being positive?

Cody
Cody's picture
User is offlineOffline
being positive?

my mother and i were having a conversation tonight in the car. it started with the controversy in the boyscouts, then somehow moved onto the best way to solve problems in the world. she was getting frustrated with my biews of society and whatnot, and she made the comment:

"You can solve more problems in the world by having a positive attitude and being a better person."

When i asked her for details she named only Mother Teresa and Ghandi. I disagree with that statement, because the vast majority of the worlds problems have been "solved" with violence and taking action.

What are you're thoughts?

(P.S. I did not know exactly where to put this one, so if i made a mistake in placement...i apologize in advance)

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Firstly, I'd mention that

Firstly, I'd mention that Mother Theresa let people suffer in her clinics because she felt that elivated them to Christ (though she did get surgeries for herself).

Anyways, I think that is good advice. Still, if you have to choose between being positive and realistic, you know what to do.

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
"WTF are you doing, we're

"WTF are you doing, we're going to get killed!!!"
"-Oh come on, be positive!!!"

I try to be mildly optimistic...

GrapeScentedGuru
GrapeScentedGuru's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think what she meant is to

I think what she meant is to keep a positive attitude whilst solving a problem, meaning that a positive attitude will be a driving force in your resolution. So I'd agree with her. Ghandi, Che Guevera, JFK, MLK Jr, Malcom X (After he turned from Islam) all had a positive attitude towards their goals, and that's what made them so charismatic and admirable.

Unfortunately, all the people above were shot.

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
Frankly, I'm not a fan of

Frankly, I'm not a fan of Ghandi or Che.

Ghandi said of the Holocause that the Jews should all commit mass suicide, so as to alert the world as to Hitler's evil

Che was just too massively anti-capitalism and too violently radical for me.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
anyone who knew his mother

anyone who knew his mother would probably say she just didnt want her son to win the arguement with something that she did not believe in. :) every parent is like that.

Nick
User is offlineOffline
You can be violent and take

You can be violent and take action while still being positive, you know. I love being positive. Makes thing way more fun. :)

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
OH MY GOD.... kill them with

OH MY GOD.... kill them with KINDNESS... is that where it came from? killing with a smile... i believe that is what serial killing is

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
No_worries wrote:just

[quote=No_worries]just remember Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
[/quote]
That is an absolutely amazing comment. But according to what has been previously said and how people think sadly it is right. Everyone is going to disagree with you in something.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Joseph Stalin wrote:Death

[quote=Joseph Stalin]Death solves all problems - no man, no problem.[/quote]

Be careful with such words.

Kyzer
Kyzer's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with Greg on that

I agree with Greg on that being the greatest quote :)

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
Voiderest wrote:Joseph

[quote=Voiderest][quote=Joseph Stalin]Death solves all problems - no man, no problem.[/quote]

Be careful with such words.[/quote]

why do you say that? it is harsh, but true