How do u feel about...

AutumnB
User is offlineOffline
How do u feel about...

If u r a christian how do u feel about atheists. If u r an atheist how do u feel about christians? R there any christians that disagree with the bible or at least some of it? Im just wondering about ya'lls points of views. If u r wondering i am an atheist. I used to be a christian but i deconverted. Anyway just write about ur religion, or nonereligion. Or write about what u think of other religions.

P-Dunn
P-Dunn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:If u r a christian how

[quote]If u r a christian how do u feel about atheists.[/quote]
Excellent question.

I feel like they are the most worthwhile people to witness to. Most of them are people who really have what they believe thought out, which is something I've been doing over the course of a few years now and therefore I respect that very much. Atheists think about things, they use their brains. That's awesome.

But they're simply misinformed. Some may genuinely not have seen any good evidence. Some may have some sort of bias against theistic evidence. But whatever the cause, they're misinformed.

That's my opinion.

[quote]R there any christians that disagree with the bible or at least some of it?[/quote]
Well, that's interesting. Define "disagree."

I, for example, think the entire book of Job is a parable. Does that mean that I disagree with it as historical truth?

There are times where the actions of God as punishments seem WAY over the top, and in that sense, I disagree with his method. But I'm not sure that means I "disagree with the Bible."

[quote]I used to be a christian but i deconverted.[/quote]
I really would like to hear why.

[quote]Anyway just write about ur religion, or nonereligion. Or write about what u think of other religions.[/quote]
I think that many religions have some amount of truth to them, and the amount of truth behind them varies with each one. But they can't all be all right, because truth by definition is exclusive. If Christianity is fundamentally true, then any other religion that opposes fundamental Christianity is by definition false.

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would like to add there

I would like to add there are a good amount of atheists who are atheists simply out of rebellion, or because bad things happened to them. Of course, they do not nearly number as many as Christians hwo simply believe because they were told by their parents. I tend to, on average, think Christians have thought less critically about their beliefs. This I believe has a lot to do with other variables as well, however, like poverty. But I think a key element of religious belief is faith, which at some level cannot be reconciled with logic. That being said, one of my best friends and one of the smartest people I know is a fundamentalist Christian. We just avoid the topic :). I have some good friends I argue w/ constantly about religion with, mostly because we love to debate.I think the answer you come to is less consequential than the path you get to there by. That being said, I think atheism is correct, and I think correctness has its own inherent value, but it is small.

But Islam, on the other hand, scares the bejeezus out of me, at least its current incarnation. My friend made a joke about how the persian calendar is about 400 years behind(the persian new year came recently) and that explains hwile they're in the middle ages. While I disagree with many points, especially the insulting medium through which it was said, I do believe that Islam in terms of fundamentalist, 'I will kill you if you disagree with me'-ness missed out on the enlightenment and the subsequent civility. I think the greatest boon of CHristian society opposed to Muslim is that here(although that has to do more with the Western culture of freethought than Christianity) is that if you criticize the bible or God here, you might be shunned, or unpopular, or ridiculed, but you won't be killed. Apostasy is legal in Afghanistan and many other Muslim countries.

I used to say that Buddhism was the best religion cuz it couldn't be made violent. Then I learned about Sri Lanka...

People say you can't blame religion for religious violence, but I think it's that feeling of 'god's on my side' that allows people to do such extreme things.