Recommended Science Books (updated)

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
Recommended Science Books (updated)

As freethinkers we can't accept the "God did it" explanation for nature's wonders. Thus, a decent knowledge of science is essential to appreciate the world for what it really is. Many people dislike science because of badly written school-books or onboxious teachers. I think that is truly sad... Here is a short list of my favorite scientific books:

Collins Petersen, Carolyn (an accomplished astronomy writer and researcher)

Visions of the Cosmos

Darwin, Charles (the man who got us a plausible explanation for the complexity of life):

The Origin of Species
The Descent of Man

Dawkins, Richard (there is another thread about him):

The Selfish Gene
The Blind Watchmaker
Unweaving the Rainbow

Richard Feynman (one of the most influential physicists):

Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics Explained by Its Most Brilliant Teacher
Six Not So Easy Pieces: Einstein’s Relativity, Symmetry and Space-Time

Hawking, Stephen (the well-known physicist):

A Briefer History of Time
The Universe in a Nutshell

Pinker, Steven (a leading psychologist):

How the Mind Works

Sagan, Carl (the late great astronomer and skeptic):

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Smolin, Lee (another great theoretical physicist):

The Life of the Cosmos
Three Roads to Quantum Gravity

Most (if not all) of those scientists are atheists. As Steven Weinberg has said, "teaching of modern science is corrosive of religious belief".

I am an Information and Communications Technology student myself and know how boring science can be, but I promise that these books are compelling. These people (especially Dawkins) know how to write an interesting book.

[RRS EDIT: We added our Amazon Store to the first post here. We get a tiny portion of all sales through here. You can search for any book or open a new window to browse from Amazon instead. To browse in a new window, right click on this "open in new window"]

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
ooh, i actually have some of

ooh, i actually have some of these books. amazing reads. but i havent read all of them. so i guess i have to get the ones i dont have. thanks for the suggestions.

FSMllama
FSMllama's picture
User is offlineOffline
Id also suggest anyone who

Id also suggest anyone who likes Carl Sagan's books to buy the Cosmo videos.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
what are the cosmo videos?

what are the cosmo videos?

keasbynights241
keasbynights241's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Elegant Universe by

The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene is really, really good and really, really interesting and not super hard to understand. I recommend that. I don't do much reading into science but I bought an introduction book on Quantam Physics and Chaos which are also pretty good.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
i am not great at science

i am not great at science either. I mean, i like it alot, but i need time to proccess some of the info sometimes, i think it might just be laziness actually. lol. but i will definately check into that.

keasbynights241
User is offlineOffline
Well, it comes in DVD form

Well, it comes in DVD form too, both of which I own so you can check out either one I suppose!

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
ofcourse i will, how much

ofcourse i will, how much are they?
are they cheap on amazon?

keasbynights241
User is offlineOffline
Umm... I'm sure they are

Umm... I'm sure they are regular book and DVD prices. I would estimate you can get both for under $40 or $50.

keasbynights241
User is offlineOffline
By the way, once you're done

By the way, once you're done reading and watching and all, let me know what you think of it.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
ok, it may take a while, i

ok, it may take a while, i am stuffed with school. i am always busy. so dont expect me to finish reading them soon, however i did add them to my list.

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boring?

Science?
We even talking about the same thing?
I'm one of those people who finds it immensly interesting but that's just me.

-There is no sin save faith

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
if you are good at science,

if you are good at science, check out the homework help section in the forums.

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
Most of those books aren't

Most of those books aren't that hard to understand... just try them :)

The Cosmos series by Carl Sagan is a fabulous journey through many subjects of science (mostly astronomy and evolution)...

here is the first episode:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5136506065534776449

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was never one who was too

I was never one who was too big for astronomy. It is cool and all. buuuut just not my cup o` tea. but i will still check it out

keasbynights241
User is offlineOffline
Astronomy as in

Astronomy as in constellations or astronomy as in origins of the universe?

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
astronomy as in

astronomy as in constellations

keasbynights241
User is offlineOffline
Agreed!

Agreed!

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
ha agreed on what? i think

ha agreed on what? i think the whole origins of the universe thing is cool, but i doubt we will know for a long time if any

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
The Cosmos series is about

The Cosmos series is about astronomy as a little bit of both, read [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Personal_Voyage]this[/url] for more details.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
oh i understand it now.

oh i understand it now. thanks

keasbynights241
User is offlineOffline
By agreed I meant that I'm

By agreed I meant that I'm more into the origins of the universe than the constellations. My bad haha

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
oh i see, have you read

oh i see, have you read anything by hermann hesse?

keasbynights241
User is offlineOffline
No sir, what should I look

No sir, what should I look into?

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
You should read, Siddhartha,

You should read, Siddhartha, Demian, Steppenwolf, and Narcissus and Goldmund . all by hermann hesse. he is amazing. siddhartha is the best

Nick
User is offlineOffline
Basically anything by

Basically anything by Dawkins is pure genius. I've never been so enlightened in my life.

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline
I remember this from Enviro

I remember this from Enviro Science:

1. All Organisms produce more offspring than can possibly surive.

2. The enivroment contains that kill organisms.

3. All organisms vary and differ in traits.

4. Organisms with trait that give an advantage, tend to surive longer and produce more offspring.

5. Indivuals with these advantgeous traits pass them to their offspring.

it was Darwins Natural Selection Law, I think.

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
I added some new books I

I added some new books I got, from Richard Feynman and Carolyn Collins Petersen.

RedAlert
User is offlineOffline
The Science of Evolution

Gotta rep this, it's the last book I've read and a real page-turner! I couldn't put it down, gotta rip off the publisher's website on it here for people to check out. Let's talk about some of the exciting theories discussed in this book...anyone else read it yet?

THE SCIENCE OF EVOLUTION
AND
THE MYTH OF CREATIONISM:
KNOWING WHAT'S REAL - AND WHY IT MATTERS
by Ardea Skybreak

[url=http://rwor.org/evolution/Evol_ad-en.pdf]Download printable ad[/url] (PDF format 1.3 meg)
[url=http://rwor.org/downloads/file_info/download1.php?file=scienceofevolution.pdf]Download the Revolution series here[/url] (PDF format 1.7 meg)

In today's world, without the science of evolution there would be no science. Written for both the scientifically-minded as well as those who are not familiar with science at all, this book details the facts of the science of evolution. In one engrossing volume Ardea Skybreak looks at the diversity and complexity of life on this planet and how all life, including humans, evolved. She examines the many different lines of mutually reinforcing evidence that support and confirm the biological theory of evolution. At the same time, Skybreak dissects the myth of Creationism and the lies behind the thinly-veiled religiosity of Intelligent Design. There's urgency in this book. It comes at a time when evolution–and the very definition of science–is under concerted attack by religious fundamentalists, with backing from the highest levels of government. The reader will come away with a deepened appreciation of the beauty and wonders of nature, as well as an understanding of the basic scientific facts of evolution and a clear sense of why science and a scientific method make it possible to determine what's real–and why knowing what's real profoundly matters.

Limited Edition Hardcover ISBN 0976023679
$45.00 – [url=http://www.insight-press.com/cgi-bin/Agora/agora.cgi?product=books&p_id=00020]Buy Now![/url]
(Shipping will be free on hardcover by Priority USPS)

Paperback ISBN 0976023652
$24.95 – [url=http://www.insight-press.com/cgi-bin/Agora/agora.cgi?product=books&p_id=00021]Buy Now![/url]

[url=http://www.insight-press.com/books/evolcom.htm]Click here to read comments about the book from scientists, prisoners, students...[/url]

Whitecrow
Whitecrow's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd suggest some of Michael

I'd suggest some of Michael Shermer's books, like "Why People Believe in Weird Things." Skepticism is always a good thing, even when it's not directed squarely at theistic beliefs... Though it's easy to argue how things like UFOs and alternative medicine are very much linked or like theism.

Oonerspism
User is offlineOffline
Steven Pinker's The Language

Steven Pinker's The Language Instinct is good.

shasocastris
User is offlineOffline
I think anything written by

I think anything written by Carl Sagan should be on this list, but that's just me. Also, I know its not actually about science, but what about The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins. I like it a lot. I also like Bad Astronomy, by Phil Plait, who debunks a lot of goofy claims about astronomy, and second whoever said we should add The Elegant Universe to this list. That is an awesome book (though the later chapters do get a bit... weird).

Cheers!

Kovash Tau'va!

per ardua ad astra

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."

-Salvor Hardin, Foundation