opinions please

Olivia Rival
User is offlineOffline
opinions please

how do you guys feel about age of consent laws. many states, like my own have 18 as the official age where you are sexually free. but florida allows anyone who is 16 or 17 to have a sexual relationship with anyone up to the age of 25. lemme know...

legendlette
legendlette's picture
User is offlineOffline
Honestly, I think the age of

Honestly, I think the age of consent laws are at least a little sensible. No one wants a 12 year old slut walking around.

I know that, all in all, no one really follows them when they're a teenager (I didn't). But the ages up to 25 is ridiculous. That's pedophilia, at least in Alabama it is. I think that the age difference for pedophilia here is something like 5 years. Personally, I couldn't see myself with someone over 5 years older than me anyway.

Olivia Rival
User is offlineOffline
there are 12 year old sluts

there are 12 year old sluts everywhere regardless. no matter where i go i see little girls in miniskirts and halter tops. and frankly it makes me sick. i dont respect anyone who could let their child walk around like that. but that doesnt really have anything to do with age of consent issues.

i have a different opinion on age of consent laws. i am completely for all states having the same law as florida. i think 16 is old enough to decide who to sleep with. now dont get me wrong. im not naive enough to think that everyone has good judgement. and i know thats there are creeps out there. i just think that a 16 yr old and someone who is 21 (for instance) should be able to have a sexual relationship with the 16yr olds parents going wiggy and calling the cops

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
The point at which you gain

The point at which you gain the ability to consent is impossible to determine and using age as a basis is arbitrary. If a 14 year old and a 40 year old REALLY want to have a relationship, let them. Age difference is as irrelevant as a difference in eye color. Having a minimum age of consent up to a maximum age is stupid. It's just a way to cram your personal tastes down someone else's throat. I don't think 14 and 40 year olds should be together, but I'm not going to advocate laws that would stop them just because they're doing something I disagree with.

No age of consent laws. You either consent or you don't. Age does not determine whether or not you consent.

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
absolutely. I have had to

absolutely. I have had to deal with similar ageist crap my entire life, and I think it is ridiculous to have such an arbitrary standard.

Bashh
Bashh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zhwazi wrote:The point at

[quote=Zhwazi]The point at which you gain the ability to consent is impossible to determine and using age as a basis is arbitrary. If a 14 year old and a 40 year old REALLY want to have a relationship, let them. Age difference is as irrelevant as a difference in eye color. Having a minimum age of consent up to a maximum age is stupid. It's just a way to cram your personal tastes down someone else's throat. I don't think 14 and 40 year olds should be together, but I'm not going to advocate laws that would stop them just because they're doing something I disagree with.

No age of consent laws. You either consent or you don't. Age does not determine whether or not you consent.[/quote]

Yeah the problem with that logic is that 14 year olds can more easily be duped into relationships by someone older than someone who is 20. I'm not saying that an 18 year old should go to jail for banging a 16 year old who did consent and knew the ramifications. But just like with there being a legal age for cigarettes and driving, there's a legal age for sex. Most people aren't mature enough to make a competent decision let alone one about sex at the age of 14. The age of consent here is 18. I think it might should be 17, but I agree with most of the laws being put into place, and the reasoning for them.

JoshHickman
JoshHickman's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree that most people

I agree that most people can't handle their lives. But ageism is bullshit, and I have been dealing with it my entire life. Make people take a test or something. I mean, goddamn, age doesn't make people smarter. The people who are absolutely retarded will still be unable to decide for themselves. If you want to make sure they weren't duped (what does that even mean? Rape is still illegal), then a logical thinking test would be better, would it not?