Our Enviormental problems

adaypastdead
adaypastdead's picture
User is offlineOffline
Our Enviormental problems

There are many problems with the enviornment, all of which are major ones, the reality of the situation is that these problems, large or small, are adding up. The questions that we should be asking are what can we do to stop them, how can we reverse the changes at hand, and what laws should be passed to protect our future. Not much money is being given to research of enviormental problems. The oil companies and the overall patrolium industry has been absorbing the finite fossile fuels like water through a tap, but all wells dry, and oil reserves are no diferent. Reliance on fossile fuel is irrational. Our economy is based on something that cant be constanly produced. Also the ammount of greenhouse gasses are being expelled by everything, at large mass, every single day. What are we doing to reduce pollution? not too much, we continually cut down rainforests which restore our oxygen, and pollute our air with chemicals that can no longer be broken down by the trees. Were digging ourselves into a deep hole, and everyday we just dig our economic and overall all earthly grave, and why? Impact theory states that Impact is equal to the multiple of three things. these three things are the rooted cause of enviornmental disaster. Population growth:
It is common knowlage that in the last 50 years human population has more than doubled.
Affluence:
The ammount of consumable resources that the planet has to offer.
Technology:
A manner of accomplishing a task especially using technical processes, methods, or knowledge.
These three things together are what we gauge the destruction of our enviornment on. Human populations use resources to live. During life we create technology that also consumes planetary resources. As population increases the ammount of resources lost will increase. Also, with a grown population comes a growing advane age of technology. Not only do we require more resources to live, but we also need more to create and support our technology. From this we can draw the conclusion that technological advance is based on population, and enviormental problems are also based on population. With technological advance come better medicine. With people living longer there is a constant level of population growth. The people of the planet are not dying as fast as they are being born. If we want to continue to live on this planet we have to act now. We cannot go in moderately and slowly change. We have little time left. We cannot create a limit to the ammount of children that can be born by two parents, because that wouldcross amny cultural boundries, but that is one of the only options we have, if every family starting today could only bare one child, then in a few generations the population could hypethetically be cut in half

Sprinklesss
Sprinklesss's picture
User is offlineOffline
actually there's a lot of

actually there's a lot of evidence that jesus existed, but no evidence to say he was actually the son of any "god" and was resurrected. It's just weird because there's been a few people who lived right around the same time as Jesus and were supposed to have done the same things..but they arent famous. =P

athos
athos's picture
User is offlineOffline
currently ethanol is being

currently ethanol is being researched as a fuel source. also if you have a diesel engine car you can power it with cooking oil, not a joke. :D

-----------------------------------------------
Atheist in Texas, Please send help.

"Throw more dots, more dots, more dots, more dots... ok stop dots..."-guild leader Dives of Wipe Club
DOTS!!!!!!!

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Sprinklesss.... while there

Sprinklesss.... while there is evidence for Jesus, there isn't much good evidence. We recently did a show with a famous historian, he holds two masters degrees and is currently getting his doctorate. He's a genius, and can show for many reasons why it isn't likely that Jesus Christ ever even lived, at the bare minimum can show why it's not worth believing he did live.

Since you're a V.I.P. ;-) here it is, free... the show doesn't even air for several more weeks.

adaypastdead
adaypastdead's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus

The whole jesus thing was supposed to be my signature, sry bout the re-post, but this topic is supposed to be enviornmental, lets try and keep it in those bounds. Also alot of evidence points away from his existance.

GrapeScentedGuru
GrapeScentedGuru's picture
User is offlineOffline
Solution: Step 1) Enter

Solution:
Step 1) Enter Kyoto Pact
Step 2) Buy Amazon rain forest from Brazil by paying national defecit.
Step 3) Declare Amazon off-limits to non-indiginous or industrial use.
Step 4) Bring back electric cars.
Step 5) Shoot Jerry Falwell.

Okay, so that last one has nothing to do with the global enviroment, just my mental environment.

adaypastdead
adaypastdead's picture
User is offlineOffline
hmm, i see you make some

hmm, i see you make some good points, but two problems,
1) awreness: Not many people know or care of the seriousness of these problems, thus they cannot or will not help.
2) With what money?: The US is in debt up to the ass man, nothing can be done without money. Also we buy food from the grounds cleared by brazil, so were not likely to act upon a move to buy the lands, or preserve them.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
These problems, even though

These problems, even though I admit they are bad, will most likely not be fixed. People do not respect anything anymore. Everyone is greedy, to them if it doesnt hurt them it helps them. These issues will probably continue to go on for a very , very long time

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline
Ivory Coast govt resigns

Ivory Coast govt resigns after 1,500 become infected with pollution from idustrial plants.

Albania's communist-era plants fill their rivers in toxic waste.

China buys US and Euporeans computers, celluar devices, etc, collecting more that 1 million tons a year.

Thiers hundreds of enviromental problems happening everyday. [url=http://]ENN.com[/url] shows daily ones from National to World Events. To fix all enviromental problems, caused by humans, would take billions to trillions dollars, along with the backup of major nations. But every small thing helps.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
But we will never be able to

But we will never be able to do enough. Its all about greed man. the money will never be given. It just wont happen. Ofcourse it is good to try to slow it down. but unless things shape up it is only slowing down the inevitable.

adaypastdead
adaypastdead's picture
User is offlineOffline
money is filth, can one

money is filth, can one really own anything? I mean this planet was here before us and will be long after us (Unless Bush serves another term) so what right do we have to the resources that shouldnt be alloted to the animals and plants of our planet? We're taking away too much and we cant give it back fast enough. That and we are multiplying like rabbits!

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
the only way that will

the only way that will matter though is if you get the majority to think that way. but until then according to social standards money is important, and we can own things

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline
adaypastdead wrote:money is

[quote=adaypastdead]money is filth, can one really own anything? I mean this planet was here before us and will be long after us (Unless Bush serves another term) so what right do we have to the resources that shouldnt be alloted to the animals and plants of our planet? We're taking away too much and we cant give it back fast enough. That and we are multiplying like rabbits![/quote]

The Native Americans tought the same way. Course it was sacred to them, too sacred to be owned.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
hmm, well, i think that

hmm, well, i think that perhaps, it may be wise to also look at it from a perspective of a person. since that is a perspective of a person who i think must not use resources, or is a hipocrit(spelling, i dont care to much right now)

adaypastdead
adaypastdead's picture
User is offlineOffline
i do not consider the use of

I do not consider the use of resources as ownership, if I have more than the ammount needed for personal sustainability, I have no requisite against sharing, I would not expect something in return I would allot them with what they need, hoping they would do the same for the next person.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
that is a good thought, but

that is a good thought, but you cannot base something on hope too much. I am not criticizing, but hope is very similiar to faith. and faith is what christians have

Maverick
Maverick's picture
User is offlineOffline

Resort to Anarchy.

Let Natural Selection and Survival of the Fittest take it's course.

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline
Maverick wrote:Resort to

[quote=Maverick]Resort to Anarchy.

Let Natural Selection and Survival of the Fittest take it's course.[/quote]

In my opinion, not a good idea. Like for instance the nuclear and biochemical bombs in major countries laying around. That might cause even more choas than entendent.

adaypastdead
adaypastdead's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes , Anarchy, although a

Yes , Anarchy, although a good scenerio, is not nesisarily the best given the current state of the world, People are not rational enough yet to be self contained. We need to, however, get rid of all wepons, a world pacifism would be the first step to a better world. Also, we must look critically at the enviornmental issues, and look for a positive and sustainable solution.

Adam Burnfin
User is offlineOffline
adaypastdead wrote:There are

[quote=adaypastdead]There are many problems with the enviornment, all of which are major ones, the reality of the situation is that these problems, large or small, are adding up. The questions that we should be asking are what can we do to stop them, how can we reverse the changes at hand, and what laws should be passed to protect our future. Not much money is being given to research of enviormental problems. The oil companies and the overall patrolium industry has been absorbing the finite fossile fuels like water through a tap, but all wells dry, and oil reserves are no diferent. Reliance on fossile fuel is irrational. Our economy is based on something that cant be constanly produced. Also the ammount of greenhouse gasses are being expelled by everything, at large mass, every single day. What are we doing to reduce pollution? not too much, we continually cut down rainforests which restore our oxygen, and pollute our air with chemicals that can no longer be broken down by the trees. Were digging ourselves into a deep hole, and everyday we just dig our economic and overall all earthly grave, and why? Impact theory states that Impact is equal to the multiple of three things. these three things are the rooted cause of enviornmental disaster. Population growth:
It is common knowlage that in the last 50 years human population has more than doubled.
Affluence:
The ammount of consumable resources that the planet has to offer.
Technology:
A manner of accomplishing a task especially using technical processes, methods, or knowledge.
These three things together are what we gauge the destruction of our enviornment on. Human populations use resources to live. During life we create technology that also consumes planetary resources. As population increases the ammount of resources lost will increase. Also, with a grown population comes a growing advane age of technology. Not only do we require more resources to live, but we also need more to create and support our technology. From this we can draw the conclusion that technological advance is based on population, and enviormental problems are also based on population. With technological advance come better medicine. With people living longer there is a constant level of population growth. The people of the planet are not dying as fast as they are being born. If we want to continue to live on this planet we have to act now. We cannot go in moderately and slowly change. We have little time left. We cannot create a limit to the ammount of children that can be born by two parents, because that wouldcross amny cultural boundries, but that is one of the only options we have, if every family starting today could only bare one child, then in a few generations the population could hypethetically be cut in half[/quote]

The things that I would like to comment about here are:
1-Human population
2-technological advancement
3-Greenhouse affect
4-$$$ put towards aiding the environment

4-Let's start with the last one. I think it's highly possibly that there is much more research being undergone that is apparent to the public. Yellow-journalism turned the media into a sensationalist movement of gossip. Only what sells is what is published, and we all know the U.S. is full or idiocy and gossip, or at least we all should ;). haha.

3-I would like to add that all you air-conditioned o-zone depleters out there are doing just that. Cooling units of all sorts produce CFC's and HCFC's. HCFC's are a step up from chloroflaurocarbons, but still eat the O3 (ozone) from the sky faster than it can be regenerated. From every 1 CFC we pump into the sky, an average or 7 ozone molecules are destroyed. I also believe the ozone from in a self stoking flame. We air condition ourselves, making our home cooler and the rest of the world hotter. This increases our desire for A/C, increases global warming etc.

2-Yes, Population affects technological advacement, and demand for it, but I believe it increases potential for advancement more than actual advancement. Once an object reaches it's terminal velocity, it stops accelerating. Something cannot increase at more than it's potential, which is set by the population.

1-Human population was approximately 500 million intill late 19th century, where it experienced a rapid increase. It is now approximately 6.2 billion. It is estimated that it will reach 7.2 billion by 2050. Soon, the Earth may reach it's carrying capacity, and humans may need to discover more ways to support it's self. Hopefully, they don't rely on fossil fuels.

P.S. It is said that by 2020, the middle-class will be able to afford effective hybrid auto-mobiles.

Adam Burnfin
User is offlineOffline
Greg wrote:These problems,

[quote=Greg]These problems, even though I admit they are bad, will most likely not be fixed. People do not respect anything anymore. Everyone is greedy, to them if it doesnt hurt them it helps them. These issues will probably continue to go on for a very , very long time[/quote]
If they are not fixed they will eventually lead to the possible extinction of the human race, and possibly near every non-abyssal race known-to man. Hopefully we fix them soon. It is said within either 100 or 200 years, at this rate the sea level will increase approx. 100m.

Adam Burnfin
User is offlineOffline
Greg wrote:But we will never

[quote=Greg]But we will never be able to do enough. Its all about greed man. the money will never be given. It just wont happen. Ofcourse it is good to try to slow it down. but unless things shape up it is only slowing down the inevitable.[/quote]
You say it is good to slow down the inevitable? I believe not. We either should fix it, or let it swarm over us as to shorten the relatively soon to come (though probably out of my lifespan) period of time where 50% of people have skin cancer, and the over 50% have lung cancer, and the world's population is back to 500 mil. because of flooding. That period of suffering will surely suck. Preservation of life should either occur, or not. I do not believe we should drag on the innevitable. Just my view point.

Adam Burnfin
User is offlineOffline
Hope and Faith?

I do not believe hope is all to similar to faith. Hope is longing for, or want, while faith is expectation. I can hope for money, and recieve a pile of dog poop. There is no intertwining relevance apparent to me.

Maverick
Maverick's picture
User is offlineOffline

Adam indirectly supports my idea.
If it is inevitable we might as well speed it up WITH biochemical and nuclear warfare.

Yay.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
Adam Burnfin wrote:Greg

[quote=Adam Burnfin][quote=Greg]But we will never be able to do enough. Its all about greed man. the money will never be given. It just wont happen. Ofcourse it is good to try to slow it down. but unless things shape up it is only slowing down the inevitable.[/quote]
You say it is good to slow down the inevitable? I believe not. We either should fix it, or let it swarm over us as to shorten the relatively soon to come (though probably out of my lifespan) period of time where 50% of people have skin cancer, and the over 50% have lung cancer, and the world's population is back to 500 mil. because of flooding. That period of suffering will surely suck. Preservation of life should either occur, or not. I do not believe we should drag on the innevitable. Just my view point.[/quote]
Why would you not want to slow it down? I mean, slowing it down, gives you time to attempt to fix the problem.

Adam Burnfin
User is offlineOffline
Greg wrote:Adam Burnfin

[quote=Greg][quote=Adam Burnfin][quote=Greg]But we will never be able to do enough. Its all about greed man. the money will never be given. It just wont happen. Ofcourse it is good to try to slow it down. but unless things shape up it is only slowing down the inevitable.[/quote]
You say it is good to slow down the inevitable? I believe not. We either should fix it, or let it swarm over us as to shorten the relatively soon to come (though probably out of my lifespan) period of time where 50% of people have skin cancer, and the over 50% have lung cancer, and the world's population is back to 500 mil. because of flooding. That period of suffering will surely suck. Preservation of life should either occur, or not. I do not believe we should drag on the innevitable. Just my view point.[/quote]
Why would you not want to slow it down? I mean, slowing it down, gives you time to attempt to fix the problem.[/quote]
First, I apologize for posting 5x in a row, that night was my first, and I didn't know.

I do support slowing it down, but earlier you stated that it will never successfully be fixed, and under that circumstance only, is it useless to slow it down. Don't interperet my incorrectly, please, I am strongly against environmentally degrading processes such as burning fossil fuels and "spawning" trash dumps all over etc., and highly support reconstruction of the earth's original habitats. Sorry maverick, I don't want the world to be a virus ridden bacteria incubator any time soon ;)

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
me neither, I was just

me neither, I was just simply saying that I dont think the problems could be fixed, but it would be better I think to try to fix them, thus giving more time to attempt to fix if possible, and still giving some people happy lives, which is pointless to an extent. But still a wanted thing nonetheless.

Adam Burnfin
User is offlineOffline
You stated it as it you

You stated it as if it you thought it were innevitable.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
I myself think it is, within

I myself think it is, within the time limit we have to fix it. But I am not going to rule out the possibility that there may be a way to fix it. Given technological advances and such.

Kyzer
Kyzer's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, you can also go into

Well, you can also go into the point that a nuclear holocaust would happen and completely stop the production of hydrocarbons considering that nothing would be working and the whole world would be demolished...

Adam Burnfin
User is offlineOffline
Kyzer wrote:Well, you can

[quote=Kyzer]Well, you can also go into the point that a nuclear holocaust would happen and completely stop the production of hydrocarbons considering that nothing would be working and the whole world would be demolished...[/quote]
Good point, but I would just like to point out, that such an occurance would happen be be the end of the world (Hence "An environmental problem") <<

adaypastdead
adaypastdead's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would like to say firstly

I would like to say firstly its good to see somany people who can look at the environmental problems criticall.

Now I would like to adress a few points made prior.

1) Greg, slowing down would only do that, slow it down. This isnt what is needed however, what we need to do is completely cut it off, as soon as possible. If the green house effect gets into full swing it cannot be stoped, if the population keeps growing we will run out of resources. What we need to do is look at the problems and figure out a way to become self-sustainable. Consumerism is what causes most of these problems. If we could stop using as much or more than were making, we get into merchantilism. we have to start farming more in our countries. We have to replant trees and switch fuel sources. We have to solve the problems of today and prevent the ones of tomarrow, we have to set up boundaries on the control the corperations have over the natural resources. Let fix it before it spirals. We may not have much longer so why prolong the innevitable? why not just prevent it all together? I cannot agree that we have to stop it or let it take its path as whoever said(sry I forgot your name btw). I could not sit on the sidelines and see the conditions worsen and then feel justified to bring more life to this planet. It boils down to a common question posed to theists, would you bring a child into this world who may be put through mass ammounts of pain untill his death?

Kian
Kian's picture
User is offlineOffline
GrapeScentedGuru

[quote=GrapeScentedGuru]Solution:
Step 1) Enter Kyoto Pact
Step 2) Buy Amazon rain forest from Brazil by paying national defecit.
Step 3) Declare Amazon off-limits to non-indiginous or industrial use.
Step 4) Bring back electric cars.
Step 5) Shoot Jerry Falwell.

Okay, so that last one has nothing to do with the global enviroment, just my mental environment.[/quote]

Kyoto is a fucking joke. It wont do shit.

The biggest problem is peak oil... and climate change. The world is going to be a scary scary place in 30 or 40 years when our coast lines have gone way the hell up and when we have no oil to drive all our fancy dancy cars.

adaypastdead
adaypastdead's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kyoto is a good proposition,

Kyoto is a good proposition, not a joke, It would help, if the US would sign it and if Senate would stop taking all this money for oil. If the govt. wasnt taking all the money they get from oil companies it wouldnt be a problem.

Peak oil and climate change could both be greatly decreased by entering Kyoto, over 55% of the emmision produced world wide will be cut back, and hopefully the US will be able to see the error of their ways and it will finally be a better world. AT THIS RATE THE ONLY JOKE IS SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPEMENT!!!!!!!! If we dont do something now we can watch sustainable developement go right out the window. The time to act is now, not in another 2 years. Lets see some action.

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
adaypastdead wrote:Kyoto is

[quote=adaypastdead]Kyoto is a good proposition, not a joke, It would help, if the US would sign it and if Senate would stop taking all this money for oil. If the govt. wasnt taking all the money they get from oil companies it wouldnt be a problem.

Peak oil and climate change could both be greatly decreased by entering Kyoto, over 55% of the emmision produced world wide will be cut back, and hopefully the US will be able to see the error of their ways and it will finally be a better world. AT THIS RATE THE ONLY JOKE IS SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPEMENT!!!!!!!! If we dont do something now we can watch sustainable developement go right out the window. The time to act is now, not in another 2 years. Lets see some action.[/quote]
Peak oil, assuming it's true, isn't going to be solved by a treaty. It's a problem of physics, not international law.

adaypastdead
adaypastdead's picture
User is offlineOffline
Then what can solve it? If

Then what can solve it? If you can tell me a way to solve it thentheats what I will support, but until then the only solution is to slow it, without some action now the problem only get worse. The more we fix now the less we have to fix later on. I want to provide a safe world to future generations and right now Kyoto is about the only way to do that.

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
adaypastdead wrote:Then what

[quote=adaypastdead]Then what can solve it? If you can tell me a way to solve it thentheats what I will support, but until then the only solution is to slow it, without some action now the problem only get worse. The more we fix now the less we have to fix later on. I want to provide a safe world to future generations and right now Kyoto is about the only way to do that.[/quote]
Actually Kyoto really is a fucking joke. Read something that criticizes it and you'll figure that out pretty quick.

Peak oil is based on misunderstandings of the workings of the price system in the capitalist economy.

As oil becomes scarce, well owners will try not to produce too much right now, because there's profits in the future to be made. For example, why should a well owner pump oil today, when in 10 years the price may double? Well owners have to consider this. In conserving for the future, they increase the price somewhat. This motivates everyone else to cut back on fuel use, or research new ways of making it, or new ways to get around using it, or ways to use it more efficiently. The market naturally smooths out spike into a curve to keep it from becoming too painful and give everyone time to adjust to whatever happens in the meantime (i.e. alternative fuel-based infrastructure).

Also, to my knowledge, the way they get oil is by putting water down into the ground. Oil and water sepeate, and oil is lighter, so for every gallon of water they pump into the well, one gallon of crude is closer to the surface. It doesn't take more and more energy to get the oil out of the ground (which is an assertion peak-oil theorists rest their entire arguement on).