C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity"

Third Day
User is offlineOffline
C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity"

Has anyone here read C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity"? If so, what did you think?

BTW this was the book that caused Francis Collins, the head of the Human Genome project, to be saved.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
I haven't read it, CS Lewis

I haven't read it, CS Lewis sounds like a waste of time based on what I've heard about his arguments.

Here's an old RRS [url=http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/general_conversation_introductions_and_humor/296]thread[/url] about it.

Third Day
User is offlineOffline
It obviously wasn't a waste

It obviously wasn't a waste of time to the many who consider it a classic, along with Francis Collins.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Are you implying that if

Are you implying that if most consider it a classic, it's not a waste of time? Appeal to the masses is invalid. Citing Francis Collins makes it an appeal to authority.

(The God Delusion and other atheist books have also been bestsellers, too.)

Third Day
User is offlineOffline
So I have both bases

So I have both bases covered? Good to know. :P

mig_killer2
User is offlineOffline
Third Day wrote:Has anyone

[quote=Third Day]Has anyone here read C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity"? If so, what did you think? BTW this was the book that caused Francis Collins, the head of the Human Genome project, to be saved.[/quote] I have read it, and I dont think its supposed to be an apologetic. if you want a good apologetic, Check out Reasonable Faith by William Lane Craig or Scaling the Secular City by JP Moreland

mig_killer2
User is offlineOffline
noor wrote:I haven't read

[quote=noor]I haven't read it, CS Lewis sounds like a waste of time based on what I've heard about his arguments. Here's an old RRS [url=http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/general_conversation_introductions_and_humor/296]thread[/url] about it.[/quote] you would be wise to actually read books before giving a review. I've read a lot of books in hte past 6 months and attempted rebuttals tend to fail miserably. This was nicely typified by Kelly's absolutely pitifully retarded response to Vox Day's The Irrational Atheist which BTW is a terrific book

Noor
User is offlineOffline
mig_killer2 wrote:noor
[quote=mig_killer2]

[quote=noor]I haven't read it, CS Lewis sounds like a waste of time based on what I've heard about his arguments. Here's an old RRS [url=http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/general_conversation_introductions_and_humor/296]thread[/url] about it.[/quote] you would be wise to actually read books before giving a review. I've read a lot of books in hte past 6 months and attempted rebuttals tend to fail miserably. This was nicely typified by Kelly's absolutely pitifully retarded response to Vox Day's The Irrational Atheist which BTW is a terrific book

[/quote] Where the fuck did I give a review of any of his books? I've read his arguments so yes, I CAN tell you I found his arguments terrible. Attempted rebuttals to atheist writers tend to fail miserably too.

Aaron1212
Aaron1212's picture
User is offlineOffline
Noor wrote:Are you implying

[quote=Noor]Are you implying that if most consider it a classic, it's not a waste of time? Appeal to the masses is invalid. Citing Francis Collins makes it an appeal to authority. (The God Delusion and other atheist books have also been bestsellers, too.)[/quote]

good point when people try to make the argument that something is good based on popularity i offer the rebutle that hitler ws really popular in germany but we all know he wasn't a great guy.