Perfection

patches
patches's picture
User is offlineOffline
Perfection

I would like to get everyone's interpretation on perfection. American Heritage Dictionary describes perfection as follows:

per·fec·tion
n.
The quality or condition of being perfect.
The act or process of perfecting: Perfection of the invention took years.
A person or thing considered to be perfect.
An instance of excellence.

I got into an arguement with someone about God in the OT, and him being perfect.

I said god in the OT seemed angry and I was wondering how a perfect being could experience anger.

I interprerate perfection as having no needs or wants, and therefore being in total and utter happiness. So how could god have wants if he were perfect? And why would he create reality if he didn't have some want to fullfill?

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
I define perfection as

I define perfection as meaning the inability to improve upon the object. As such, things that are perfect are not ever improved on. The only thing that i can think of that really would fit into this catagory is the image of god.

If god cannot be improved (if he can not build more muscle, get smarter or stronger) then that would make him omnipotent, all knowing and self contradictory...

If anything cannot die then they dont have a reason to improve themselves (think about it... if you can not cease to exist... then what point does existance have?)

God has the ultimate reason, he cannot be improved or die... so he would be at a state of non growth. He would eventually do away with emotions and do nothing (what would anything be useful for?)

God would cease to be good or bad, he would cease to do anything at all. There would be no point. Motivation comes from two sources (as far as I know) drives and incentives. Drives would not affect him at all (obviously) and incentives would be pointless (what could he work for that would be an incentive?)

The Idea of any perfect being when the definition of perfect means that it is impossiable to improve that being is impossiable. That is one of the reasons I am a strong atheist.

patches
patches's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's what I think too. I

That's what I think too. I just hate when theists justify things as" cuz god wants it to be." But how can an omnipotent and omniscient being want something. To me that in itself would disprove the existence of god.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
And the other belief is that

And the other belief is that god is not omnipotent... but then why would we worship him and not just recognize him as a really awsome alien?

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
Some people do recognize God

Some people do recognize God as an alien.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Everyone recognizes him as

Everyone recognizes him as an alien (He does not have citizenship) However, I meant that he was no different than a really advanced green man when you take away some of his god powers/ god senses.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
To me, perfect is a

To me, perfect is a contradiction. The society view on perfect is just amazingly ridiculous, to be perfect is to be the best at all. Can you be the best at being imperfect? would that make you perfect or imperfect? I guess its all in definition. I say screw whatever other people tell me perfect is. To me i see perfect as something that is at its best in the sense of creating happiness... (its 3am, ... how to word this properly and stay half asleep...) like... lets use an example... my girlfriend. I am ENTIRELY happy when I am with her. I am very much so infatuated with her. I hesitate to use the word love(i am going to bridge off this in another topic) because the definition is so unstable. But I do know there are flaws in when I am with her. Such as I ignore almost everyone else. I can also be a fool at times. To me perfect is something that gives you the highest possible feeling of happiness. Doesnt necessarily have to be a good thing. I am not too sure on how to word it yet. maybe after sleep. Does anyone follow, or did i lose everyone..

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
no such thing as

no such thing as perfectionAlso, if I'm wrong, and perfection were acheived, nothing would happen after that.

patches
patches's picture
User is offlineOffline
thats is my point. based on

thats is my point. based on the defenition of perfection, the xian god cannot exist.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
that point is widely

that point is widely reached. I would recommend what i ask my other friends who come up with that statement. Try going deeper into it. Such as, what are possibilities for it to be true? is it possible that the definition could be tainted. etc

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
The word perfect is used

The word perfect is used purely hyperbolically. There is no way anyone means it literally, because that is simply impossible.

For instance, I am getting good at predicting behavior (passion of mine recently). My brother won't play Rock- Paper- Scissors with me, nor make any bet of any type. He resents my psuedo- expertise. So, how do I become perfect? Get better, or worse?

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Haha, How do you learn to

Haha, How do you learn to play rock paper scissors better? Is there a manual or do you just notice that he twitches when he does rock?

patches
patches's picture
User is offlineOffline
Guruite wrote:Haha, How do

[quote=Guruite]Haha, How do you learn to play rock paper scissors better? Is there a manual or do you just notice that he twitches when he does rock?[/quote]

He probally does like that commercial and throws rocks at people.

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
nah, it's just a matter of

nah, it's just a matter of intuition/psychology. Although that would be funny