Libertarians and Environment

liberal agnostic
User is offlineOffline
Libertarians and Environment

For the libertarian atheists, how do you guys feel abou the environment?

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Not sure really. Haven't

Not sure really. Haven't thought that much on this topic, but I do think that the market could deal with environmental problems better than the government.

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't "feel" about the

I don't "feel" about the environment, I think.

I think that there are real problems in the environment, but that the government is distorting the useful information.

The government helped to create the problem by promising early in the American industrial revolution to not allow class-actions lawsuits against polluters. It was determined that allowing pollution would allow the expansion of industry, and industry was good...thus, it was in the public good to give industry freedom from class-action lawsuits. And so it was.

Then people started realizing that pollution sucked. So they asked for regulation. So they added "reasonable" regulations. But all in all, polluters were coming out ahead. And they still are.

Government intervention created the problem and government emphasis on the problem has put people's focus not on the true cause of the problem, which would reduce it massively, but on the issue that gives the government an excuse to govern, gives politicians a chance to politicize, gives bureaucrats a chance to give themselves more bureaucracy to do their job for them, and efficiency be damned we're going to throw money at the problem until it's solved.

There's also environmental problems caused by the government. The US army has dumping sites in the atlantic. The military dumps everything from battleships to bombers, nukes and nerve gas, right into the ocean. And interestingly, this is NOT a major political environmental issue.

Funny how that works.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Just one example (there's

Just one example (there's many more but they'll never appear on the headlines), from [url=http://scienceblogs.com/deepseanews/2007/06/munitions_dumping_at_sea.php]here[/url].

[quote]The Army now admits that it secretly dumped 64 million pounds of nerve and mustard agents into the sea, along with 400,000 chemical-filled bombs, land mines and rockets and more than 500 tons of radioactive waste - either tossed overboard or packed into the holds of scuttled vessels.[/quote]

Yeah, we need the state to protect the environment.