I just wanted to ask something.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just wanted to ask something.

Does anyone know how long it took for the Greeks to stop believing in Zeus? The reason I ask is because maybe it will take the same amount of time for the God-believers to stop believing in the invisible man. If god exists, then why aren't we born knowing who god is? Or why were there Greek gods before Jesus Christ? There, I just wanted to get that off my chest. Thank you guys for listening. Stay rational.

Anonymous (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Not sure myself. But i'm

Not sure myself. But i'm sure if you search on wikipedia you'll find out.

THe Sumerians were recongnized from 40,000 B.C.E, the greeks, I've no clue.

I don't think it will take the same amount of time tho. THe greeks were different people. We humans today are different people also. Perhaps not in terms of irrationality, but in terms of a modern, more populated world that will have an effect on how long Christain mythology will have a hold on this planet.

andie923
User is offlineOffline
thats a really good point.

thats a really good point.
I don't think people will ever stop believeing in god... as long as there are questions there will be people believeing in the bible's answers to them... and perhaps even when science answers these questions, there will be people who were raised to blindly follow their religion that will never give it up, and raise their children the exact same way.

blood pig
blood pig's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree.

[quote=andie923]thats a really good point.
I don't think people will ever stop believeing in god... as long as there are questions there will be people believeing in the bible's answers to them... and perhaps even when science answers these questions, there will be people who were raised to blindly follow their religion that will never give it up, and raise their children the exact same way. [/quote]
I'm having to completely agree with you.
There are already some facts to how we really came to this earth, sure they're not solid, but it's still something; I know people who still cease to believe that it's all made up to try to disprove religion. I go to a school full of religious hicks and during an Evolution chapter, numerous people had told me, that no matter what, even if science can prove what they believe to be false, they'll still follow and believe in their God.
I guess it makes them feel better when they can HOPE that there's someone watching over us?

Nick
User is offlineOffline
With all the new technology

With all the new technology nowadays, religion has been able to spread more rapidly and become much stronger. The Greeks were just a small country with little knowledge of science... Now, if one idiot comes up with a half-baked argument for God *coughraycomfortcough* it'll be all over the internet and the world in a matter of seconds, with more and more people clinging to it in order to rationalise their faith. It's sad, really.

www.myspace.com/nickpoling

blood pig
blood pig's picture
User is offlineOffline
needing to belong

I think part (probably a smaller percentage though) of it is the needing to belong. Some people will just take apart in one not knowing what it's all about. I always hear "well my mom told me this, my dad told me that." Not a lot of people actually go out and gain knowledge on religion THEMSELVES then decides what's right for them it seems. Maybe that's just how it is around here though.
"To build my own religion. No Gods. No Laws"-Otep

Stephen
Stephen's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree, sort of

I think that god-building is a part of human nature(the same with magic and superstitions).

The current god may very well die off eventually but another will likely take his place.

'You may believe in stones, brother. Just don't beam me with them!"
~Wafa Sultan

keasbynights241
keasbynights241's picture
User is offlineOffline
Engrained

[quote=Stephen]I think that god-building is a part of human nature(the same with magic and superstitions).

The current god may very well die off eventually but another will likely take his place.

'You may believe in stones, brother. Just don't beam me with them!"
~Wafa Sultan
[/quote]

I agree... The belief in God has been so engrained into our minds that it will be very hard for us to give it up (not us specifically, us as in humans in general. We obviously already have.). It's been the standard belief for upwards of 8 centuries. Human nature takes a long time to change, especially after 8,000 years of "conditioning" I guess.

Bobby
Bobby's picture
User is offlineOffline
Needing to belong- more on this

"I think part (probably a smaller percentage though) of it is the needing to belong. Some people will just take apart in one not knowing what it's all about. I always hear "well my mom told me this, my dad told me that." Not a lot of people actually go out and gain knowledge on religion THEMSELVES then decides what's right for them it seems. Maybe that's just how it is around here though."

You are very right. I've often talked to my mom about why she believes in god, and why she attends church. Everytime I ask her, it's the same response. It gives her something to believe in, something to guide her, somewhere she can fit in no matter what. My mother is a very open minded person. She was the first one to notice my... disinterest in god. She actually asked me "Do you believe in god" to which I replied "No". After that, she didn't make me go to any church functions or services. Most human being's are too weak minded to believe in anything else. They believe that if they go to church, kiss the popes feet and wash his dish's, that they will be saved from eternal damnation. Even if they kill they can ask for "forgiveness of their sins" and possibly be saved.

So, to answer your question... Greek mythology really hasn't completely died out. No religion has really completely died out. If there is someone who still believes the Greek gods still exist, then the religion isn't dead. There are too many religions that exist to have every single person NOT believe in god. Look at the muslims. Most of them are so devoted they take pilgrimage's to mosque's to worship. Mosque's that are even hundreds to thousands of miles away. They are... I wanna say brainwashed... from when they are born. They take little kids and train them to be terrorist, from the day they are born pretty much. They will continue to do this until the USA decides to bomb them for it.

:-)

Voided
User is offlineOffline
my thoughts

I don't think the Greeks really gave it up on their own. It was probably a combo of their culture dying and other religions being brought the people. Although if you want to blame someone I would think it would be the Romans...

Greek -> Taken over by Rome -> Rome became Christian

correct me if I'm wrong, I am going off of memory here...

AgnosticAtheist1
AgnosticAtheist1's picture
User is offlineOffline
Correct

Greek religion died off quite quickly after Rome became Christian. The reason being, there were so many similar cults to Christianity(like that of Mithras) that it at first became another myth of the pantheon. Christianity was slowly integrated in. This is why Christmas is on Dec. 25(Festivus/Saturnalia)

-There is no sin save faith

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you think, maybe that if

Do you think, maybe that if greek mythology was overran by christianity and forgotten , that christianity will eventually be overran by atheism, and forgotten as well?

AgnosticAtheist1
User is offlineOffline
Doubt it

Simply because there are many people who are very... simpleminded

Most people who change religions either give up religion, or go from one to another. The ones who simply change religion, are generally always looking to have some handed down, cut and clear answers and meanings to life, and atheism doesn't provide something like that. Being more rational, it encourages for the most part, freethought, which is simply too much for some people. It's sad, but probably true

-There is no sin save faith

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
It's all abou politics

It's all about politics people... secular countries (france,sweden...) in europe have managed to diminish the power of religion...

Stanley Spadowski
Stanley Spadowski's picture
User is offlineOffline
I havnt really looked at the

I havnt really looked at the other posts, but I definatly think that people should still believe in Zeus. the guy will own you any day of the week. I dont neccessarily believe in him, or the other gods for that matter, but I feel that it'd be a trendy thing to do.

Greg
Greg's picture
User is offlineOffline
wow, you just suprise me.

wow, you just suprise me. Trendy..... wow

keasbynights241
keasbynights241's picture
User is offlineOffline
Way to be, Slomka.

Way to be, Slomka.

AgnosticAtheist1