the origin of the idea of a god/gods

hush
User is offlineOffline
the origin of the idea of a god/gods

i think the idea originated with the natural will to survive. you know death ineveitible but your will to survive is in dirrect confilct with that. how do you resolve that conflict? an afterlife of course

those are just my personal thoughts on it and im hoping to here how other people think the idea of a god came into existance

UltraWill
UltraWill's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not my personal belief, but

Not my personal belief, but in ancient times, it was just you and a VAST world of darkness (as in the undiscovered, not evil). The concept of an all knowing God was to them, a logical way of illuminating that darkness. That's why a lot of the time, God is reffered to as light, or the sun.

Whitecrow
Whitecrow's picture
User is offlineOffline
UltraWill wrote:Not my

[quote=UltraWill]Not my personal belief, but in ancient times, it was just you and a VAST world of darkness (as in the undiscovered, not evil). The concept of an all knowing God was to them, a logical way of illuminating that darkness. That's why a lot of the time, God is reffered to as light, or the sun. [/quote]

That would be only in many agricultural societies, most horticultural or foraging tend to be animalistic and that's where I believe religion comes from- from the human impulse to believe that everything has an intension, from rustling in the bushes to rocks, trees, rivers, and everything have intension, giving rise to spirits and belief in spirit worship, those spirits growing to become deities in themselves. In the case of Judaism it then went from polytheism to henotheism to finally monotheism in the sixth century BCE. I believe Pascal Boyer writes some good books about the origin of religion.