Ten Reasons You Will Not Recognize America in Ten Years

Sapient
User is offlineOffline

There are tons of comments from both sides of the fence at DIGG and and the site it was posted.
DIGG STORY: http://digg.com/political_opinion/Ten_Reasons_You_Will_Not_Recognize_America_in_Ten_Years

This article was submitted to the Florida Tech Crimson Oct 3, 2006

“We shall have world government whether or not you like it, by conquest or consent.”
Statement by Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) member James Warburg to The Senate Foreign Relations Committee on February 17th, l950

“And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their forehead: and that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.”
Revelations 13:16

The New Torture Bill
House bill H6166 (yup…) signed by the president, introduces, per the New York Times, “a dangerously broad definition of ‘illegal enemy combatant’…could subject legal residents … to summary arrest and indefinite detention with no hope of appeal.” It essentially broadens the term so that it can be applied to “whomever a military tribunal says so,” to paraphrase freedomunderground.org.

The PATRIOT Act
This law expands the government’s surveillance ability involving American citizens, particularly on-line and over voice communications via the use of wiretaps. It also greatly expands the definition of “terrorism” and allows the government to enter and search our homes without them informing us.

The REAL ID Act
This bill requires all U.S. citizens to carry a federal I.D. card to, as stated by CNET.com, “travel on an airplane, open a bank account, collect Social Security payments, or take advantage of nearly any government service.” Americans will hear some variant of “Your papers, please.” Will we accept it as necessary for our protection?

Kellogg Brown and Root Concentration Camps
Yes, you read that correctly. Concentration camps…on American soil. “Preposterous!” you say? Regrettably, quite a reality. KBR, a subsidiary of Cheney’s old stomping grounds, Haliburton, is at this moment building facilities to house and detain large numbers of people. Dow Jones Market Watch notes that the contract “which is effective immediately, provides for establishing temporary detention and processing capabilities to expand existing ICE Detention and Removal Operations Program facilities in the event of an emergency influx of immigrants into the U.S., or to support the rapid development of new programs….”

“The rapid development of new programs…” What on earth could they mean by that?

Do I have your attention yet?

Biometric Big Brother
Doing a quick search on “biometrics”, one quickly finds the Biometric Consortium which “serves as a focal point for research, development, testing, evaluation, and application of biometric-based personal identification/verification technology.” Already in use are rice-sized RFID chips implantable in human flesh, produced by a Florida-based company called Verichip (take a look at their website). It will become necessary to have this type of tag if one is to buy, sell, or otherwise participate in society (even turn on your computer). Note that Britain has already in place big brother type loudspeakers that shout at you when you may be committing a violation or infraction, or even using bad language-wasn’t that in some dystopian Schwarzenegger film? From the Daily Mail, Sept 16, 2006: “Big Brother is not only watching you - now he’s barking orders too. Britain’s first ‘talking’ CCTV cameras have arrived, publicly berating bad behaviour and shaming offenders into acting more responsibly.”

North American Union
The Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America website states that it “was launched in March of 2005 as a trilateral effort to increase security and enhance prosperity among the United States, Canada and Mexico through greater cooperation and information sharing.” Reading between the lines of the lullaby rhetoric, the president has signed agreements with Canada and Mexico, without congressional approval, to merge the three countries into a single North American Union. Prepare yourselves for the formal dismantling of the United States as a sovereign entity.

Prepare for the formal repeal of the Constitution (already a dead letter) and our sacred Bill of Rights (already abused to the point of obscurity). It is happening right under our noses.

Racial Scapegoating

Since 9/11/2001, it has become acceptable to bash muslims. At first, a distinction was made between the radical fundamentalists and those of more moderate persuasion, but over the past year, the rhetoric against “islamofascists” has mounted to an ear-splitting cacophony. When the administration adopts this bastard term of dubious meaning right from the mouth of sycophantic talk-radio, there is little hope of cooler heads making great efforts to distinquish between whom we might deem “radical islamofascists” and those who merely practice the religeon.

Take, as an alternative example, the great chorus of outcry against the mexican illegal immigrant. Now, understand, this massive flow of mexicans over the southern border is not only a problem ignored by the government, but has been coordinated and planned with government help. A major topic of right-wing talk radio, the tension is building for the government to step in and save the day. Mark my words, Americans will cheer as people of demonized ethnicity are herded into the aforementioned KBR camps.

Again, you as a sensible reader may likely scoff at this idea, but I point out to you that this scenario has already happened more than once on American soil: the herding of Native Americans onto reservations, and the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII.

Suppression of Dissent
The government began revoking the tax exempt status of churches whose pastors do not genuflect to the administration. The homes of whistle-blowers are raided by the BATF or similar organizations. Surveillance of peaceful demonstrations and the compilation of political profiles of peaceful demonstrators by police in New York (as reported by the ACLU).

Another curious point of note: The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, whose mission is to “reduce inequities around the world”, was recently outed as having funded the buy-up of independent newspapers around the country. Now I ask you, dear reader, why would the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation be buying independent newspapers?

Cashless Society
Society is moving towards the complete digitization of money. When this happens, all ability to maintain anonymity in transactions will be gone. Every last thing we buy–lest we resort to out-and-out barter (which would collapse the division of labor if it became widespread)–will be traceable by The Powers That Be.

Predictions:
Prepare for the formal repeal of the right for citizens to keep and bear arms. Prepare for tighter control of food and water distribution. Prepare for tighter control of business activity. Prepare for curfew.

I regret to paint such a dire, ugly picture. These are not “what if’s” or the policies of obscure totalitarian countries in far away lands, but real news items in our own as well as other “first world” nations. You may choose to ignore the writing on the wall, and you cannot be altogether blamed for it as it is truly horrifying. Nevertheless the words are there for those with the courage to look. Finally, I complete this article in my home while reassuring my son that he can color with his new crayons after mommy makes breakfast. I ease my daughter’s distress by fixing the foot of her pajamas that had rolled over the bridge of her foot. And I grit my teeth in silence.

email me at [email protected]

HERE IS AN ADDITIONAL ARTICLE ABOUT THE END OF OUR "NOMINAL DEMOCRACY": http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2006/10/our_nominal_dem.html

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
The only one of these I'm

The only one of these I'm not vastly against would be the ID cards. I'm somewhat ambivalent on that issue, I frankly just wouldn't think it a big deal(but I'm sure the first time I left it at home, I'd be pissed.

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
The cashless society is

In case you didn't notice, that was 9 reasons. What's number 10?

This sounds like something pulled off one of Alex Jones' websites. The worst part about Alex Jones is that half the stuff he says is true, but then he goes and draws paranoid conclusions that people dismiss and stop listening to anything he says.

AgnosticAtheist1
User is offlineOffline
I assume that is because one

I assume that is because one of the options was somewhat... outlandish and almost conspiratorial.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
AgnosticAtheist1 wrote:I

[quote=AgnosticAtheist1]I assume that is because one of the options was somewhat... outlandish and almost conspiratorial.[/quote]

Actually I posted the article exactly as I found it. (I think)

AgnosticAtheist1
User is offlineOffline
Hmm... Well the one about

Hmm... Well the one about Foreign troops on American soil isn't on here, but it is on the original link. Not sure if it went through a secondary source I didn't notice.

GrapeScentedGuru
GrapeScentedGuru's picture
User is offlineOffline
Haha... "VHERE ARE YOUR

Haha... "VHERE ARE YOUR PAPERS?!"

An ongoing joke with one of my friends. Anybody who's seen a WWII flick like Schindler's List will get it.

But I don't think today's youth (the voters of that time period) would conform to such ideas, especially after growing up around the negative press surrounding the right wing parties. Though I'd much rather have the youth despise right wing polotics through their own logical through process, they dispise them through the sheer popularity of the notion.

Thor
User is offlineOffline
“We shall have world

“We shall have world government whether or not you like it, by conquest or consent.” - No, conquest will never unite the world. Only consent could permit this to happen and then it would probably be a good thing.

Oh, and 'concentration camps' are not a new thing in America. During WW2 110,000 Japanese residents on the Pacific coast were sent to Internment camps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American_internment

Anyway I think the best chance for America now is a hard landing of the dollar, causing an economic shock that would force people to re-evaluate their Republican loyalty (unless of course the Republicans manage to blame it on the Chinese). I suppose secular activism could do the same sort of thing.

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would like to state that

I would like to state that we wouldn't have to resort to barter to avoid digitization. I am putting my money in Gold and Platinum. Possibly silver.

Guruite
Guruite's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't do that... Alchemy is

Don't do that... Alchemy is due for a comeback