very rational position among the educated elite.

These days we live in an age where the existence of complex life is readily explainable via natural selection and scientific 'laws' are viewed to be probabilistic due to the rise of quantum physics. As a result such a stance doesn't seem have much basis - the universe doesn't really seem to be designed at all. So yeah, for many today I guess deism is a compromise. It gives a sense of rationality and plausibility, yet also provides sense of comfort and innate purpose that religion bestows.

But you've got to remember some people do see 'purpose', 'order' and 'beauty' in the universe around them today - that might influence their thinking. A sunset, a breath-taking landscape or a flock of birds darting around in the sky, all of these things can trigger emotional responses profoundly and perhaps directly lead somebody to the conclusion that there is some kind of personal force behind it all.

It might irritate you, but polite debate focusing on the reasoning behind Deism is the best option - just accusing people of taking up watered down atheism isn't productive.

(mini-essay alert)

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
Provides a sense of comfort?

Provides a sense of comfort? I contend that a book which shows nearly every good person's life ruined would not bestow much comfort. I am comforted by other things, like Jell- O and family, compassion and intellectual exploration, which are just as prevalent without religion.

As for purpose, why should a purpose given to you be considered to as valuable as one you choose? I choose my purpose, and that makes it worth so much more.

I find pleasure in watching the sun set, sitting in the park on a nice day, or watching deer run through the wilderness in my backyard. But when has that become a point of debate? Why do things need to be made by a God to be beautiful?