Everything is A Free Market

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
Everything is A Free Market

Could it not be argued that government is simply another form of economic psychology* in that, if the benefit of changing it were greater than the cost of losing it, than the market HAS spoekn, however influenced it was by any variables.

Economic Psychology being the free-market idea of conflicting benefits and costs.

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
It doesn't exist in a "free"

It doesn't exist in a "free" market because the market is not free. Governments always restrict the market, prohibiting secession, competing with the government's issuing of money and protection and court services. If the government existed in a free market, the "government" as we know it today would be whoever you pay to pave the roads, offer you police protection and court services, whatever militia or whatever is defending your geographic region, and so on. This is not the case today because there is no free market.

Unless a robber pointing a gun at you and saying "Your money or your life", imposing unnecessary costs upon you, is considered a "free market" transaction, you can't make a case that the government exists in a free market in the first place.

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good point Zhwazi. If the

Good point Zhwazi. If the government allowed you to choose your government without personal cost then it would be a free market.

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
ah sry. Being somewhat of a

ah sry. Being somewhat of a determinist somewhat ruins my ability to see 'choices'.

But yes, I see the point that a deterrant affects the market., regardless of whether I think it's inherently bad or not.