Essay by Egann: Why I am a Christian

Egann
Egann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Essay by Egann: Why I am a Christian

Why I am a Christian (essay)

Christianity is not just a "religion" in the post-modern sense of a spiritual high. It is an outlook on life that fundamentally changes the way one thinks. It is a "worldview." Let us quickly define some terms.

Religion: Karl Marx cleverly summarized the post-modern view of religion as "The opiate of the masses." As that this definition is so ingrained into Marx's colegues minds, let's leave this definition stand as it is not worth challenging. As with all good lies, there is more truth to it than falsehood.

Worldview: A network or web of presuppositions that all individuals have. It gives answers to three questions:
1. How do we know what we know? (epistemology)
2. What is the nature of reality? (metaphysics)
3. What is the definition of right and wrong? (ethics)

Presupposition: A fundamental assumption that a person holds which cannot be challenged. This is why debaters who have been forced into a corner often beg the question to escape, their presupposition is exposed and is all that is left, so they beg the question and use the presupposition to prove itself.

I am going to start with a big, shocking, statement: All worldviews involuntarily and unconsciously borrow from the Christian worldview to answer the three worldview questions. (Transcendental assumption)

This sounds like an outright stupid assumption, but if you think about it, it really isn't that crazy. If there is an absolute truth about reality, it would make sense that one must, on some level, be aware of that truth to participate in reality, even if this is purely unconscious. So if there is only one truth, scientific, natural, or religious, it stands to reason that everyone is in some way familiar with it.

Now everyone has answers to all three of the worldview questions. Skeptics, who say we cannot know anything definitively answers the first question just as well as the scientist's reliance on empirical observation. The Hindu saying all is one answers the second question just as well as the agnostic saying we cannot know. The Relativist saying that there is no universal ethic answers the third question just as well as the Christian applying God's law to everything.

All worldviews borrow from the truth to bolster their own position. This can be hard to illustrate, but it is a real phenomenon.

Let us take the matter of ethics for the evolutionist. Evolution itself indicates that the moral code should be anarchy to promote survival of the fittest, but, thankfully, very few evolutionists hold to this position. Instead, most say that each individual should serve the whole of humanity, clinging to the Christian concept of charity, in spite of the fact that, according to their own position of origins, helping the whole species is actually retarding the evolution of the species.

As Paul said “The work of the law is written on the unbeliever’s heart.” This is a clear example.

Such borrowing is not restricted to just ethics. Let us also take the source of reason, again from the evolutionist.

Evolution says that the laws of logic are nothing more than our own minds attempting to properly interpret the physical interactions we see during infant development. According to this view, the laws of logic ought to be different for each person because the stimuli we see during development is different. If this were so, the scientific method could not apply to anything.

This is why the scientific method was invented by a Christian, Sir Francis Bacon. No other worldview gives a position that both gives a proper understanding of reason and uniformity of nature. Oriental knowledge, with Hindu transcending mysticism belief structures, directly undermines reason. Arabic science, while providing a useful continuation of Greek thought during the medieval period, also lacked a proper view of reason because, with the advent of Muslim thought, Allah’s transcending human reason gives no reason to trust reason, contrasting sharply with the western understanding of God’s reason surpassing our own.

The scientific method, far from being born from Deistic beliefs of the enlightenment, was the direct result of the reformation and it’s emphasis on man’s ability to worship God with his reason as presented by such men as Calvin, Luther, and Knox.

No other worldview can legitimately use the materials created by Christianity because they cannot provide proper justification. Borrowed capital will be reclaimed, whether the tenants want it to or not.

I actually thought that evolution was a remote possibility before I took AP Biology. Before AP Bio, I thought of science as equations that, even if they were combined into immense complexity and difficult trappings of the problems, still broke down into simple concepts, like inverse square laws or algebra. AP Biology changed that for me. The micro-biological systems I was presented with were more immensely complicated than anything I had ever dealt with. Evolution seemed to be the only possible explanation because no rational God would create something so incomprehensibly intricate, the blind laws of nature might.

Then came the chapter on punctuated equilibrium. Punctuated equilibrium asserts that small groups are the seat of evolution because of a small gene pool and fast influences all over the population. This was then proved by the lack of several transition forms as well as some lengthy equations on mutation and gene frequency.

This led me to question evolution extensively. Not only was punctuated equilibrium treated as fact in my text book, but it was also proven by the lack of something.

Small populations tend to die out, not evolve. Small populations absorb fewer mutations because mutations are a mix of environment and chance. The environment is about the same for both a large population and the small population, but the large population has more members to chance a mutation, so in short, the only way mutation could combine with punctuated equilibrium to cause speciation was if the population went from small to large many times in a relatively short evolutionary period.

Then, I happened across the “Privileged Planet” hypothesis. Despite the name, it actually is less of a creationist argument than you might think. All it asserts is that the best places for life are also the best places to observe the universe from.

A long string of cosmic coincidences made evolution no longer a viable solution for me. Between the “goldilocks zone” of our solar system being less than 2% of the space in the solar system, our own sun having the right (abnormal) size to keep the planet from entering orbital locking with the sun in the goldilocks zone, the portion of the milky way that we are in being just right for having enough heavy elements to create life and just far enough away from the center to keep from being bombarded with radiation from the center of the galaxy, the immense complexity of microscopic organisms…the list goes on and on.

So, following Occam’s razor, which is the more simple solution: That we are incredibly lucky, or incredibly blessed?

Unfortunately, I cannot win someone over with eloquent arguments. This essay is far more likely to solidify the unbeliever into unbelief rather than convert him.

Worldviews also contain a thing called “self-deception.” The worldview’s presuppositions often must rely on lies. The lies, when forced to the surface by difficult questions, often are involuntarily covered up by begging the question, rather than be corrected.

Therefore, it is not my objective to convert you. My objective is to get you to think and to ask your presuppositions some tough questions in hopes that you convert yourself, because every time you bring up your arguments, you will think of my arguments, and eventually the question, if you keep asking yourself, will win out over the lie.

GWG
GWG's picture
User is offlineOffline
Juror Debate Rules forum

Hey Egann,

When you get a chance go look in the announcements section & checl out the forum called Juror Debate rules. I would like you to check it out & see if you would like to be a juror. I offer a better explanation there.

Praise God,
GWG

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm going to do a bit of a

I'm going to do a bit of a lazy, one quote response, sorry about that, I'll get back to the rest later.

"Evolution itself indicates that the moral code should be anarchy to promote survival of the fittest, but, thankfully, very few evolutionists hold to this position. Instead, most say that each individual should serve the whole of humanity, clinging to the Christian concept of charity, in spite of the fact that, according to their own position of origins, helping the whole species is actually retarding the evolution of the species."

Wrong. Evolution is not about individuals, rather it is about genes. Genes which self-promote their own existence are more likely to increase their relative proportions. Therefore, a gene which tells the vehicle bearing it to help other of the same or similar genes will tend to live longer. Thus, prolonging the existence of the human race is beneficial to the gene, and to be expected. Of course, savage individual species are also to be expected, but far fewer, as united units tend to be better than individuals.

NaLalina
User is offlineOffline
Response to Egann's "Why I am a Christian"

I define religion as the normative philosophy of obeying rules said to have been dictated to humans by a being with unverifiable powers (AKA supernatural being).

You claim, "All worldviews involuntarily and unconsciously borrow from the Christian worldview to answer the three worldview questions." To support this assumption, you offer more assumptions. You assume that Christianity is the "absolute truth," that charity originated from Christianity, and that "the scientific method was invented by a Christian." First of all, if Christianity is the normative philosophy of obeying a canonized version of the bible that includes the New Testament, then truth/falsity of Christianity is depends on the truth/falsity of the canonized book to be followed and the truth/falsity of "Humans should obey that book." There's plenty of evidence that many claims in Christian bibles are not accurate, and there is no evidence for many of the others claims in those bibles. There's also no evidence that humans should obey any one of those books. Therefore, Christianity as a normative philosophy is not true. (I would add that following Christianity, instead of utilitarianism, is more harmful than helpful, but the evidence for this claim would take up too much space. Email me for evidence if you want.) Secondly, people acted charitably before Christianity and people who don't follow Christianity act charitably; so what makes you think Christianity invented charity? Thirdly, "the scientific method" was not invented by one person; it's actually a collection of methods articulated by different people at different times, methods that all people with functioning bodies (including brains) use. People around the world have used science, regardless of whether or not they know about Christianity (let alone follow Christianity). In summary, you have not offered any evidence to support your assumptions and given what I have presented above, I doubt the truth of your supporting assumptions. Therefore, I don't agree with your first assumption that all worldviews are dependent on Christianity.

You also assume: "Evolution itself indicates that the moral code should be anarchy to promote survival of the fittest." Firstly, evolution is not "survival of the fittest" any more than gravity is "what goes up, must come down." Such phrases are perversions, not accurate reflections, of the scientific theories. Therefore, your assumption is wrong. Secondly, evolutionary theory is a model of nature, not a normative philosophy. Just because gravity makes things go "down" toward a mass doesn't mean that humans should strive to go "down" towards Earth and never attempt to go "up" away from Earth. Don't commit the naturalistic fallacy.

You further claim about evolution that "according to this view, the laws of logic ought to be different for each person because the stimuli we see during development is different." This claim is false. According to evolution, humans are not a blank slate; we are born with genes that pattern the way we process and react to stimuli so that different stimuli do not necessarily result in differences in logic. You should read Steven Pinker's writings for information refuting the "blank slate" view of humans.

My answer to your question, "following Occam’s razor, which is the more simple solution: That we are incredibly lucky, or incredibly blessed?": the simpler explanation is that we are incredibly lucky, since the other explanation (we are incredibly blessed) requires an additional assumption: that something has blessed us.

The normative philosophy I attempt to follow is utilitarianism (minimizing suffering and maximizing well-being). I recommend these essays on utilitarianism:
http://www.ianmontgomerie.com/manifesto/utilitarianfaq.html
http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/carrot&stick.html

While you claim that all worldviews are dependent on Christianity, I hypothesize that everyone follows utilitarianism to some extent, even you. Everyone is a sentient being. Furthermore, people with normally functioning brains can be empathetic; observing or imagining another being's suffering can cause you to suffer. Naturally, you avoid suffering. If you don't want to suffer then you must take care of not only yourself but also of others. So, naturally, people are often utilitarian (at least towards sentient beings they can observe/imagine, which includes not only humans but also other animals). Christianity doesn't demand that we avoid torturing other animals or feeding peanut products to people who are allergic to peanuts, but utilitarianism does. If you take care of pets (or at least don't torture them) and you don't purposely give peanut-products to people who are allergic to them, then you are probably following utilitarianism.

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
Even if the Scientific

Even if the Scientific Method were made mostly by Christians (I would assume Islam had a small input, seeing as they were the science capital of the world until their failed invasion of Vienna in the late 17th century) that really has no meaning. Peanut butter was invented by a black man, that doesn't make Peanut butter inherently 'black'.

P-Dunn
P-Dunn's picture
User is offlineOffline
AgnosticAtheist1 wrote:Even

[quote=AgnosticAtheist1]Even if the Scientific Method were made mostly by Christians (I would assume Islam had a small input, seeing as they were the science capital of the world until their failed invasion of Vienna in the late 17th century) that really has no meaning. Peanut butter was invented by a black man, that doesn't make Peanut butter inherently 'black'.[/quote]
Then again, we don't have anyone in the world claiming that black people can't eat peanut butter, and such things as, "[i]Real[/i] peanut butter eaters are white."

We [i]do[/i] have scientists like Dawkins claiming that all "real" scientists are atheists, and that religion inhibits science.

logos
User is offlineOffline
Quote:AgnosticAtheist1

[quote]AgnosticAtheist1 wrote:
[quote]Even if the Scientific Method were made mostly by Christians (I would assume Islam had a small input, seeing as they were the science capital of the world until their failed invasion of Vienna in the late 17th century) that really has no meaning. Peanut butter was invented by a black man, that doesn't make Peanut butter inherently 'black'.[/quote]

Then again, we don't have anyone in the world claiming that black people can't eat peanut butter, and such things as, "Real peanut butter eaters are white."

We do have scientists like Dawkins claiming that all "real" scientists are atheists, and that religion inhibits science.[/quote]

ouch.

Dave_G
Dave_G's picture
User is offlineOffline
This thing is slow long you

This thing is slow long you have convinced me... IM CONVERTING TO ISLAM....