Aliens

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
Aliens

Well first off if someone comes here and says that other life forms other than what is on the planet earth dont exsist than they are ignorant bastards. But my question is do you guys think that in our life time we will make contact with other beings? I hope that there are other life forms in our solar system but i doubt it at this point, its been to long for the them not to contact us. But who knows. What do you guys think about it.

keasbynights241
keasbynights241's picture
User is offlineOffline
I watched a movie in earth

I watched a movie in earth science this year about aliens and contacting other life. It's taken us so long to cover such a small part of the universe. Our galaxy is so small in the whole scheme of things and we can't reach much farther out.

Traveling isn't an option because there becomes a time when the body can't handle that type of speed.

I'm not sure if we ever will reach other life forms, but I sure as hell believe in them. If there are a million stars (which are suns to other solar systems) for every grain of sand on this earth, we can't be alone.

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
Exactly my thought. Its a

Exactly my thought. Its a very ignorant thing to say that Earth has the only living beings in the whole universe.

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
Albert Einstein

Bryan

blood pig
blood pig's picture
User is offlineOffline
I totally agree. There HAS

I totally agree. There HAS to be other life out there.

I watched a nifty thing on the discovery channel about our future technology(sp?). They were saying they were to have two robots sent out, and a satelite in the atmosphere. The robots have minds of 4th graders and are given jobs to go around and collect information. That information is sent to the satellite..which sends it back to earth. And through the satellite they just keep updating the missions and inteligence of the machines. It was really interesting.

After awhile it got to the point where I kept forgetting that this never happened.

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yea i remember watching that

Yea i remember watching that as well. It was very odd because they made up a bunch of imaginary aliens to explain how the robots would interact with them. But i personly believe that when we do find life it will be more like our own then we think. They will have to of had some kind of system figured out if they are higher thinking beings. Towns, government maybe even there own religion who knows. Would be very interested to study alien religion though lol.

Albert Einstein

Bryan

Ph8
Ph8's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not decided on the whole

I'm not decided on the whole whether there is life in the Universe, but \if there is, we're not making contact in this life time. The universe is really, really, really big.

"We now know that the human animal is characterized by two great fears that other animals are protected from: the fear of life and the fear of death..."
-Ernest Becker

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
There has to be other life

There has to be other life forms out there. It would make no sense if there wasnt. The universe is bigger than the human mind can comprehend how would it be possible that in all that space and time there is no other living being?

Albert Einstein

Bryan

blood pig
blood pig's picture
User is offlineOffline
ha no kidding. I think that

ha no kidding. I think that they probably wouldn't look too much like us. I mean, looking at evolution, i'm sure they didn't evolve the EXACT same as us. Definitely possible, but seems unlikely.

My dad always jokingly saying that Earth is just this little ball, and that we're a test subject for a bigger planet/galaxy/universe/thing. And they're all staring at us with microscopes laughing at the human races stupidity.

Ph8
Ph8's picture
User is offlineOffline
eh

[quote=Bryan T]There has to be other life forms out there. It would make no sense if there wasnt. The universe is bigger than the human mind can comprehend how would it be possible that in all that space and time there is no other living being?

Albert Einstein

Bryan

[/quote]

Just checking to see if the quote thingy worked.

Consider the odds against life happening though. The planet needs to be the correct temperature for life, have water for life to develop from, have the correct atmosphere, and not get hit by some comet while life is devolving. That said, if pressed, I would probably say that there is other life out there. But if there was not, I would not be shocked, and it is certainly possible that we are alone.

"We now know that the human animal is characterized by two great fears that other animals are protected from: the fear of life and the fear of death..."
-Ernest Becker

Ph8
Ph8's picture
User is offlineOffline
Uh, big white box instead of

Uh, big white box instead of quote. Eh? Something I did wrong maybe? Or am I the only one seeing it?

-Ernest Becker

blood pig
blood pig's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's grey with white text so

It's grey with white text so hard to read.

but I disagree with your views completely. I understand what you're getting at, but if we got through it, so could anything else. Not to mention they'd be adapted to the planets atmosphere and so on. They'd adapt exactly how we adapted to Earth.

Bryan T
Bryan T's picture
User is offlineOffline
exactly, it would make no

exactly, it would make no sense that no other life form could not survive or adapt. I would not be surpirsed if there was a planet were everything was almost the same as earth.

Albert Einstein

Bryan

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
Even if there weren't, the

Even if there weren't, the life forms could adapt to a different environment than we are. Earth is not made to suit us, we evolved to suit earth.

-There is no sin save faith

GrapeScentedGuru
GrapeScentedGuru's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eventually, and I'm speaking

Eventually, and I'm speaking theoretically, we will contact an alien race.

Our television and radio signals don't stop in the atmosphere. They go on forever and ever, travelling the deep reccesses of space. In fact, the first episode of I Love Lucy should just be halfway to the Horsehead Nebula by now. So, with us listening for signals from space, and us beaming them out from our little rock, and a seemingly infinate universe, something has to hear us, right?

Problem is, if they tune in to war broadcasts and the like, will they want to reply?

keasbynights241
keasbynights241's picture
User is offlineOffline
Earth

[quote=AgnosticAtheist1]Even if there weren't, the life forms could adapt to a different environment than we are. Earth is not made to suit us, we evolved to suit earth.
[/quote]

I've had this argument with my father before because he says, "How do you explain the non-existence of God where we are on a planet the perfect temperature and the perfect distance from the sun to support human, animal, and plant life?" You can only ask this question presupposing the notion that the world was intended for us, not the other way around. If you think about it scientifically, we happened because of the earth's conditions. The earth didn't happen because one day it would be host to us.

If that makes sense.

"Touch nothing unclean and I shall receive you."

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I would have to agree life

I would have to agree life must be out there, however unless that life has a way to get here we probably won't see anything in our lifetime. Well maybe if we get lucking and point a probe in the right direction or something, but we haven’t seen a whole lot of evidence yet so it would be hard to figure out where to send it. Although by the time we figure out what direction to send it we would probably use AIs as we will probably have them and the AI doesn't need food or air to exist, lighter load FTW.

Noah
Noah's picture
User is offlineOffline
even if there are more life

even if there are more life forms out there i dont think we will be incontact with them anytime soon. and who's to say they will be more inteligent than us couldnt they just be somthing similar so say, a small squirel or something extreamly uninteligent i would say thats probably more likely than them being inteligent beings

rahulkghosh
rahulkghosh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of course

Of course there are extraterrestrials. I'm a supporter of the extra-terrestrial hypothesis, and believe the fact that we've been visited by at least one advanced civilization for quite some time. Many people have alluded to the visitation of extraterrestrials including: astronauts(numerous Russians and Americans), Former Defense Ministers(Canada and Britain), Former Presidents(Jimmy Carter and Harry Truman), along with numerous others from high positions in FAA and NASA.

I advise you check www.disclosureproject.com.

I don't know if we'll be able to have the day of 'first contact' during our lifetime. But certainly, it appears the the world is working towards there. It's all a question of when we will reach the point of accepting the existence of other civilizations visitng us.

debaser
debaser's picture
User is offlineOffline
i've always believed there

i've always believed there were aliens, ever since i was a small child. it would be absolutely ridiculous to think otherwise. unless our calculations as to how large the universe is are incorrect, you would have to be a complete dolt to say that we were unique.
what really gets me, though, is the thought of what other beings would look like. my earth and space teacher posed the question to me two years ago, "what if their appearance is completely unheard of and our brains are unable to process what we're seeing if we were to ever see an alien?" that just gets me.
although, personally, i dont think that we will be able to have open contact with them in our lifetime. but i do believe that we've been visited by them and they may have made an attempt to contact us, although we may never know since their technology/communications systems are most likely much different than our own.