Debating Tips

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
Debating Tips

Note that this is NOT about identifying fallacies or poor reasoning in one's opponent's arguments, or in one's own. This thread is for material related to debating as taken separate from any particular debate.

Tip #1: Your opponent's retort only has to be plausible to your opponent. This effectively prevents you from having the argument to end all arguments. So don't waste your time trying to find or use such an argument.

Tip #2: Don't take things too seriously. You're not a warrior of truth and justice saving the world from the ignorance and willful stupidity of people on the internet, and acting like you are won't get you anywhere. You're just another moron on the internet with an opinion as far as everyone else is concerned.

Tip #3: Nitpicking semantics does not make you a clear thinker. If you don't understand somebody's intent, ask them to rephrase or give an example. If they can't make sensible examples, you're wasting your time asking for a sensible definition. There's nothing wrong with flexible definitions so long as context provides sufficient information about what is being said.

Tip #4: If you're trying to convert someone to your way of thinking, it's a bad idea to antagonize them. Even if they begin agreeing with you (which your antagonism does nothing to press them toward), they'll still remember you as a jerk and as a bad example of how to go about persuading people.

Tip #5: It is more effective to deepen your opponent's understanding of something than it is to try to uproot it. It is easier to teach them something new than to fix their mistakes. Whenever possible, preference should be given to the former.

Tip #6: It doesn't bother your opponent when you contradict them. It does bother them when they contradict themselves.

Add your own tips!

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Good stuff Z, like
Good stuff Z, like always. [quote=Zhwazi]Tip #6: It doesn't bother your opponent when you contradict them. It does bother them when they contradict themselves.[/quote] I think that ties in with the difference between internal and external arguments. External ones have you contradict their premises, internal ones assume the premises to be true but show them to be mutually contradictory. I've got some of my own ones that I might post later (spent Christmas day with no religious stuff, w00t).

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Take 'em however you can

Take 'em however you can and draw what conclusions you may. :) Post your tips whenever you get a chance, more information is better.

Tip #7: Words can lie, but real decisions will always show you what somebody is made of.

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Tip #8: You don't win

Tip #8: You don't win style points for acting like you've just made the argument that singlehandedly demolishes your opponent's worldview unless you actually do it. So know when you've done it, and don't act like you have when you haven't, it just makes your opponent look good.