These topics are all dead...

Scyth3s
Scyth3s's picture
User is offlineOffline
These topics are all dead...

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Dude the entire board has
Dude the entire board has been dead for about a year. I'm probably the only member from back then, posting now. I'm hoping it'll get alive soon, though.

butterbattle
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, definitely check out

Yes, definitely check out the main forum at www.rationalresponders.com. It is always active. 

Oh, by the way, Noor, nice video on the Creation Museum.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
The video was good but I
The video was good but I can't take credit for it. It was the SAIU here. Heh. The main RRS forum is like totally suuuuuuper-active, while this board is exactly the opposite.

Aaron1212
Aaron1212's picture
User is offlineOffline
ive been trying to get some

ive been trying to get some people i know to join this forum there are VERY few atheists were i live.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Hahahaha I LOVE the display
Hahahaha I LOVE the display picture Scyth3s! I know atheists at the Secular Alliance here (approx. 100 people I believe), but very few are actually teens.

butterbattle
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Aaron1212 wrote:ive been

[quote=Aaron1212]

ive been trying to get some people i know to join this forum there are VERY few atheists were i live.

[/quote]

That's a great idea! One of the main reasons religion has been on the decline is the rise of modern communication. If you were a Protestant living in South Carolina in the 1800s, and you were losing faith in God, who would you talk to? If your parents told you that atheists actually worshipped the devil, how could you even find out for yourself? Where could you find someone that actually supported your desire to think freely in a tiny, backwater, Pentecostal farming community? But, nowadays, you can watch NOVA on TV, you can go to the bookstore and buy The End of Faith, you can search on google and communicate with millions of people from all walks of life.

The thing is, successfully reorganizing and analyzing your own thoughts is usually only half the battle. The other problem lies with the environment, an environment that coerces, indoctrinates, and lies. Every year, at least tens of thousands of formerly religious men and women stay in the closet, from the fear that they will be shunned and disrespected by their own friends and family if anyone found out that they converted to another religion or became a non-theist. The saddest part is, they frequently are.     

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Noor, I appreciate you
Noor, I appreciate you consistently checking in here to make new teens feel welcome even though there isn't much activity here. I still believe this site is needed and I still believe it should be governed by teens without me or the rest of my crew getting involved.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
The internet's definitely
The internet's definitely one of the main reasons for the rise of atheism. Back home I didn't know ANYone in real life who shared my thoughts and philosophies, so all my work was online. Now I've been getting involved with philosophical groups here at university, so it's been really different talking about philosophy in real life. And Brian, thanks! It'd be awesome to see this place alive again. I've told the Secular Alliance here about FTT, but I think I'll post a link here on their board for the teens, although there's not that many.

Aaron1212
Aaron1212's picture
User is offlineOffline

very true statment, i know many people from my area that are "in the closet" so to speack. i myself have been very open with my belifs and honest viewpoints even to some people who have been very hostile. one key to makeing this group a success would be to have the members be very vocal about this group and other means with which borderline theists and even practiceing church members can join the non-thiestic community, another means with which to make this group popular is to make it seem very professional some of the few regular member's on this site are already very good at that. one of the biggest chalanges i myself as a non-theist has had is that most people don't take me seriously, usually older more religious people brush me off as being "young" and not haveing "life-expirence" despite showing clear logical points which cannot usually be really be disputed by them they continue to argue that dispite everything my age is the key point.

p.s. I have not seen any banners for this site yet, if anyone can point me in the direction of a few that would be good if there are none easuilly avalible they should be made and a link should be posted in the side search bar. Banners are a good free advertising method that can be posted on forums and social networking sites to spread the word about this group.

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, the "you're young and
Yeah, the "you're young and you'll change as you grow older" line is common, but you can point out that you are using arguments from people that were much older, including Russell (died at age 97 as an atheist) or Asimov or Chomsky or whoever. And there's a collection of banners in the "Link to Us" link in the top right-hand menu of the site (quick link).