An interesting new division

Pheyon
Pheyon's picture
User is offlineOffline
An interesting new division

some friends and I were having a conversation about the difference between agnosticism and atheism, whe one of my friends introduced a third category, which is what he classified himself as. His monlogue went something like this "Okay, so you've got you're agnostics, which means they 'Don't Know' if there's a god, Atheists, Who simply 'Don't Beleive', but I'd classify myself as an 'Apatheist', meaning I simply 'Don't Care' "

I thought this was rather comical, and thought you guys would too

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Throughout the online

Throughout the online community, an apatheist is what we call an apathetic atheist, he's likely heard the term elsewhere. Not sure if he they're atheists, or that apatheist is considered an insult. An apatheist is aware of the problems religion causes yet does nothing about it. Or... an apatheist is simply ignorant to the problems religion causes and is therefore.... ignorant. :P

One last note... everyone is an atheist or a theist. Agnostic and apatheist are qualifiers to your other beliefs or lack of belief.

I classify myself as an....

Agnostic atheist militant anti-theist libertarian noncognitivist environmentalist metaphysical naturalist secular humanist

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
Nice label Brian. Perhaps a

Nice label Brian. :P Perhaps a more accurate distinction would be between theism and nontheism.

from wikipedia:

"Nontheism is the absence of belief in both the existence and non-existence of a deity (or deities, or other numinous phenomena). The word is often employed as a blanket term for all terms which are not theistic, including atheism (both strong and weak) and agnosticism, as well as certain Eastern religions like Confucianism, Taoism, and Buddhism."

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Ok, so let's ammend what I

Ok, so let's ammend what I am....

Agnostic atheist nontheist militant anti-theist libertarian noncognitivist environmentalist metaphysical naturalist secular humanist